Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 chains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 chains?

Has anyone tried chains? Audi parts lists them for $450. That's 4 times what I paid for Highway Patrol chains for Grand Cherokee. It doesn't appear that any chain will fit the front tires due to lack of clearance.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chelan
Has anyone tried chains? Audi parts lists them for $450. That's 4 times what I paid for Highway Patrol chains for Grand Cherokee. It doesn't appear that any chain will fit the front tires due to lack of clearance.
Ouch!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So far what I have seen about the chain law is that most of states say you don't need chains if you have real winter tires. I have checked only states on west side, under and above the Kansas.

Last winter I got into the police patrol chain check point at Big Bear in LA and with real winter tires (not all season crap) I floored the gas when others started fitting chains. So long suckers with summer tires . State may require you to carry chains in your car even if you have winter tires and that is why I had chains in my trunk but I never used those as cops always checked is it awd with winter tires and off you go...

Another reason why I do not recommend chains only on 2 wheels is that when those are on rear wheels, no matter of ABS brakes, you loose steering traction when car does not slow down as front wheels are locking all the time and ABS units reduces the braking power to nothing and you can't turn wheels too sharp as sharp manouvers will make you loose front traction (happened to my borther-in-law at Big Bear as at T-junction, he slid and slammed his beemer to road side bank, lucky not hard so no dent's)

There is slim cables available for low clearance cars but as front upper knuckle is so close to tire, it is 50/50 chance it works or not. Set is just 100 bucks so I might check it out if I have nothing else to do

Last edited by kleinbus; 11-06-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The manual states that chains can only be fitted to the rear. Nothing beats a set of real snows. Chains can cause some serious damage to the vehicle if installed incorrectly or driven too fast. Do yourself a favor and skip the chains.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MCNIERNEYC
The manual states that chains can only be fitted to the rear. Nothing beats a set of real snows. Chains can cause some serious damage to the vehicle if installed incorrectly or driven too fast. Do yourself a favor and skip the chains.

+2 and those are pita.

Sure fine equipment to go forest for snow off-roading but on normal street real pita.

At Big Bear on our family vacation, we had 4 cars going up and I was only one with real winter tires, we had to pull over every darn 30 min drive to check tightness and alignment of chains and lucky we did that as one car almost threw off the chains.

Most chains and cables speed limit is max 30 mph...

Last edited by kleinbus; 11-06-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have a second home up in Big Bear (headed there this weekend) and it only snowed once after I got my Q5 this year (end of season). It was quite a snow storm and while the hwy patrol was making most put chains on, I flew right by. Car stuck to that road like no one's business. I can't wait for this winter season so I can drive her up there in the snow more. lol

But others are right, chains CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be fitted to the front tires on the Q5. Make sure, if you do use them, you only fit them to the rear tires. You will do damage otherwise.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Good info
Old 11-12-2009, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks for chain advice

Thanks to kleinbus and others for their reply. I've got all seasons with the little snowflake on the mountain on the sidewall so I'm guessing I'll be all right. Chains are a scary proposition with multi-link suspension and brake lines so close to the rear tire. I'n new at forum participation but I'll figure it out. This forum rocks! I'm headed out on a road trip in the Q5 from Seattle area to Palm Springs w/detour to Yosemite. It should be a good shakedown cruise. Thanks again
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as you take it slow in any snowy sections, you should be fine. If your around this weekend you should join the Alki to Pt Defiance drive. I don't want to be the only Q5 out there. Check the PacNW forum for details.

Originally Posted by Chelan
Thanks to kleinbus and others for their reply. I've got all seasons with the little snowflake on the mountain on the sidewall so I'm guessing I'll be all right. Chains are a scary proposition with multi-link suspension and brake lines so close to the rear tire. I'n new at forum participation but I'll figure it out. This forum rocks! I'm headed out on a road trip in the Q5 from Seattle area to Palm Springs w/detour to Yosemite. It should be a good shakedown cruise. Thanks again
Old 11-14-2009, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FitzLA
I have a second home up in Big Bear (headed there this weekend) and it only snowed once after I got my Q5 this year (end of season). It was quite a snow storm and while the hwy patrol was making most put chains on, I flew right by. Car stuck to that road like no one's business. I can't wait for this winter season so I can drive her up there in the snow more. lol

But others are right, chains CAN NOT and SHOULD NOT be fitted to the front tires on the Q5. Make sure, if you do use them, you only fit them to the rear tires. You will do damage otherwise.
Did you have winter tires or the all-season?

Bob

Quick Reply: Q5 chains?