Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 owners, sound off on snow performance on the stock tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sure it is Then a Prius will be much safer in the snow for you

I used to do these power slide in my 10 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee onlt because I had to because it didnt have a stability control system. Anytime you are sliding, you are not in control.
During winter and sometimes when taking the corners. I'm going straight instead of making the turn. This is where the handbrake comes in handy.

Yeah, yeah, I can slow down more then take the corner. But still...
Old 12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you take a turn fast enough, the back will still spin out a bit, except now the stability system will correct your slide.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You can't turn off the traction control and ESP on the Q5?
Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cudakarl
You can't turn off the traction control and ESP on the Q5?

Is that why there is a big ESP OFF button on my dash? I have been trying to figure out what it does.

Last edited by PeteDin206; 12-14-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
What's everyone's opinion of the Q5 who's driven it in the snow on the stockies? Any traction or stopping issues? Trying to get some feedback on things since this is a new car. Anyone gone stocks vs winters yet?
I live in Chicago and drive to/from western Michigan. I have the Q5 with 19" OEM all-season tires.

I was a little disappointed. Most other posters on this and other threads haven't been, which makes me wonder if I'm holding too high of expectations. I nearly slid into an intersection once, and caught a few instances of tire slip when climbing modest hills on snowy roads. I remember my A4, and it never lost traction ever. The Q5 did. I am wondering whether I should get snow tires for the winter. That was a hassle I didn't want to have to mess with, but I'm considering it.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cleacut1
I live in Chicago and drive to/from western Michigan. I have the Q5 with 19" OEM all-season tires.

I was a little disappointed. Most other posters on this and other threads haven't been, which makes me wonder if I'm holding too high of expectations. I nearly slid into an intersection once, and caught a few instances of tire slip when climbing modest hills on snowy roads. I remember my A4, and it never lost traction ever. The Q5 did. I am wondering whether I should get snow tires for the winter. That was a hassle I didn't want to have to mess with, but I'm considering it.
Which OEM tire do you have? You know the rules of AWD, it will make you go, but it will not help you stop.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cleacut1

I am happen to have an S-Line Q5 where I swapped tires for winter, with some 18" Audi OEM Q5 wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport 3D snow tires. I also just bought a Q5 with 19" wheels with all-season. So I did a small comparison over the weekend as we had a small amount of snow in Michigan that stayed around enough in small patches of frozen packed snow in areas of the side streets.

I tried both Q5s with all wheels on the packed very slippery snow.

The snow tires did substantially better on the snow. I took off very aggressively on both SUVS.

The S-Line with winter tires just pulled away with hardly a sway of the body. The non-S-line on all-seasons did fish-tail and wiggle before it took off.

For what it's worth!