Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Rattles, Thumps, and Squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 PM
msj
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 5k service. Culprit for the squeak was the center seat. They adjusted the latch and added felt to the striker pin. Squeak is gone.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The squeak sound at the back seat was caused by the movement/vibration of the left side back seat when going over uneven/bumpy roads. You will notice it by looking at the seat belts at the back seat when driving. The back seat does not any latch near the top to secure it to the car side frame so it is prompt to movement. This is the reason why the noise stops when someone is seating on it. I put a thick rubber foam in the gap between the left side back seat and the car side trim to minimise the seat from movement. The squeak sound is gone.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GolfGL
I had a squeak coming from the pass-thru and it went away after I put some white lithium grease in the latch area. That was about 3 months ago.
Hi, stupid question, but where exactly did you apply the grease? I appear to have the same issue, when I put down the pass through the squeak appears to go away. I just applied some white lithium grease just now, but just in the spring area.

The squeaking in my car is intermittent, so unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I can't just take it for a spin and see if I applied the grease to the right spot, because the squeak is not prevalent.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChrisL
Hi, stupid question, but where exactly did you apply the grease? I appear to have the same issue, when I put down the pass through the squeak appears to go away. I just applied some white lithium grease just now, but just in the spring area.

The squeaking in my car is intermittent, so unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I can't just take it for a spin and see if I applied the grease to the right spot, because the squeak is not prevalent.

Thanks,

Chris
Looks like I have the same squeak! I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this. Maybe someone could post a picture of where they applied the grease? Or if you solved your problem using another method, would help to have more details.

Thanks

Martin
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Looks like I have the same squeak! I am trying to figure out how to get rid of this. Maybe someone could post a picture of where they applied the grease? Or if you solved your problem using another method, would help to have more details.

Thanks

Martin
The squeak is caused by the relative movement of the seats. If you stop/minimise the movement, the squeak will be gone. What I did to my Q5 was to put a rubber foam into the gap on each side of the seats (between the seat and the car frame).

Gia
Old 03-31-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ChrisL

Thanks,

Chris
Sorry for not getting to this earlier... I put a liberal amount of grease inside the latch area... I'll try to grab a picture of it later. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I feel compelled to bump this up and address this rear squeaky issue on our 50k cars. I had the issue at the 10k mark, squeaky noise from the rear area while driving, aggravated by the cold and bumps. They ended up finding that the right rear bump stop was cracked, replaced both of them and the problem was fixed!! Now at 21k miles, the problem seems to have reoccurred. I am going to call the dealer, but for those of you plagued by a squeaky care, you may want to look there.