Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Issues :-(... Whine + rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zackweed
Hey, I've noticed that too... see my reply to another post in remote starters thead...

Did anyone do the update? Did it actually help?
Ours had a slight miss only on the 1st start of the day on warm mornings (It seemed like the idle fuel mixture was off). We did the update. It idled rough in the days following the update, but then went away. IT's been 4 weeks since the upgrade and the miss hasn't returned.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sound44
I've had my Q5(2009) for about 3 months now, and I've had some issues that I'm REALLY starting to get worried about as its not getting worse(so that I can take it in) but not going away either. There are basically two issues. Any guesses as to what it might be(what I can do) would be great. Unfortunately, I took it in to the dealer once and it apparently behaved so any feedback from you guys would be great.

1. Rough Idle - Once every 5-10 starts, the car starts up but sort of sputters and its a very rough idle.. After driving for a bit, it seems to return to normal. I've also noticed once the exhaust putting out a slight burning smell and I was able to see the exhaust(it looked like smoke), it was a hot day so I'm pretty sure that wasn't normal.

2. I didnt' report this issue to the tech, but I'm starting to get fed up with a really persistent whining noise. Its not obnoxiously loud, but its just a steady whine that seems to eminate from the left side of the vehicle. It almost sounds like my dad's old ford's power steering, except its not nearly as loud and as I mentioned, its persistent.

Any light you guys can shed on this would be greatly appreciated, I'm really starting to think I got a lemon of sorts. I just wish it would either "break" or "fix" itself...
1> Do you always go to the same gas station? If so change to another top brand and only use 93 octane fuel. Also fill up when you get to a quarter of a tank. Don't wait until your fuel light comes on or has been on for a while.

2> I would wait until your first 5000 service. Tell them then about the whine and they will check it out for you. It is probably just a belt that is breaking in.

Good luck and I am sorry you are having issues.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Several Q7 owners has the similar problem on early 2007 models and even Audi did not admit but there was a design problem on oil canaster. I believe that several of us push very hard dealers and they had to change and update our cars with new and souble pump canasters.

Basicly, when you first start your car, it does not pump enough oil to engine and you will have that noise. I am not sure whether Q5 has the similar problem, but I will advice you to take the dealer and make them test next morning. If they will claim that everything is OK, make sure that get written print out that you report the problem with them.

be honest after 3 years, my car still have some rough noise in the morning, that's why I wait at least 1-2 minutes before I drive.