Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 S Line Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 S Line Drive Question

I am new to the Audi family and have just placed my order for a 2010 Q5 S Line with the Premium, Teck Pkg, Drive Select etc... My big question and one the dealer could not adequately describe is does the S Line with Audi Drive Select have a rough ride or can it be customized to ride more like the regular Premium Q5 (Non S-Line)?

While I do enjoy a stiff ride at times, I drive a lot of long distance and a constant stiff ride can get exhausting after 12+ hours behind the wheel.

So to anyone who has the S-Line, how does it ride in comparison to the non-S Line and to those with the S-Line with Drive Select, does the comfort mode soften the ride any and if so does it closely mirror the non S Line?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

To my understand S-line doesn't particularly have a stiffer suspension. Any stiffness would likely be coming from the 20-inch rims. With Select Drive you can customize the ride stiffness to stock or to sport or custom.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S-Line is an appearance package with bigger tires. Drive Select would give you suspension options, but drive select can be ordered with or without S-Line package.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drive Select can make the car more sporty, but not more comfortable
the "confort" position give the same ride as the normal suspension of a normal car without S-Line
S-Line is less comfortable than the normal car
Old 10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S Line Drive Ride

"So to anyone who has the S-Line, how does it ride in comparison to the non-S Line and to those with the S-Line with Drive Select, does the comfort mode soften the ride any and if so does it closely mirror the non S Line?"

I have a Q5 with S line, Audi Drive Select, Prestige.

The 20 inch Michelin Latitude Sports it came with definitely ride stiffer than the smaller tires but the grip and feel is great. Wasn't familiar with that tire so Researched and found they are based on the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's-which mean they drive great in the twisties, wet and dry. More feel, more grip-lest flex.

Audi Drive Select does "stiffen" the suspension and feel when going into Dynamic mode. Comfort mode works great on NYC potholes/cobblestones and Auto seems to handle everything just fine. I'm constantly pushing the switch and shifting modes depending on the road surface-hey, it works!

The Q5 is in NYC presently but I'll be driving it west to the Sierra's and Lake Tahoe where I can use the Dynamic mode more often. On smooth surfaces (non-NY potholes) it feels like a sport sedan with allot more room. Definitely fun to drive and that's coming from an RS4 owner!