Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 jerks and shakes when comes to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 jerks and shakes when comes to a stop

My 2011 2.0 Q5 with about 13,500 miles started jerking and shaking when I come to a stop. Someone told me it could be a software update issues? I have an appointment for Saturday to drop it off at a dealer.

1. When should the transmission fluid be changed?
2. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with theirs?
3. Any other ideas what it might be?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2012 does this on occasion. I would be interested in any comments as well.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine started doing it last week and now it feels like what I would describe as the transmission slipping EVERY time I come to a stop.

If it was a software update issues, why would it become an issue about 1.5 years after buying it?

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

mine did this new, stopped after ~500miles

feels like the car when coming to a stop.. at around 5mph it shifts abruptly into first gear?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Mine did exactly the same thing right before my 5K service. The work order mentioned a campaign for a software update for the stereo. The issue was gone and has not been back. This service adviser said that a "stereo" software update has been known to affect other areas.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Mine did exactly the same thing right before my 5K service. The work order mentioned a campaign for a software update for the stereo. The issue was gone and has not been back. This service adviser said that a "stereo" software update has been known to affect other areas.
A friend of mine had the same issue. He said it was a software issue and a readjustment of the gears (or something like that) He did say that it took them 3 days to do this.

I'm having the same problems too occasionally. I think it depends on how hard you stop the Q5.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have similar issues with the hard shift while coming to a hard stop as well as during stop and go at low speeds. Brought it up again with the SA during my 15K service and they said they would take a look and perhaps call Audi about it since they have already done the software updates and the re-adaptation at about 5K miles.

It was great right after the adaptation for a short while. I wonder if there is a problem with the way we drive influencing the transmissions learning procedure in some weird way,
Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just wondering if anyone have a tendency to let off the gas during gear changes (as if driving a manual). I notice that the transmission doesn't cope with that as well...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default In the same boat

I have also felt that with my new q5 with less than 500 miles.... I initially thought that I should wait but the post has me thinking..
Old 06-29-2012, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a feature of most new vehicles (at least on the 2011's and 12's I've purchased/driven lately...)

the trannies downshift to assist in braking - and this is a good thing when coming to a hard stop as one poster stated earlier...

On some of the vehicles the tranny downshifted too 'early', i.e. when the engine and vehicle speed was too high and so the change from 2 to 1 seemed like it jerked when it did it...

from my understanding, the software change makes the downshift 'later' such that the change from 2nd to 1st no longer happens at a higher speed and softens the downshift...

I had a panic stop once when driving the wife's Q and GLAD it downshifted so fast to bring my speed down....

Quick Reply: Q5 jerks and shakes when comes to a stop