Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Audio - using an SD card

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Audio - using an SD card

I've got a 2013 Q5 on order, should be here in a couple weeks. I'd like to put my music collection on an SD card and use it in the Q5. For those that have done this - hoping to ask a few questions:

(1) What audio formats are supported? Is there a list online I can look at? I'm particularly interested in whether WMA lossless is supported?

(2) What are the best ways to organize the music on the SD card?

(3) Any issues with using a 32GB card?

Thanks...
Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont have the user guide in front of me and cannot find a soft copy online right now.

1) For sure MP3. I used VBR MP3 and it played fine. Don't know about WMA though. Sorry. I prefer to keep all my audio in MP3 since it is universal.

2) That is a good question. It recognizes folders and does not appear to support a random outside of one folder. So if you wanted a crap load of music and a random play list, you would have to put all your songs in the same folder. I was going to look at what, if any, playlist formats it would recognize but have not bothered. I use a 64GB iPod plugged in the glovebox. I never have to remove it and can wifi sync anything new while parked in my garage. And I can do play lists too.

3) I used a 32GB card with no issues. My guess is that it would probably even handle 64GB. I have seen more factory 'jukebox' systems have more trouble with file quantity than file sizes or memory space. For example, my 2009 Nissan Murano would only handle 512 files regardless of the jukebox space or file sizes.

Sorry I could not be more help. Could get you 1.5 answers =)
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Here you have some answers

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...n.browser.html

Last edited by spijun; 02-25-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daisame

SNIP

3) I used a 32GB card with no issues. My guess is that it would probably even handle 64GB. I have seen more factory 'jukebox' systems have more trouble with file quantity than file sizes or memory space. For example, my 2009 Nissan Murano would only handle 512 files regardless of the jukebox space or file sizes.

In addition, the car jukebox sound quality does not appear to be on par with an SD card or iPhone (connected or Bluetooth). You only have some 10GB available in the jukebox anyway.

I have a 64GB iPhone and do not even bother to plug it in, unless I want to charge it - just use Bluetooth. I also stream Pandora through the car WiFi and Bluetooth it to the sound system - works very well.

Anyone know what type of drive the jukebox is? Is it mechanical (spinning disk) or solid state (SSD)?

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Curious, that link says the screen is only 6.5 inches. I thought the 2013 Q5 had a 7 inch screen?
Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by golfnguitarz
Curious, that link says the screen is only 6.5 inches. I thought the 2013 Q5 had a 7 inch screen?
Maybe try with the search
Glossary
under M
All Entries A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0-9

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...s.browser.html

Exist two versions:
-MMI navigation- 6.5 inches
-MMI navigation plus- 7 inches

MMI 3G: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9), and AAC files (MPEG-4)
MMI Radio Plus: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9)
Radio Symphony: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL
Radio Concert: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL

Last edited by spijun; 02-25-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dsackman
In addition, the car jukebox sound quality does not appear to be on par with an SD card or iPhone (connected or Bluetooth). You only have some 10GB available in the jukebox anyway.

I have a 64GB iPhone and do not even bother to plug it in, unless I want to charge it - just use Bluetooth. I also stream Pandora through the car WiFi and Bluetooth it to the sound system - works very well.

Anyone know what type of drive the jukebox is? Is it mechanical (spinning disk) or solid state (SSD)?

MY2013 there 20GB for music

MMI Navigation system plus – HDD-based, with MMI 3G. 3rd generation MMI system including single CD/DVD player, FM tuners, high-resolution 7” colour TFT display, 2 SD card readers and 40GB hard drive, Jukebox (20GB) for storing and managing music files in WMA and MP3 format. HDD Navigation functionality includes 3D and topographical mapping display and advanced 3D building display.

Last edited by spijun; 02-25-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Literature says 32GB max for the SD card -- Has anyone tried a 64GB card?

*EDIT*
I just did some research and found that 64GB *will* work, as long as it's formatted to FAT32.

Apparently, even 128GB is possible if it's formatted to FAT32 as well.

Last edited by JaXeN; 02-26-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickTu
(1) What audio formats are supported? Is there a list online I can look at? I'm particularly interested in whether WMA lossless is supported?
I use MP3 (320kbps works fine) and Apple AAC (straight out of the iTunes store) with mine. Sadly, I wasn't able to find any lossless format that it supports.

Originally Posted by RickTu
(2) What are the best ways to organize the music on the SD card?
I've just been doing folders for artists, and folders inside those for each album. It works for me.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

mp3 at 320kbs is the best option as far as I am aware. I tried copying all sorts of lossless formats to the SD card and none were accepted by the car. The manual does say wma, but I gave up trying to get this to work. Mine is a MY2012.

On file structure, I create a folder for each album and then name the albums by Artist - Album title e.g. (Green Day - Insomniac). Works well for me. Using an SD card or a hard drive plugged into the AMI, you don't get all the options that an iPod will give such as choosing Genre, recently played etc. I find that less useful anyway.

Quick Reply: Q5 Audio - using an SD card