Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lots of speculation, hearsay, feel good, and "common wisdom" in this thread regarding OCI's (oil change intervals).

What's the factual basis for all this OCI advice? The only way to know is a UOA (used oil analysis). Some FSI engine designs suffer fuel dilution so badly that the oil viscosity and flashpoint is beyond spec and the lubricity is out the window at 2500 miles. You have to do a UOI of the oil you intend to use to know what your OCI should be.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper;
OVER FILLING the engine oil will blow your head gaskets.
Blow head gaskets?...Not quite.
It may cause oil to froth and a loss of oil pressure but will not directly cause a head gasket to blow.
OP has but one head gasket.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was at nearly "Min". I purchased the Mobil 1 fully synthetic, 0W-40 European car spec'd oil. Followed instrctions in manual. Turned off car, set for 2 min. Check level with car off. Fill with 0.5 qt. Let set 2 min. Recheck oil. At new check it was back at full with the text "Engine Oil level OK".

Everything seems to be running fine. It said it was especially important to add if low before a long trip. I'm leaving tonight for a 2-day trip to Atlantic City, so I'll be running it. And it's nearly 100 deg here today.

Didn't want to make this trip on nearly low oil.

As for Audi stating it burns up to 0.5 qt per 600 miles. If that were true, hell, you'd never have to change the oil, just keep topping it off!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO SO SO SO Many studies done out there, and on VAG vehicles also, that show fullsynthetic taken from engines at 10k mi changes is in pristine condition still.

Just do a simply google search and you will see that changing synthetic oil in an Audi is a complete, and under waste of money, resources and a drag on the environment.

TOTALLY UNNECESSARY.

In fact the oil could probably go 20K and be just fine..... the oil filter is another story...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zepharus
SO SO SO SO Many studies done out there, and on VAG vehicles also, that show fullsynthetic taken from engines at 10k mi changes is in pristine condition still.

Just do a simply google search and you will see that changing synthetic oil in an Audi is a complete, and under waste of money, resources and a drag on the environment.

TOTALLY UNNECESSARY.

In fact the oil could probably go 20K and be just fine..... the oil filter is another story...
Agreed. Problem is, they're pre-FSI studies. Completely different animal. On the FSI-engined Audi RS4, I have a database of over 100 UOA that suggests the factory swill VW 502.00 Castrol 5W-40 is pooped out before 3000 miles based upon high wear metals, fuel dilution, viscosity lowering, and flash point lowering.

I don't know what the OCI should be for any particular oil on my 3.2L FSI Q5. That's the whole point. We have to quit guessing and get a UOA to prove where your OCI should be with whatever oil you choose, without stabbing in the dark without facts..

Last edited by ELEVENS; 06-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just drove a 200 mile leg of the trip. Oil gauge still reads "okay", but is now not completely up to the "Max" as it was right after adding. I'm comfortable leaving it where it is for now.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Blow head gaskets?...Not quite.
It may cause oil to froth and a loss of oil pressure but will not directly cause a head gasket to blow.
OP has but one head gasket.
it does happen.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just brought home a 2012 3.2 Prestige and figured I'd start lurking around the oil threads.

I do UOAs for my Subaru STi and I agree that by 3500 miles, those turbo Boxer engines have shredded the factory-recommended 5w-30 synthetic to 20 weight which is why a lot of STi/WRX owners use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. However, I'm thinking the NA 3.2 doesn't beat on the oil as much so I'm looking to go with the 10K service interval for the Q.

www.bobistheoilguy.com is a good site for you oil nerds.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Q5ers.

Great info. Purchased my first Audi a couple of weeks ago. While poking under the hood, I noticed the damn thing doesn't have a dip stick. What I thought was the dip stick is just a cap, I thought I broke something and started freaking out. Then from reading some threads found out it comes without a dip stick. I saw on another thread yesterday where someone had posted the part number for a dip stick, but I can't find this morning. When I went to the Audi dealer yesterday, they told me they didn't have a part number for a dip stick.

Does anyone have a part number for a 3.2 oil dip stick? I like a lot of people, I like checking my oil the ol' fashioned way, by sight. Sensors go out all the time. The MMI is cool and all, but I'd rather rely on my eyes.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Part # is: 06E-115-611-H. I got mine at: http://audi.bernardiparts.com/default.aspx

You need to call them and mention part. It's not listed on website.

Quick Reply: Q5 oil?