Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Dynamic drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Dynamic drive impressions

Drove the Q5 3 TDI diesel the other day and loved it, I also eventually (thinking it was one of those gimmicks) tried the dynamic drive and also loved it ...thought it made it feel and handle more like my BMW 335i when it was in dynamic mode, but maybe I was fooling myself and needed more time especially when I read the latest drive.com.au review which said...

The Drive team's experience of A4s with and without Audi's optional ($3050) Drive Select is that the car's ride and steering are better without this variable steering and suspension system. And it seems it will be a case of deja vu with the A4-based Q5.
There's always a firmness to the Q5's ride, and whether the driver selects Comfort, Auto or Dynamic modes, the suspension - although never crashy - rarely feels relaxed regardless of surface quality.
The steering is also best left in the default Auto mode for a happy medium. It's excessively light and inconsistently weighted in Comfort mode, while it impersonates a PlayStation steering wheel accessory with artificial heaviness in Dynamic mode.

Has anyone had any experience with the dynamic drive as other reviews on the net have said it was one of the best features
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drove the 3.2L FSI Q5 with drive select....that's all we get here . However I didn't think it was worth the extra money for several reasons:

1.It's another thing to fool around with that would keep my mind off the enjoyment of driving.
2. The article above in my opinion is correct. I thought the steering in default mode was just right.
3. It felt me like the comfort and dynamic modes were a bit contrived, as if certain criteria had been decided upon as to what a 'comfort' mode or a 'dynamic' mode should have i.e. unduly heavy steering for dynamic mode driving.

So I ended up leaving it out. But having said that the drive select option is a personal preference like the color of the car. Some drivers might like the option of shifting to different modes, or others may want to stick to comfort or dynamic vs. default. Depends on whether you see it as adding enough value for the cost.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
q5!
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mpurewal
I drove the 3.2L FSI Q5 with drive select....that's all we get here . However I didn't think it was worth the extra money for several reasons:

1.It's another thing to fool around with that would keep my mind off the enjoyment of driving.
2. The article above in my opinion is correct. I thought the steering in default mode was just right.
3. It felt me like the comfort and dynamic modes were a bit contrived, as if certain criteria had been decided upon as to what a 'comfort' mode or a 'dynamic' mode should have i.e. unduly heavy steering for dynamic mode driving.

So I ended up leaving it out. But having said that the drive select option is a personal preference like the color of the car. Some drivers might like the option of shifting to different modes, or others may want to stick to comfort or dynamic vs. default. Depends on whether you see it as adding enough value for the cost.
I agree!

That's what I felt when drove A4 test drive... and you won't even feel it much unless it is a HWY.

My Q5 does not have DS but everything else!

Thanks,
~Palani