Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Bi-Xenon Bulb Replacement "How To" Request

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Bi-Xenon Bulb Replacement "How To" Request

So, tonight, after two years, the main headlight bulb went out on the passenger's side. Typically an out bulb does not bother me much, however, I looked up the OEM replacement, and for the D3S it's $180 MSRP and $120 through genuineaudiparts.com! I know I drive an Audi, so the cost shouldn't be that much of a concern, but this is the first time I've ever had to replace a Xenon Bulb in any car we've owned, and wow are they expensive!

Since I would rather not get handed a $300 bill at the dealer to repalce it, I would rather purchase it myself and go for the replacement install myself. I took a quick look inside the engine bay tonight, and it looks like it shouldn't be too bad to do, a few screws and a little maneuvering. Anyone gone through this exercise with words of wisdom? I tried searching this forum and didn't come away with anything.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall several people posting that it is very difficult and one who damaged the automatic leveler. I think you need the computer to align the bulb after its installed too. Alldata probably has the procedure.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Toy Slacker
So, tonight, after two years, the main headlight bulb went out on the passenger's side. Typically an out bulb does not bother me much, however, I looked up the OEM replacement, and for the D3S it's $180 MSRP and $120 through genuineaudiparts.com! I know I drive an Audi, so the cost shouldn't be that much of a concern, but this is the first time I've ever had to replace a Xenon Bulb in any car we've owned, and wow are they expensive!

Since I would rather not get handed a $300 bill at the dealer to repalce it, I would rather purchase it myself and go for the replacement install myself. I took a quick look inside the engine bay tonight, and it looks like it shouldn't be too bad to do, a few screws and a little maneuvering. Anyone gone through this exercise with words of wisdom? I tried searching this forum and didn't come away with anything.

Thanks!
Maybe this help

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2818715
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

To make matters worst, you should change the HID bulbs in pairs or else the color and the intensity will not match.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a stupid question but what is the lifespan of a HID bulb supposed to be? Did yours fail early? Could this be a warranty issue if it didn't perform as expected?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It depends on how much night driving you do, typically, a HID bulb last a little longer than 2000 hours. I would think after 2 years, the bulb would not be covered under warranty, but it never hurt to ask.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by georgehf
This may be a stupid question but what is the lifespan of a HID bulb supposed to be? Did yours fail early? Could this be a warranty issue if it didn't perform as expected?
You read my mind.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
It depends on how much night driving you do, typically, a HID bulb last a little longer than 2000 hours. I would think after 2 years, the bulb would not be covered under warranty, but it never hurt to ask.
I appreciate all the feedback! And I just got off the phone with the local Audi dealer, and it is covered under warranty, PHEW! The auto leveler I wasn't as concerned with, as I don't have the active bending lights (or whatever Audi calls them), I was more concerned with having to remove the bumper, to remove the headlamp assembly, and then gaining access to the bulb.

But anyhow, all that concern is put aside, it's covered under warranty and I won't get handed a ~$300 bill. The car has 28 months and 25,500 Miles on it, so that does seem early to go, as the HIDs are suppose to last longer than Halogen. And our previous/other cars with Halogen last usually 4 years or 50K miles without going out or dimming too much.

I'll stop rambling now, thanks everyone!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Toy Slacker
I appreciate all the feedback! And I just got off the phone with the local Audi dealer, and it is covered under warranty, PHEW! The auto leveler I wasn't as concerned with, as I don't have the active bending lights (or whatever Audi calls them), I was more concerned with having to remove the bumper, to remove the headlamp assembly, and then gaining access to the bulb.

But anyhow, all that concern is put aside, it's covered under warranty and I won't get handed a ~$300 bill. The car has 28 months and 25,500 Miles on it, so that does seem early to go, as the HIDs are suppose to last longer than Halogen. And our previous/other cars with Halogen last usually 4 years or 50K miles without going out or dimming too much.

I'll stop rambling now, thanks everyone!
All factory HID's have auto leveling. Not just the adaptive ones.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
All factory HID's have auto leveling. Not just the adaptive ones.
Ah... well that's nice to know. Something I never really paid attention to.

Anyhow, so after waiting at the dealer 2.5 hours this morning for a procedure that I was told was only going to take 1 hour. I got my car back, and two blocks away, pulled into a parking garage and notice the passenger headlight was making a bizarre blue triangle shape on the wall in front of me. I get the color being off because it was a brand new bulb, and will eventually fade to be "close" to the old one. But because the triangle shape was there, I turned around, went back to the dealer, they took it in, and 15 minutes later came back and said the leveler bezel was broken, and the whole assembly needed to be replaced.

Thank goodness for a warranty! And I guess the "Passenger Headlight Dipped/Main Headlamp Bulb" error message doesn't always mean just the bulb is out.

A loaner car later, waiting to get good news.

Quick Reply: Q5 Bi-Xenon Bulb Replacement "How To" Request