Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI mpg's released

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default +1; Q5 Cd is pretty so so objectively

Cd on these isn't great--Audi sedans got well under the mid thirties almost 30 years ago now--and frontal area isn't modest either. As an SUV it's in the zone, but just doesn't stack up to the better sedans and coupes out there. Thus, just as you say in the highway #'s compared to something of similar weight like the all aluminum A8, you can really see the effect of it in the mileage rating. And likewise, owning an A8 with a big motor, just putting a ski rack on the roof with a board can really mess up its slippery nature and cost quite a few MPG; had a chance to really see the effects of aerodynamics and junk on the roof (moving to a more mediocre Cd and somewhat more effective frontal area) on a 1,000 mile road trip to Aspen a year ago.

I also remember a tidbit from my old 85 (first gen really slippery) Audi 5000 that they specifically called out the turbo variant with the only obvious external delta being another 20mm of tire width as costing .01 in the Cd--as in wider tires (which I like for performance) w bigger wheels cost not just on unsprung weight but also some aerodynamically.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are like me and tow alot with your q5, i think the TDI would be the vehicle to go with.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This always comes up; diesel economics aren't justifiable. If economics is king of your castle, a diesel is not for you! TDI is all about monstrous off-idle torque and (to a lesser extent) other things like long, long range. I own a teeny weeny 2.0L TDI in a Jetta Sport Wagon and it pulls harder off the line than our 3.2L Q5. It's hard to describe and I don't know why it's so dang much fun but it just is!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I own a teeny weeny 2.0L TDI in a Jetta Sport Wagon and it pulls harder off the line than our 3.2L Q5. It's hard to describe and I don't know why it's so dang much fun but it just is!
My wife's got a 1.9L Golf TDI that she loves. 0-60's not so hot (nor is the JSW's), but off the line and to traveling speeds it scoots like nobody's business. She's even had other cars think she's trying to race them because of how quick she is off the line (because it's fun).
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
This always comes up; diesel economics aren't justifiable. If economics is king of your castle, a diesel is not for you! TDI is all about monstrous off-idle torque and (to a lesser extent) other things like long, long range. I own a teeny weeny 2.0L TDI in a Jetta Sport Wagon and it pulls harder off the line than our 3.2L Q5. It's hard to describe and I don't know why it's so dang much fun but it just is!
Absolutely correct.

Not many people in the USA buys a diesel because it's cheaper long term. Unless you drive that many miles to justify it. Where they shine is having so much top gear passing power, power where you need it and giving your vehicle insane range.

My 335d which usually gets an average of 33mpg gives me a range of 540 miles on a 16.5 gallon tank. Not to mention, I have so much passing power just buy putting my foot down where others have to drop gears to catch up to me.

My Jetta tdi, i average 37mpg in which gives me a range of 530 miles and its engine is way smoother and more powerful than any gas 4 banger i know of...including VW/Audi's 2.0t TFSI engine.

The Q5 has a Cd of .33 where as the A6/A8 have .26. That is a huge difference in Cd.

Also, you have to drive the **** out of a diesel in city driving to get such low numbers. Diesels always get their numbers or better. Gas engines don't. My 2.0t Q5 is rated at 27mpg on the highway, I've never seen higher than 25 actually checking. I seem to always get its combined of 21-23 no matter how i drive it. Others may say otherwise. (I know in my old 3.2, I used to get 26-27 on the highway, it was only rated at 23-24) I used to get 18-19 combined in that.

I love my diesels.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coolie and Elevens, you are probably talking to the wall as most of these "I don't get it why someone would want diesel" folks have never driven modern diesel and all they have is the assosiation from old naturally aspirated mechanical diesels or they race up and down the main street and have never driven outside their state doing long distance road trip, where diesel shines over gasser.

If my ex Touareg got 26-28 mpg on highway going 75 mph then smaller Q5 3.0L TDI should have no problem getting +30 mpg while going 75 mph. Heck mine got 32 mpg when I was cruising 60 mph on one of the local highways.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Coolie and Elevens, you are probably talking to the wall as most of these "I don't get it why someone would want diesel" folks have never driven modern diesel and all they have is the assosiation from old naturally aspirated mechanical diesels or they race up and down the main street and have never driven outside their state doing long distance road trip, where diesel shines over gasser.

If my ex Touareg got 26-28 mpg on highway going 75 mph then smaller Q5 3.0L TDI should have no problem getting +30 mpg while going 75 mph. Heck mine got 32 mpg when I was cruising 60 mph on one of the local highways.
My brother had two Q7 TDI and he got 28 on the highway. Lets see what the real life figures are for people in the Q5. What a great engine - I loved it in the Q7 and would probably get one now if I had to replace the Q5. Quiet smooth and powerful.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm aware of some US Q5 TDI testing that was getting 35-38 mpg highway over hundreds of miles. At one time over 40mpg, but then dropped after doing some acceleration pulls

Can't wait to see this first hand. Of course, I no longer drive 40k miles/year like a I used to, so I won't see great numbers regularly, but will enjoy the ~500 mile drives from NC to NJ/CT.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
The Q5 has a Cd of .33 where as the A6/A8 have .26. That is a huge difference in Cd.
Yes, that is huge, and very very impressive for the A6/A8. My 996TT is "only" rated at 0.31 which boggles my mind in comparison.

Here's what I've gathered:

And various other graphs I've made here:
http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/q5/research/car_comparo/