Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
I know, I know.

I have always changed my oil every 3k miles in every other vehicle I have owned.

Then when getting the Audi they rec'd every 10k. I wasn't sure about that but decided to follow their schedule. At 5k, my level is always fine, so I just need to add in the extra change in between "audi mandated service" visits.

Here is a helpful chart I found in PDF with all the acceptable oils to use. It looks like the VAG oil they use at the dealer is probably synthetic. I would think so with the mileage rec'd they give.
The one thing I don't want to do is swap back & forth between synthetic and non-synthetic.

And actually, most oils on that list are synthetic so maybe the VAG oil is synthetic. Anyone know for sure? I figure it is.

http://www.zenspider.com/~pwilk/docs...il%20chart.pdf
Stay with Full Synthetic Oil. Dealers use Mobile 1 Full synthetic oil.

For me id use Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic oil, but for some reason they stop selling that here in Mass.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the computer level indicator that goes from "Max--->Min", 1 full quart?

I'm assuming it's still fine to run as long as it's not dropping below "Min" range.

Not exactly sure what that screen would look like if it did. I'm sure there would be a light on somewhere saying fill oil now.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

All the dealers I know here in CO use Castrol Syntec 5-40wt. I have switched to that from Mobil 1 0-40wt for both cars. And they are Porsche Dealers too.

Last edited by Reggie; 06-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just read up on it in the owners manual. It's about 3-4 pages on oil level, how to check and consumption.

It says if your level gets down to around the "Min" before your next scheduled maint visit, to top it off with approved synthetic oil (see PDF I posted), in 0.5 qt increments, while rechecking after 2 minutes each time.
It doesn't say how much oil is represented between "Max & Min", but I assume it's like it is on an indicator dipstick and it = 1 qt.

It says it may burn up to 0.5 qt per every 600 miles.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is the computer level indicator that goes from "Max--->Min", 1 full quart?

I'm assuming it's still fine to run as long as it's not dropping below "Min" range.

Not exactly sure what that screen would look like if it did. I'm sure there would be a light on somewhere saying fill oil now.
all electronic oil meter's are measured by the MAF sensor. As for measuring, your best move is to check the dip stick when the engine is cool.

There is no light showing you the oil is full. You will have to be very very cautious about filling the engine oil to 4.8 qtz MAX you can do is 5qtz since its a turbo charged car. So check the dip stick whenever you add engine oil. OVER FILLING the engine oil will blow your head gaskets.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Reggie
All the dealers I know here in CO use Castrol Syntec 5-40wt. I have switched to that from Mobil 1 0-40wt for both cars
it all depends on the dealers, My dealer is mixed with Porche and Audi so they use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil only. But i highly recommend the Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic if you find any around your city/town. Price wise the Pennzoil Ultra comes out to be around 60ish just for the oil. Very smooth and quiet. you can feel and hear the sudden change of grade oil from PNZ Full Synthetic to PNZ Ultra Synthetic. But thats my thoughts since i use to change my oil every 3500miles on my Honda Civic Si.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to change my oil at 5,000 miles religiously using full synthetic oil on all my cars. I now change oil at the "recommended" intervals. There's alot of dicussion out there regarding oil change intervals. With tight tolerances of the new vehicles, I don't think it is necessary to change oil as often as we used to.... JMHO. To sure, you can always send in for an official oil analysis. In the end, do whatever makes you happy.... it's your $$$!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Panzer, how accurate do you think the digital reading is vs. the dipstick you added to give you real readings?

Seems after about 7,000 miles my level always drops to just above the minumum digital readout.

I need to start going every 5k I guess. Just trying to decide if I should wait on my 25k service, or add a bit of oil, or get a change at the 23k now, then again at 25k at my regular service.
I changed the oil at 1000 miles then at 5k and every 5k from there. To answer your question the dip stick and MMI have both read full before I changed the oil. Remember the 2.0 oil capacity is 4.8-4.9 quarts depending on the source. I put 5 quarts in as you can never empty the oil containers completely. The oil capacity seems low for a turbo engine. My son's Saab holds 6 quarts (2.0 turbo). The BMW 328 I traded had a capacity of almost 7 quarts! My old Benz 2.3 gas 4 banger non turbo had a capacity of 7.25 quarts!

Go with the 5k oil and filter change. Cheap insurance.

This topic has been beaten to death on this forum.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My dealer is an Audi/Porsche dealer also.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

It says it may burn up to 0.5 qt per every 600 miles.
Yeah, so they can't get out of replacing engines under warranty. CYA statement if I've ever seen one.

Quick Reply: Q5 oil?