Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Rear Bench Seat Plus + Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Rear Bench Seat Plus + Running Boards

Rear Bench Seat Plus

I am undecided on this option. Apart from the extra functionality, does anybody know if this option makes the middle rear seat less comfortable for a small passenger. In other words, does the armrest make the seat less flush or more irregular for a third rear passenger using it as a seat?

Running Boards

Also, I have seen some accesory catalogues that show the Q5 with running boards, but the latest Q5 catalogue does not have it as an option. Can anybody with small children (Ages 2-5) comment on how easy or not it is for them to climb into the car and whether after-market running boards might be a useful thing to look into? I also read that you can't combine Running Boards with the Panoramic Roof for weight/structural reasons. This seems a little strange. Can anybody confirm this?

Isofix

Does anybody know if there are 2 or 3 sets of Isofix fixtures on the back seats? Is there an isofix solution for the middle rear seat?

Thanks for all your help!!!!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear bench seat plus isn't an option in US. The Q5 isn't that high off the ground so I think the running boards would be minimal help. Plus if you deal with snow they're a nuance. have never heard of a weight/structural issue with a pano/running board configuration. US only has isofix on the outboard seats.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hmn4858
Rear bench seat plus isn't an option in US. The Q5 isn't that high off the ground so I think the running boards would be minimal help. Plus if you deal with snow they're a nuance. have never heard of a weight/structural issue with a pano/running board configuration. US only has isofix on the outboard seats.
Is that because the 3 piece rear bench that can move forward 10cm is standard equipment or because the fixed 2 piece bench is standard?

The running boards would really be for our 3 kids that currently need to be lifted up into and out of our Audi A3. I know the Q5 is not very high but it has to be higher than an A3. I wonder why Audi has stopped offering this as an option on Q5 when I know it use to be an option last year. Probably nobody wanted it

Just found this accessories guide from Audi specifically for the Q5 which still has the running boards in it and it does mention this weird limitation that it is incompatible with pano roof (for weight limitations?!?). Its on page 8 if anybody is interested.

http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...ries-guide.pdf

Thanks for the Isofix info. Thats what I thought since there probably is not enough room for three isofix seats.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Q5 has running boards and pano roof, never heard of any weight limitation.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arnieparnie
Is that because the 3 piece rear bench that can move forward 10cm is standard equipment or because the fixed 2 piece bench is standard?
The adjustable rear seat is standard in the US.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS
My Q5 has running boards and pano roof, never heard of any weight limitation.

I ordered a '12 Q5 with running boards though I had not seen them in person... now I'm wondering if we really need them.

This thread here has a picture of "a" running board on a q5; not sure if this is what the '12 comes with.

http://www.audiforum.ca/q5-q7/52548-...-their-q5.html

Do you have a better picture?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Two more pictures here
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2773301
and
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2792097
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A word of caution from someone who has made the mistake of ordering running boards in the past for a relatively low vehicle. My wife is on the short side, and we thought we were doing her a favor by installing running boards on our first small SUV. We were not! The running boards might benefit children, but they can be a hindrance for adults. The Q5 has a pretty low step-in height. When you add running boards to a vehicle with a comfortable step-in, you either: 1) have to take an extra step onto the running boards before getting in/out, or 2) step over the running boards all together, making that first step in or out more difficult. I can't tell you how many times my wife soiled her pants on dirty running boards. We have learned our lesson. When car shopping, the single most important feature for my wife is ease of entry/egress. Fortunately the Q5 is perfect for her in that regard.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't have the running boards and my three-year-old can climb in and out very easily. Like others have noted, the Q5 is not that much higher than an A4. Also, the running boards may actually hinder you if you have to lift your kids into the seats and strap them in as your shins will either most likely bang into them or you will have to stand on them and bend over (something I don't miss from my A4). Best to go to a dealer and see for yourself, if you have that option.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the running boards and pano roof on my '11. I like them for accessing a cargo carrier on the roof. It stops everyone from stepping in the car to reach the roof box to get their ski or boarding equipment out with snow/salt covered boots. They do not stick out as far as they look in the picture and I have no complaints stepping out on them or over them. I am 6' however.

Quick Reply: Q5 Rear Bench Seat Plus + Running Boards