Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 mmi without gps

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 mmi without gps

i have a 2010 Q5 and my mmi does not have the navigation options, is there an easy way to get it?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

It is possible, but is not worth a lot of money (approximately $ 5,000)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luckyluc70
i have a 2010 Q5 and my mmi does not have the navigation options, is there an easy way to get it?
I looked into this when I bought my Q. I don't know if you would like to have the factory GPS installed, is this case expect to spend a lot of money. Otherwise you could look into aftermaerket solutions. But they imply changing your screen for touch control, adding an interface that can switch between the MMI and GPS. The nice thing with that is that you can add a backup cam, dvd, and even a game console. But... that is still a costly solution. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckyluc70
A device such as this from Garmin: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod121762.html is superior to what you will have in the car. It is not quite as integrated, but that is where the benefits lie. It is a dedicated GPS device, not an add-on.

Had a '11 without NAV, now the '13 with NAV. Like the integration, but dislike the accuracy and lack of speed of the car-based NAV unit. I have found myself starting to use the NAV system on my cell phone, rather than the car system.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Agree 100% with dsackman. I had a 2012 with the nav and now have 2013 with the nav and always have an old Garmin unit in the car juts in case. Use it as well when the nav is not accurate enough 2013 seems to be better then 2012.
Got the nav because it is in one package with some other stuff I wanted, not because I wanted a built in nav system.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Or new GARMIN 7.0" display
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod112202.html
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod112203.html
Old 04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Agree 100% with dsackman. I had a 2012 with the nav and now have 2013 with the nav and always have an old Garmin unit in the car juts in case. Use it as well when the nav is not accurate enough 2013 seems to be better then 2012.
Got the nav because it is in one package with some other stuff I wanted, not because I wanted a built in nav system.
With dedicated units (Garmin) you get up to 4 map upgrades per year. With Audi you get maybe one update every four years and then it is 4 years old : Not THAT bad, but still.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I you keep Audi Connect/T Mobile subscription, would this eliminate the need for map udpdates? With Google Maps, online destinations etc., it seems like things would always be current.

Of course you'd have the ongoing subscription cost to contend with.

I noticed a lower fee ($15/mo.) now available for a 30 month subscription. It's now on an ongoing basis. This is the same one that was offered during the first 7-10 days of ownership and then expired.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

The add-on Nav works pretty well and adds a backup camera as well. The backup camera is one of the major reasons to get this for a Q5, since the Q5 has quite a bit of blind spots coming from small rear window and thick rear pillars. I can never be sure that there's not a shopping cart or a child walking behind it. Not to mention the video/audio playback options. The cost is minimal compared to a factory solution. Frankly the factory Nav does not hold a candle to a touchscreen Nav. The clicky wheel is a major drawback for entering addresses. The touchscreen is actually just an overlay over the stock screen, and it is calibrated when the unit first starts up.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I you keep Audi Connect/T Mobile subscription, would this eliminate the need for map udpdates? With Google Maps, online destinations etc., it seems like things would always be current.

Of course you'd have the ongoing subscription cost to contend with.

I noticed a lower fee ($15/mo.) now available for a 30 month subscription. It's now on an ongoing basis. This is the same one that was offered during the first 7-10 days of ownership and then expired.
Audi Connect uses Google Maps as an overlay to the basic maps. That is, it does not use Google Maps for routing. The POI's are current from Google, but if the street to get there is not in the map database, it cannot direct you there.

I have found many cases where I download an online destination, believing I will be able to drive there when I get in the car, but it often cannot find the destination. The interface does not appear to be quite as smooth as what the videos portray.

Quick Reply: Q5 mmi without gps