Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Rattles, Thumps, and Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak coming from back seat

Originally Posted by Moofoo51
I have just started to encounter a mouse like squeak coming from the back seats when going over bumps, it is driving me mad
Moofoo51 and FitzLA- do you notice that the squeaking is worse on cold mornings? The squeaking has been driving me nuts for the last couple of weeks, but this morning it was silent - and 20 degrees warmer.

Do you think this will warrant a new back seat or do I just have to deal with the cold weather squeaks?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i took my Q5 in for the rear seat rattle this morning. lets see what happens!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jackburton
I've always had a 'ticking' like sound coming from the engire compartment, but have been told by 3 separate people at the dealer that it is normal, and is due to the fuel injection.
I read a review that also said this so I assume it's true.
The tick is not noticable in the cabin so it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by happyaudi
I am plan to purchase Audi Q5 soon but affraid that Audi have too many problems with their cars and s.u.v and not as reliable like Japanese auto maker. I been really debate about purchase Q5. I look at the Forum Discussion and see so many complaint!!!
No complaints from me after 4,800 miles! The car is a dream.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I too have the squeaks comming from the back seats in both of my 2010 Q5's and after some testing today, I found that if I unlock the small center seatback and lean it forward on the seat cushion, the squeaks go away.
I still can't tell if it is a problem with the latch that holds the small seat back to the main seats or just the weight itself or something else. It was too cold out today to play with it anymore. Maybe this will help others see if can be eliminated as well the same way.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

#3 and #5 definitely experienced by me. I took my Q5 in for #5, and after replacing steering wheel pumps(I think thats what it is), and I think one other replacement the sound was still there and then they said it was within factory specs. At this point I've given up, but it sucks to get a 50k car and have a problem like this.

If the Q5 didn't look so bloody good I would have buyers remorse haha.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Has anyone resolved the squeaking from the back? It is driving me crazy!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have a squeaky back seat. It drives me nuts. I'm waiting for 5K service to check it out.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 1 & 2. The sunroof seems quieter in cold or wet weather, but the rear seat squeak is driving me nuts! I'm trying to stick it out till my next service, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

Originally Posted by CinciQ5
We have about 4500 miles on our 2009 Q5 and are noticing a few irritating sounds:

1. Squeaky rattle from the back when going over bumps/rough roads
2. The sun-roof rattle others have mentioned
3. A one-time “thump” under harder acceleration from the back
4. Screeching engine sound around 4000 RPM under hard acceleration
5. Whiney sound at low speeds (sounds like a supercharger but my guess is from the all wheel drive)

Have others encountered similar issues? Are 3-6 “normal features”? More importantly have you been able to resolve?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Rattles, Thumps, Squeaks and Buzzes

I have discovered a high frequency vibration or buzzing noise in my '10 Q5, first logged at 1,688 miles on the odometer. The culprit is a plastic trim piece that houses a speaker positioned on either front door. In my case, it is the passenger side housing that produces the buzz, most noticeable when driven over road bumps or imperfections.

I suspect the sub freezing temperatures experienced in the Mid Atlantic (and much of the North America region) has caused some flexing in the vehicle components. This seems to be the dreaded plastic on plastic/glass/metal vibration noise. If the dealership is unable to offer a fix, I am hopeful that I can devise a shim or perhaps insert a bit of cement to eliminate the noise.

Though disappointed, I began to think in amazement at the engineering marvel of piecing together 4,200+ lbs of vehicle with an underlying objective of producing a silent cabin environment. I hope to avoid the other problems reported here.

Quick Reply: Q5 Rattles, Thumps, and Squeaks