Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Issues :-(... Whine + rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 Issues :-(... Whine + rough idle

I've had my Q5(2009) for about 3 months now, and I've had some issues that I'm REALLY starting to get worried about as its not getting worse(so that I can take it in) but not going away either. There are basically two issues. Any guesses as to what it might be(what I can do) would be great. Unfortunately, I took it in to the dealer once and it apparently behaved so any feedback from you guys would be great.

1. Rough Idle - Once every 5-10 starts, the car starts up but sort of sputters and its a very rough idle.. After driving for a bit, it seems to return to normal. I've also noticed once the exhaust putting out a slight burning smell and I was able to see the exhaust(it looked like smoke), it was a hot day so I'm pretty sure that wasn't normal.

2. I didnt' report this issue to the tech, but I'm starting to get fed up with a really persistent whining noise. Its not obnoxiously loud, but its just a steady whine that seems to eminate from the left side of the vehicle. It almost sounds like my dad's old ford's power steering, except its not nearly as loud and as I mentioned, its persistent.

Any light you guys can shed on this would be greatly appreciated, I'm really starting to think I got a lemon of sorts. I just wish it would either "break" or "fix" itself...
Old 09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have the rough idle too, usually only when I start it first time in the morning.

As for the "whining" noise, do you still have your cross bars on top? That does tend to make a whining noise
Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Fitz, thanks for the reply!

I'm REALLY glad to hear I'm not the only one with the rough idle issue. From your response, I'm guessing you are just gonna "live with it"? I suppose thats what I'm going to do, I'm just worried that there might be something wrong that won't show up for a while. I'm currently leasing, but I had planned on buying it at lease end.

In regards to the whine, its actually there when your driving just a few miles an hour(parking lot etc), it actually might be there at idle even but I can't quite remember. It's sort of faint, but it justs keeps going. Unlike my dads truck, it doesn't get worse when you turn the wheel so I don't think its actually the power steering, but it definitely sounds like a very soft version of the power steering whine in older ford trucks.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a ecu update for the 09 Q5 for misfiring, that may be the cause of your rough idle. Ask the dealer to check the update to see if it applies to your VIN.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

G Man, thanks for the post, knowing that there is an update out there helps even more!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've experienced rough idle x 2 followed by MIL (engine light) illumination each time. Each time diagnostics indicated a misfire and was reset by Audi service. Also told to use "top tier" gas to avoid future issues but nothing regarding ECU update. One would think misfire = ECU issue...but who knows.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When did the update come out?

I actually don't think I am gonna live with it. My check engine light came on yesterday after a very rough idle at startup, so I hope this will take care of it.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

As far as I know, the update came out on May 09 but it is only valid for Q5 with production date before that, it only applies to the 3.2L engine.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I've noticed that too... see my reply to another post in remote starters thead...

Did anyone do the update? Did it actually help?

I can see the need for a remote starter... When I start the car, I can see the engine struggle at 1300 rpm for a few minutes before moving down to 800 rpms... (can't remember the exact numbers)

I have to sit there for 5 minutes (summer months with 25C outside) before driving off.. The engine seems sluggish before then and a bit jerky if you immediately drive after a cold start.

I usually watch the current fuel consumption to know when it's ready to drive. It starts off at 8.7 L/hour and drops down to 1.6 L/hour.

I don't know if it's necessary to do this but I personally feel it's better. Any opinions or comments???

So, back to the remote starter. If I can save 5 minutes during the summer time and probably longer in the winter time, then I'm all for it.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by zackweed
Hey, I've noticed that too... see my reply to another post in remote starters thead...

Did anyone do the update? Did it actually help?
I did it on my A6 with the same engine, too soon to tell since it was only a week ago but there are others in the A6 forum who had it updated since July and still no rough idle.

Quick Reply: Q5 Issues :-(... Whine + rough idle