Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 (bumpy ride??) and of course, RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by akkapeddi@gmail.com
Thanks for your comments. Appreciate your thoughts. At this point, I am sold on why Audi deserves to be paid $8K more :-). I am doing additional research on reliability - I have been reading a lot about transmission problems. At this point, I guess I am just telling myself why Q5 is a better choice but I do want to research some more about what happens 4 years from now once warranty runs over. For me, any car I buy is a keeper - I don't intend to switch cars for the next 6-7 years at least. Thanks again. I will come back to the forum if I have any additonal questions. Plan to make up my mind in the next week or two (hoping that June 1st brings some new deals ;-) with Euro value going down, I was reading on Yahoo Finance how German cars could be cheaper! :-) )
The Q5 is a much better choice than the RDX, in fact, I dont even consider them to be in the same class, but if you prioritize reliability on top of your list, you might want to re-think Japanese car again. Most Audi are pretty reliable the 1st 4-5 years, but as it gets older, it will have some expensive repairs. Generally, Japanese luxury cars are more reliable as they age, but the repair cost can be close to what the Germans are charging. In the end, it comes down to performance vs reliability, which is more important to you.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't find the Q5's ride bumpy at all. I actually find it real comfortable going over rough streets, and there are plenty here in San Francisco. Stretches that I previously slowed down for in my old Ody and my TL, I no longer do that in the Q5. I have complete confidence in it and it is not jarring. It has been much better than I expected.

Did you test drive the S-Line with the 20" wheels? That may be the culprit. I have a non-SLine with 19's.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBluu
I don't find the Q5's ride bumpy at all. I actually find it real comfortable going over rough streets, and there are plenty here in San Francisco. Stretches that I previously slowed down for in my old Ody and my TL, I no longer do that in the Q5. I have complete confidence in it and it is not jarring. It has been much better than I expected.

Did you test drive the S-Line with the 20" wheels? That may be the culprit. I have a non-SLine with 19's.
Please check the tire pressure all round!
Mine was at 45 to 48 psi when I picked it up and drove around for a few hours and felt very unusual. Stopped to check at a gas station. Reduced to 33 psi - been fine so far.
Even demo units can be overlooked at the dealership.

Of standard 18" and S-Line 20" do make huge difference as well in ride quality/comfort.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Please check the tire pressure all round!
Mine was at 45 to 48 psi when I picked it up and drove around for a few hours and felt very unusual. Stopped to check at a gas station. Reduced to 33 psi - been fine so far.
Even demo units can be overlooked at the dealership.
+1, my Q5 was at 44psi cold all around when I finally got around to checking them. At 31 psi (manual says regular load 30, max load 33 for my 19s), it made a world of difference to the ride/handling.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gronk
+1, my Q5 was at 44psi cold all around when I finally got around to checking them. At 31 psi (manual says regular load 30, max load 33 for my 19s), it made a world of difference to the ride/handling.
+2,same issue on my S Line, adjusted to 33 PSI and the ride/handling is fantastic.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aaah..this is what I missed

Originally Posted by gronk
aaaah! this is what I missed on the day I bought and now this post reminded me.. I was sitting in my new Q5 and was of course drooling at how beautiful it is. I had tire pressure as 1 of items to check off (I made a list based on this forum)..my sales guy sits in the front passenger seat, goes into the car menu and makes the current tire pressure as the baseline or benchmark or something like that. All of that while I was looking at it and I didn't ask what the pressure was then! That is after I wrote that item in the list! Sorry - too busy getting a kick and thrill out of new Q5!!! :-)

There is an option to check the current tire pressure in the menu right? I should go check it out..