Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 with a 2.0T and over 6000 miles on it. First oil change at 1K miles and then at 5k. No oil consumption on MMI or dip stick!! I will continue to change it every 5K miles. For the $32.00 cost with filter for Mobil 1, 0-40. And a half hour of my time it is worth it to change it every 5K miles. Yes, I did a soft break in. The Q5 is great! Superior to the Junkxus RX350 I had and I seem to like it better than our X5.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrowne1
You're assuming it's blowby.

Also, what substance do you think is actually building up on the intake valves? Where does it come from?
You are correct. My assumption is a logical one, based on my background and experience on things automotive. It could be a leak; it could be the crankcase ventilation; it could be other things. However, on a car of this age and design, it is most likely what it is for other cars; it burns oil, plain and simple.

Regarding the others, it appears to be carbon. However, the threads discussing this show that, for at least one of the OPs, it is the exhaust, not the intake, that is having problems. They had to drop the engine to clean the exhaust air ports. If your point is that the oil is somehow getting into the intake and clogging up the OP's intake valves, well, maybe. But his symptoms are (1) the car is using a quart of oil every 5k. That is not a reason, absent more, for AoA to tear down his engine and spend money trying to figure out why the engine normally burns oil.

In any case, your correlation isn't relevant (yet). The OP in the thread says his engine is using oil. My comment was that it is normal and that he should just drive it. If no cars ever use oil, then why have a level sensor and/or a dipstick?

OP, drive the car. And carry a quart of oil with you in case you go on a long trip.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by serranot
You are correct. My assumption is a logical one, based on my background and experience on things automotive. It could be a leak; it could be the crankcase ventilation; it could be other things. However, on a car of this age and design, it is most likely what it is for other cars; it burns oil, plain and simple.
My background and experience on things automotive tell me that I've owned a half-dozen VAG vehicles, none of which make oil disappear at that rate, and that given the precision of current manufacturing, that level of consumption is not normal or acceptable regardless of the AoA/dealer party line.

Regarding the others, it appears to be carbon. However, the threads discussing this show that, for at least one of the OPs, it is the exhaust, not the intake, that is having problems. They had to drop the engine to clean the exhaust air ports. If your point is that the oil is somehow getting into the intake and clogging up the OP's intake valves, well, maybe.
There is no "maybe" about it. There is a systematic issue with VAG (and other manufacturers') direct injection engines building up deposits on the intake valves, and the material being deposited there is primarily oil vapors.

The exhaust port issues being reported may be an entirely different issue, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were ultimately linked to deposits from oil.

In any case, your correlation isn't relevant (yet). The OP in the thread says his engine is using oil. My comment was that it is normal and that he should just drive it. If no cars ever use oil, then why have a level sensor and/or a dipstick?
That's like asking "if your tires don't have holes in them, why have a pressure gauge?" The fact that there is a way to confirm what should be there does not mean it's "normal" for it to disappear at such a fast rate.

Last edited by dbrowne1; 02-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

... However, the threads discussing this show that, for at least one of the OPs, it is the exhaust, not the intake, that is having problems....
I'm not so sure that it has anything to do with the exhaust per se. The secondary air injection ports which happen to be in the exhaust manifolds become plugged. The source of that air - and presumably the plugging, - is from the intake side of the motor. The same vapor stream that messes up the intake valves with carbon and coke.

Last edited by ELEVENS; 02-20-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I'm not so sure that it has anything to do with the exhaust per se. The secondary air injection ports which happen to be in the exhaust manifolds become plugged. The source of that air - and presumably the plugging, - is from the intake side of the motor. The same vapor stream that messes up the intake valves with carbon and coke.
I see.

But that has nothing to do with an engine that burns a quart per 5k of oil and everything to do with the crankcase oil vapor. My point exactly.

It's normal.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My background and experience on things automotive tell me that I've owned a half-dozen VAG vehicles, none of which make oil disappear at that rate, and that given the precision of current manufacturing, that level of consumption is not normal or acceptable regardless of the AoA/dealer party line.

There is no "maybe" about it. There is a systematic issue with VAG (and other manufacturers') direct injection engines building up deposits on the intake valves, and the material being deposited there is primarily oil vapors.

The exhaust port issues being reported may be an entirely different issue, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were ultimately linked to deposits from oil.

That's like asking "if your tires don't have holes in them, why have a pressure gauge?" The fact that there is a way to confirm what should be there does not mean it's "normal" for it to disappear at such a fast rate.
You allege that a quart per 5k is a "fast rate.". According to whom? You? Again, just because you state it does not make it true.

And, again, the vapor problem is an issue with the DFI, not the oil consumption.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You allege that a quart per 5k is a "fast rate.". According to whom? You? Again, just because you state it does not make it true.
So it's "normal" according to whom? You? And just because you state it makes it true? I have never owned a car that drank oil at that rate for any reason, going all the way back to a 1985 Scirocco. It isn't normal, despite the fact that it happens. It is a sign that oil is being forced or vaporized out somewhere.

