Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5: how to make it better

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with regard to the full size spare.
What happens if the compressor does not work? Also all these bits and pieces to mess with... it works but it is fussy. And, if you're on the highway shoulder its a huge danger to be changing a tire if its on the driver's side. A compromise might be the car has runflats and then has the spacesaver spare. The spacesaver can then be installed in a safe location. I know, runflats are expensive. and are not as supple, etc. but I have them on my 3 series and there is no worries. No rim damage or loss of control if there is a catastrophic air loss.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by torzeck
I agree with regard to the full size spare.
What happens if the compressor does not work? Also all these bits and pieces to mess with... it works but it is fussy. And, if you're on the highway shoulder its a huge danger to be changing a tire if its on the driver's side. A compromise might be the car has runflats and then has the spacesaver spare. The spacesaver can then be installed in a safe location. I know, runflats are expensive. and are not as supple, etc. but I have them on my 3 series and there is no worries. No rim damage or loss of control if there is a catastrophic air loss.
If you can afford an Audi, you can afford 100 bucks a year for AAA road service. Let them change the tire for crying out loud if you're worried about changing on the driver's side on the highway. No shame in that - that's what they are there for...or, get out of harm's way, change the tire and be done with it...I guess I don't see how this is a Big Deal(TM)??? It's a car guys, let's not forget - the world delivers lemons sometimes, learn to make the ****in lemonade, aright?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ManWIthAPlan
If you can afford an Audi, you can afford 100 bucks a year for AAA road service. Let them change the tire for crying out loud if you're worried about changing on the driver's side on the highway. No shame in that - that's what they are there for...or, get out of harm's way, change the tire and be done with it...I guess I don't see how this is a Big Deal(TM)??? It's a car guys, let's not forget - the world delivers lemons sometimes, learn to make the ****in lemonade, aright?
I agree, but man.....
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

First of all, I think AAA is a lot less than $100 a year. Maybe I'm wrong. BUt I wouldn't know because my Audi (and all my previous cars) come with roadside assistance, and they change the tires for you. I have already used Audi Roadside. They're great.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
First of all, I think AAA is a lot less than $100 a year. Maybe I'm wrong. BUt I wouldn't know because my Audi (and all my previous cars) come with roadside assistance, and they change the tires for you. I have already used Audi Roadside. They're great.
I have AAA Plus, so I think its right at about 100 bucks, tows up to 100 miles no questions asked. I take long trips. Regardless, the point is it's not hard to deal with a well-engineered inflatable spare with included air compressor.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have AAA Plus, so I think its right at about 100 bucks, tows up to 100 miles no questions asked. I take long trips. Regardless, the point is it's not hard to deal with a well-engineered inflatable spare with included air compressor.
Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by FitzLA
Don't get me wrong. I totally agree with you.
You know, guys!
I respect every your opinion. I do.
And we can spend hours and hours here to discus one or another future of this great car. It's the manufacture, who need to pay attention.
When I was on Audi drive event, I forgot to ask all this great ppl, who show as the car inside and out - DO YOU KNOW ABOUT ISSUE with gas tank cover lead leek water? Or after you wash your car and open back door and get water inside?
And for many of as who are BMW owners - this problem with 335 oil cooler and fuel pump. 3 year past then they release this engines - every day I read post that someone get this problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Back to the original question...

How about remote start? I was going to be getting an Eddie Bauer Explorer (I know, not even in the same league) until I drove the Q5. Remote start is only like a $400 option on most Ford's. It would almost take care of not having the cooled seats.

phxflyboy
Old 05-29-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by phxflyboy
Back to the original question...

How about remote start? I was going to be getting an Eddie Bauer Explorer (I know, not even in the same league) until I drove the Q5. Remote start is only like a $400 option on most Ford's. It would almost take care of not having the cooled seats.

phxflyboy
It is not something I would expect to use very often but I agree a remote starter should be an option (if not standard) in a vehicle of this class.

In many ways, Audi seems to be playing catch up or offering "just another luxury crossover" when what it needs to do is leapfrog the competition! I remember when Lexus came on the scene they introduced as many as 30 new luxury innovations that luxury cars at the time simply did not offer. Since then everyone has copied those offerings (or tried to). Audi needs to do likewise: offer something decidedly better--not just another alternative.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does the back especially well, the A8 has had the option for a while, and experienced it myself. Works really well.
Exactly, it works especially on the back. The sistem is so effective that I put them at the maximum settig (6) only when the car has been sitting in very strong sun for many hours... And believe me...sun here in Panama is VERY VERY STRONG Most of the time I keep it set on 2 (on a 1 to 6 scale) and just forget about it.

Quick Reply: Q5: how to make it better