Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5/SQ5 and snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5/SQ5 and snow tires

This has come up in a few threads but I wanted to see serious an issue this is - people keep mentioning that the default tires are summer/performance and are terrible in snow. Is that an exaggeration or if I'm planning on driving in snow would I absolutely need to get new winter tires?

I can't tell if this is something that would be fine but some people prefer better tires or if it's just not safe at all unless they are upgraded.

TIA!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audijeff1983
people keep mentioning that the default tires are summer/performance and are terrible in snow.
First things first - are your OEM tires all-seasons or summers? Different tires come on various models of Q5/SQ5, so you need to know what you have.

If they are all-seasons, then you can certainly get by in low temps and light snow. If they are summer tires, then it is essentially unsafe to drive on them in snow.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A few I've been looking at have summer tires... Having all wheel drive with summer tires is unsafe? I'm mostly looking at light snow or low speeds but probably not tons of ice or snow

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
First things first - are your OEM tires all-seasons or summers? Different tires come on various models of Q5/SQ5, so you need to know what you have.

If they are all-seasons, then you can certainly get by in low temps and light snow. If they are summer tires, then it is essentially unsafe to drive on them in snow.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having all wheel drive with summer tires is unsafe?
Yes, it is very unsafe. AWD only helps you get going, and as a result, builds a false sense of security in the driver. AWD does nothing to help you turn or stop.

Summer tires are made of different rubber compounds that become very hard in low temperatures, which causes their grip to greatly diminish. And the tread pattern of summer tires doesn't have the sipes necessary to provide traction in snow.

During winter, proper tires are way more important than AWD. Watch some youtube videos on that subject.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:29 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I understand there is plenty of reason to not trust/believe Audi and Volkswagen right now but on this matter even they are correct.
Audi Performance Tires & Vehicle Exterior Help | Audi USA
Read the first FAQ.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dump your summer tires and get a set of all seasons if you are in anywhere outside the southwest. Winter tires for those states that get a lot of snow / ice / sleet...
Old 11-07-2015, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just like you!! Dealer made me sign a waiver when I bought the car (S5) saying i was informed the car had SUMMER ONLY tires and not to drive it in the snow. I was like tires are tires. It could not make that big of difference. So about a month after getting the car it snowed (I am in Colorado). Decided to take the car around the neighborhood just to see how it handled. This was my first Audi. I was so disapointed!! Car would not make it back in the garage. I have somewhat of a steep driveway. But not that bad. I replaced the tires with the conti DWS and hated them. So I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. It still was never really great in the snow. I have a jeep GC I I drive when the weather is bad just to save me from washing my good cars so much and to keep them looking nice. My tire guy talked me into putting a set of winter tires on the jeep. That's all it took. My SQ5 has a winter set up along with my new Jeep Wrangler. Put a set of winters of my grandmothers Ford Escape and my mothers ram 1500. Even when I go to our ranch in Texas for the holidays. I keep them on. WINTER TIRES ARE A MUST IN THE WINTER. It's cheaper than paying you deductible and getting hit with deminished value on a wrecked car.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not about AWD. It's about the tires. HUGE difference with winter tires versus the typical "all season". The only year around tire that has any real credibility for winter use, IMO, is the Nokian WRG3 SUV.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

A few I've been looking at have summer tires... Having all wheel drive with summer tires is unsafe? I'm mostly looking at light snow or low speeds but probably not tons of ice or snow
Never drive even with light snow as soon as the temps drop, your summer tires will become a 4 wheel bananna peel slip car.

The rubber compounds in summer tires become hard as a rock, and the tread design no longer grips the cold road. Very dangerous at temps below 40F.

I learned the hard way when I had my first Mercedes with 4 Matic AWD and slid all over the roads at Mammoth, CA.

Changed them out to mud and snow rated Michelins then voila - the SUV drove like an AWD car!

Same with my BMW X5 which I currently have - the stock OEM Dunlop summer performance tires have less than 500 miles on them - switched them out to Conti DWS and have had them on for 3 years now and love them for all year around driving including trip to Mammoth, CA.

The stock tires are sitting in my garage and will stay there until I sell it.....
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

+ 1 for NEVER driving on summers in any season other than summer. Absolutely useless in colder temps. #science

Quick Reply: Q5/SQ5 and snow tires