Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 owners, sound off on snow performance on the stock tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 owners, sound off on snow performance on the stock tires

What's everyone's opinion of the Q5 who's driven it in the snow on the stockies? Any traction or stopping issues? Trying to get some feedback on things since this is a new car. Anyone gone stocks vs winters yet?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any traction or stopping issues? Trying to get some feedback on things since this is a new car. Anyone gone stocks vs winters yet?

Mine came with Dunlop Grand Trek All-Seasons and last winter got reminder all-season is "summer tire" and useless at winter.

Got winter set with Bridgestone Blizzaks and yesterday was 1st blizzard and ice, snow was fine but ice is ice and only studded tires help there...

At winter, there is always traction issues, even with studded tires. Acceleration with most modern AWD is rarely issue but the stopping easilly becomes hairy "oh no no no".

Last edited by kleinbus; 12-09-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
What's everyone's opinion of the Q5 who's driven it in the snow on the stockies? Any traction or stopping issues? Trying to get some feedback on things since this is a new car. Anyone gone stocks vs winters yet?
Only complait is the SLine comes with summer tires. I can understand high performance tires on an S4, but q5 should always be all seasons. That was the first thing I HAD to do to the car... Everything else is optional. I went with Yokohama parada spec X, but any all seasons would be better then summer tires.

That and sent the car our with the rubber mats. Who wants carpet these days?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

How do you like your Parada Spec X? I was thinking of buying them when I was looking for winter tires. However, I went with Dunlop 3Ds instead.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oggie
How do you like your Parada Spec X? I was thinking of buying them when I was looking for winter tires. However, I went with Dunlop 3Ds instead.
They did fine in a variety of weather. I haven't driven them in crazy snow but the have done well in everything I have thrown at them, including a few inches of snow. For anyone who doesn't require full snow tires (and most don't) it is a great alternative. I still don't understand Audi's logic on summer tires for the S-line Q5s.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Montreal had it's first snow fall, 26cm. I'm on studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 winter tires. Let's just say, I wish I had a real handbrake when taking corners.

Roads where slippery but still manage some good traction.

Overall, I'm happy with the Q5.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed@auDIYo.com
Montreal had it's first snow fall, 26cm. I'm on studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 winter tires. Let's just say, I wish I had a real handbrake when taking corners.

Roads where slippery but still manage some good traction.

Overall, I'm happy with the Q5.
Shame you trying things I wanted

For a moment I was going to pull off traction/ESP control fuse to be able to get some 4 wheel slides like I did with VW Tiguan...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Shame you trying things I wanted

For a moment I was going to pull off traction/ESP control fuse to be able to get some 4 wheel slides like I did with VW Tiguan...
If you guys want to power slide in the snow, you can always trade in your Q5 for a Toyota Pirus
Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you guys want to power slide in the snow, you can always trade in your Q5 for a Toyota Pirus
Sometimes, it a safety thing if you ask me.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed@auDIYo.com
Sometimes, it a safety thing if you ask me.
Sure it is Then a Prius will be much safer in the snow for you

I used to do these power slide in my 10 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee onlt because I had to because it didnt have a stability control system. Anytime you are sliding, you are not in control.

Last edited by The G Man; 12-11-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Q5 owners, sound off on snow performance on the stock tires