Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Passenger Side Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Passenger Side Mirror Question

Hi fellow Audi owners!

I have a newly (4 month old) purchased Audi Q5 with a strange problem. Since I have owned the car I have had about 5 instances where the following happens.

I will park the car...at various inside and outside locations, When I return to the car just as I pull away I will notice that the driver's side mirror is tilted toward the ground. This is a very sporadic problem that never occurs to the passenger side mirror. The auto-folding mechanism appears to work great on both mirrors and I have never noticed any issues with positioning either mirror using the power controls. I typically keep the mirror switch on the inside pointed toward the passenger mirror.

I stopped by my local Audi dealer and had them take a quick look, but they could not come up with this being related to user error or mechanical problem. When I have my first service I will address this problem with the dealer again...but I wanted to see if any fellow Audi owners may have encountered this problem.

Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds to me like you are referring to the passenger side tilt feature. If you have the mirror adjuster switch selected to the passenger mirror, when you put your Q into reverse, the mirror will tilt down to show you your back right tire in relation to a curb. The feature is mostly useful when parallel parking so you don't get road rash on your back right wheel. When you put the car back into drive and start to drive away, the mirror should go back to its original position. If you do not like this feature and want it to stop, just turn your mirror selector switch onto the drivers mirror and leave it there instead.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thinking the same thing as Mr Clopec.

I believe there is a way to turn the function off if you have a Vag.com or similar program.

V/r
Dan
Old 07-06-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Follow-up....

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Sounds to me like you are referring to the passenger side tilt feature. If you have the mirror adjuster switch selected to the passenger mirror, when you put your Q into reverse, the mirror will tilt down to show you your back right tire in relation to a curb. The feature is mostly useful when parallel parking so you don't get road rash on your back right wheel. When you put the car back into drive and start to drive away, the mirror should go back to its original position. If you do not like this feature and want it to stop, just turn your mirror selector switch onto the drivers mirror and leave it there instead.
Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply! I typically have the mirror selector switch in the passenger mirror position because I do like the feature where the PASSENGER mirror tilts when placing the vehicle in reverse. However, the problem that I am encountering is with the DRIVER's SIDE mirror only. I have no issues with the passenger side mirror operation. Regardless to the position that I place the mirror selector switch, this problem with the driver's side mirror will occur. Unfortunately it appears to happen randomly with no easily recognizable sequence of events.

Again...thank you very much for the quick reply!!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tonynatl
Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply! I typically have the mirror selector switch in the passenger mirror position because I do like the feature where the PASSENGER mirror tilts when placing the vehicle in reverse. However, the problem that I am encountering is with the DRIVER's SIDE mirror only. I have no issues with the passenger side mirror operation. Regardless to the position that I place the mirror selector switch, this problem with the driver's side mirror will occur. Unfortunately it appears to happen randomly with no easily recognizable sequence of events.

Again...thank you very much for the quick reply!!
Okay. Thank you for clarifying. The title of your thread does say "Passenger Side Mirror Question". Have you noticed any fingerprints on the glass from any culprits that may be toying with you? Does anyone else drive the car that might be hitting the selector switch when they get out of the drivers seat? Check your stored seat/mirror memory positions to make sure that "tilted" drivers mirror position isn't stored in either 1 or 2's memory. If it is it may be tied to your key fob if the seat memory feature is enabled in the MMI. Check these items and report back your findings.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Sometimes my key memory is out of sync with the memory setting assigned with the #1 and #2 memory buttons. When that happens I press my memory setting button and everything returns to proper setting.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great suggestions...and thanks for correcting the typo in the title of my post. This is indeed a Driver's side mirror issue. In answer to everyone's questions:

1) I am the only driver
2) I only use key fob #1
3) The first time this happened I noticed it pulling out of my garage. Also...I have never noticed any finger prints on the mirror.
4) Checked stored seating/mirror settings...#1 and #2. and only #1 is set

I wish it happened regularly...but it is very sporadic....in the few months that I have had the car it has happened a total of 6 times. These are all great suggestions...thanks so much for everyone's thoughts!!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I've noticed it, too

OP,

You are not alone. It happened twice to me today during a short period of time. We just picked up our new Q5 yesterday. I was getting familiar with the vehicle and was trying out the passenger mirror tiltdown feature when I noticed that it happened during a couple of quick stops while doing errands. It didn't happen at all yesterday while stopping a few times for refreshment on the long drive home. I tried to duplicate it in the driveway after I got home but it wouldn't take the bait.

My guess is that it's related to the switch and being in the passenger side position and maybe there's just something that sends the same signal to the driver's mirror simultaneously.

I'm going to continue to watch it...