Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Steering Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Steering Pulse

Less than 300 miles on the vehicle, and already have my first service appointment. While trying to park in my garage, I felt an incredible pulse feeling in the steering.

Talked with service, they think it may have low fluid or need a new hose. I asked why this stuff doesn't get inspected. He said that since it was a swap vehicle, the "other dealer" might have not had time prior to the swap. Come on, a 40 plus thousand dollar car and nobody checks the fluids before a delivery.

As you can tell, I am not happy. I love the car, but hate the fact that the details are forgot by the dealers!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5ACK
Less than 300 miles on the vehicle, and already have my first service appointment. While trying to park in my garage, I felt an incredible pulse feeling in the steering.

Talked with service, they think it may have low fluid or need a new hose. I asked why this stuff doesn't get inspected. He said that since it was a swap vehicle, the "other dealer" might have not had time prior to the swap. Come on, a 40 plus thousand dollar car and nobody checks the fluids before a delivery.

As you can tell, I am not happy. I love the car, but hate the fact that the details are forgot by the dealers!
I don't think that the problem is merely a lack of inspecting the fluids. This is a know problem with the steering system. Read up on it here. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2782410 Audi knows about and a fix exists but not all the dealers have the parts to fix it, or something like that. I'm just waiting patiently to get mine fixed.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome to the club. I noticed it the first time at 300 miles. It's happened a couple times since (I now have 500 miles). There's a myriad of threads on here about it. It seems most A4s (B8 platform) and certain Q5s have the same issue. It should be a simple replacement of the power steering hose. Noone has alluded to it being a safety issue so you may want to hold off until ur 5K service, unless it really bothers you. I think I may wait till then for mine. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Welcome to the club. I noticed it the first time at 300 miles. It's happened a couple times since (I now have 500 miles). There's a myriad of threads on here about it. It seems most A4s (B8 platform) and certain Q5s have the same issue. It should be a simple replacement of the power steering hose. Noone has alluded to it being a safety issue so you may want to hold off until ur 5K service, unless it really bothers you. I think I may wait till then for mine. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
I couldn't get an appointment until next week. The service department said they are not aware of this problem with other vehicles and felt confident it was a fluid issue. My fluid check indicates no problem. I guess they don't trust my reading ability. Anyways, I will update folks after my service visit. As a former buyback consumer, I have learned to document everything from day one!

On a more positive note, this is the nicest car I have ever owned. Been driving for 30 plus years, owned 23 vehicles including BMW, Volvo, VW, etc, and the Audi Q5 is the best!
Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I couldn't get an appointment until next week. The service department said they are not aware of this problem with other vehicles and felt confident it was a fluid issue. My fluid check indicates no problem. I guess they don't trust my reading ability. Anyways, I will update folks after my service visit. As a former buyback consumer, I have learned to document everything from day one!

On a more positive note, this is the nicest car I have ever owned. Been driving for 30 plus years, owned 23 vehicles including BMW, Volvo, VW, etc, and the Audi Q5 is the best!
I also have had a few issues with my Q5- PIA, but I agree with you - the best ride I have ever had. Good luck and I hope that will be the last of the issues.

Bob
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Congrats! I agree with you. Perfect combination of styling, performance, convenience features, and luxury. I love mine as well.

Good point about documentation. I called and left a message for a technician about my steering issue, but he never returned my call. I guess I need to call again so at least the problem is documented as you say.