Which is probably why there is an official "fix" for 2.0TFSI engine with excessive oil consumption involving:

1) Replacing the carter pressure control valve
2) Replacing the crankshaft seal ring
3) Software update

It's just that Audi seems to think that 1 qt/1K miles is perfectly normal, which is absurd. You're essentially replacing the entire sump over 5K miles if you do that.

And, again, the vapor problem is an issue with the DFI, not the oil consumption.

So the "normal" quart or more that just disappears ever 5K miles, does Scotty beam it aboard the Enterprise? Or do you think maybe it actually ends up, you know, going somewhere else in the engine? Like maybe through the PCV or EGR systems and then onto things like the intake valves and exhaust ports? Because it's not fuel that builds up on the valves and valvestems, it's oil vapor residue.

Last edited by dbrowne1; 02-20-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it's "normal" according to whom? You? And just because you state it makes it true? I have never owned a car that drank oil at that rate for any reason, going all the way back to a 1985 Scirocco. It isn't normal, despite the fact that it happens. It is a sign that oil is being forced or vaporized out somewhere.

Which is probably why there is an official "fix" for 2.0TFSI engine with excessive oil consumption involving:

1) Replacing the carter pressure control valve
2) Replacing the crankshaft seal ring
3) Software update

It's just that Audi seems to think that 1 qt/1K miles is perfectly normal, which is absurd. You're essentially replacing the entire sump over 5K miles if you do that.

So the "normal" quart or more that just disappears ever 5K miles, does Scotty beam it aboard the Enterprise? Or do you think maybe it actually ends up, you know, going somewhere else in the engine? Like maybe through the PCV or EGR systems and then onto things like the intake valves and exhaust ports? Because it's not fuel that builds up on the valves and valvestems, it's oil vapor residue.
I'm done with you. Because all the cars you have owned never burned any oil, then I guess that's the standard.

No, it gets burned! That's what normally happens in a normal engine. Do a search.

And we're not talking about a quart every 1k, we're talking every 5k.

Dude, you don't get to just make up facts about where you think the oil is going. Search the Internet and experience life. I've owned about 17 cars. Some went through a quart every 1500 miles (Isuzu); some every 4k (my current M3); and some none (my Honda).

While I would prefer not to add oil, I'm not going to go in to my service advisor and whine because my car uses a quart every 5k. I suspect your service advisor winces when you come through the door to complain about how you have spent $xxxxx on a car and it just burned a quart of oil.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm done with you. Because all the cars you have owned never burned any oil, then I guess that's the standard.

No, it gets burned! That's what normally happens in a normal engine. Do a search.
Do a search where? In the cobwebs of your massive, cavernous brain?

I thought you were done with me?

And we're not talking about a quart every 1k, we're talking every 5k.
1qt every 1K is the cutoff for where Audi considers it excessive.

Dude, you don't get to just make up facts about where you think the oil is going. Search the Internet and experience life. I've owned about 17 cars. Some went through a quart every 1500 miles (Isuzu); some every 4k (my current M3); and some none (my Honda).
DUDE, you are unbelievable. Hypocritical does not even begin to describe you. Now your life experience is somehow gospel, and I'm supposed to believe that along with some nebulous reference to "Internet searches?" You dismiss my experience and then cite your own cars as an example?

And I'm the one who is just making up where the oil is going? Really? You seem to want to pretend that it just disappears up beezelbub's *** - at least I'm acknowledging the basic concept of conservation of mass and saying it's going somewhere.

While I would prefer not to add oil, I'm not going to go in to my service advisor and whine because my car uses a quart every 5k. I suspect your service advisor winces when you come through the door to complain about how you have spent $xxxxx on a car and it just burned a quart of oil.
I thought we already went over this - my cars don't consume oil. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used a VW/Audi dealer for service, none of which involved whining.

Last edited by dbrowne1; 02-20-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be helpful to know just what Q5 owners here are experiencing in terms of oil consumption.* Hypothetically, if 3 owners out of 20 are experiencing consumption of 2 Qts. between oil changes(10K miles) and say...15 of those same 20 are losing 1/2 Qt or less in 10K miles then all other things being equal(similar mileage and driving conditions), those 3 Qs burning 2 Qts may very well have some sort of issue.
Maybe a spreadsheet is in order.* Justforfun???
FWIW, in the past 20 yrs, I cannot recall any of the 15+ NEW cars I've owned burning oil at a rate of 2 Qts in 10K miles.* Some had oil changed at 3K, some at 5K and a few at 7.5K.* The most I can remember adding to any of them between oil changes was 3-4 OZs.* My experience only.
Based on my experience only...2 Qts in 10K miles seems excessive for a VERY low-mileage late model car.

Quick Reply: Q5 oil