Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI (2010) Integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 MMI (2010) Integration

Hello,

I'm trying to dig some information about Audi's propriety MMI device (especially regarding its firmware). I live in Israel and I highly doubt ANYONE is upgrading our firmware here (during casual car maintenance)..

Anyways, maybe you guys could help me:

1) Anyone knows where is the MMI resources are located? I'm looking for the main head unit and also - for any outputs/inputs the screen might have (Video, Audio, etc).

2) Anyone happens to have a car with a non-original navigation system installed? (In my case thats an "external" touch sensitive glass cover they installed over the MMI monitor and an external computer probably WinCE). I've no idea where the console is placed and I was hoping someone had something similier and ideas where to look for it.

And the main reason I'm doing this - I'm looking for any AUX/EXT video connections. I want to convert an Android HDMI signal to RGB and plug it into the MMI. Losing touch, ofcourse, but still getting a video signal from the phone.

Such a convertor would be costly, losing video quality, but still getting my android screen on the MMI.

Ideas?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. MMI unit is one directly above air conditioning control unit. It has CD/DVD slot and under small cover slots for 2 SD cards. Unit itself most likely will have no direct input/output (like AUX or Video In) sockets, as it is operating on MOST bus, which is high bandwidth optical connection. Typical Aux/Video in ports are available as separate units (AMI or Audi Music Interface, TV Tuner box, etc) and are delivering audio and video in digital format to MMI unit. The only exception might be one Aux in socketthat is installed in comparment under central arm rest, but only in cars without AMI factory installed.
2. Firmware update - there is company Naviservice http://naviservice.com.pl/ (in Poland) that does any type of firmware/map updadates, conversion from US to EU specs etc. You can send them unit for updates if needed. More on MMI and their services you can find there:http://audiforum.us/forums/mmi.42/
3. While there is lots of videos about installation of touch screen updates on internet, I heard about only one real user who did this and presented outcome on myAUDIQ5.com forum, but I could'nt quickly find the post... Anyhow in his case it was similar to what you described solution, but installed not over MMI but over regular radio. In your case I've seen 2 solutions available on the market; one that was complete replacement of MMI (you swap units) or you install small box with all input/output connectors, SD card slot for maps either in glove box or behind the original MMI unit inside the dash. So hard to say what might be in your case.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mirekmal
1. MMI unit is one directly above air conditioning control unit. It has CD/DVD slot and under small cover slots for 2 SD cards. Unit itself most likely will have no direct input/output (like AUX or Video In) sockets, as it is operating on MOST bus, which is high bandwidth optical connection. Typical Aux/Video in ports are available as separate units (AMI or Audi Music Interface, TV Tuner box, etc) and are delivering audio and video in digital format to MMI unit. The only exception might be one Aux in socketthat is installed in comparment under central arm rest, but only in cars without AMI factory installed.
2. Firmware update - there is company Naviservice http://naviservice.com.pl/ (in Poland) that does any type of firmware/map updadates, conversion from US to EU specs etc. You can send them unit for updates if needed. More on MMI and their services you can find there:http://audiforum.us/forums/mmi.42/
3. While there is lots of videos about installation of touch screen updates on internet, I heard about only one real user who did this and presented outcome on myAUDIQ5.com forum, but I could'nt quickly find the post... Anyhow in his case it was similar to what you described solution, but installed not over MMI but over regular radio. In your case I've seen 2 solutions available on the market; one that was complete replacement of MMI (you swap units) or you install small box with all input/output connectors, SD card slot for maps either in glove box or behind the original MMI unit inside the dash. So hard to say what might be in your case.

Thank you SO much for your fast answer and the information.

Regarding 3. - the thing is this solution was already implemented by the previous owner of my car .. yet I can't find any documentation as to the whereabuots of the extra console (the navigation computer that is connected to the MMI).

Thing is, I'm not sure if I have an AMI. However, I know my car has a navigational system composed of an external touch sensitive translucent glass (attached to the MMI monitor). To activate it, I have to press a customized button on my arms reset that "switches" between the MMI console to a navigation console (it actually makes a switch - I believe it to be between 2 video outputs).

Thats why I'm looking for either MMI location or the "external navigation system" console - one of them most of a video output I can use for the HDMI convertor to my phone ..

According to what you say, having a navigational system connected to the MMI monitor means I have AMI installed (otherwise, how else would I be able to switch between MMI and NAV in the main monitor - which is the orginial audi monitor).. Now just to locate it.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not necessary you have AMI installed... One of the solutions I've seen had unit connected between radio/MMI and screen intercepting video signal from original equipment for showing all factory installed equipment data and after long press of touch screen cover was switching to displaying aftermarked unit screen. AMI installation is easy to recognize by connector installed on side (I think right one) of glove compartment. It looks a bit like 30 pin dock connector of iPhone (what I can say from pictures, I do not have one in my car). Tricky part with MOST bus is that it allows connections from all devices connected to to be source of audio video. Not all of aftermarket devices, however, are smart enough to be controlled from original car controls (on the stearing wheel or from console). that's why some tricks are used like remote controller or touch screen. Once such device is installed it can either emulate original AMI, CD changer or TV tuner to allow some controll of device or source switching...