Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 terrible rear leg room

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prob not too often but being that it's a luxury car, I want my passengers to have a sense of abundance (in this case, space) when they are in my car. It IS an SUV which is supposed to exude size.

It's really too bad. I thought the sport handling was a little bit better than the x3 28i (haven't tried the 35i yet).

I might consider the q7 but then the price goes up substantially. One thing I have against the MDX, is that it's a little too large. MDX without the 3rd row and corresponding adjustment in size would be perfect. Same for Q7.

Originally Posted by The G Man
PotOdds, how many times are you going to have four 6'2"+ people in your car?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

The X3 is re-engineered but it's basically no bigger than the Q5, wheelbase is only 3mm bigger (yeah you read that right), even when you check the available space the measurements are roughly the same. I can only assume that the seat back angles where different between the two tests because otherwise the differences between them is very small.

You said the bench seat at the rear was fully back but are you sure, maybe something was blocking it at the time and wasn't noticed and stopped it going fully back.

P.S.

What hump in the rear are you talking about.

I see not noticeable difference between these two rear bench seats, or am I missing something?
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm 6'-7" so any car I have is really hard for someone to sit behind me. But I don't usually care, I'm not moving my seat up for no one.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stuttgartrob
I'm 6'-7" so any car I have is really hard for someone to sit behind me. But I don't usually care, I'm not moving my seat up for no one.
I'm surprised that you didn't need to buy a small semi-truck!

I'm just about 5'10, and my hubby is 6ft, and we checked out how comfy it would be on our test drive....and with the rear seat sliding to it's furthest position, there was plenty of leg room for both of us! However, from what I've read, not all countries/ models have the rear sliding seats?

We have a Ram Mega Cab 4X4 Diesel for towing...and that has some crazy leg room and miraculously gets 20mpg!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Prob not too often but being that it's a luxury car, I want my passengers to have a sense of abundance (in this case, space) when they are in my car. It IS an SUV which is supposed to exude size.

It's really too bad. I thought the sport handling was a little bit better than the x3 28i (haven't tried the 35i yet).

I might consider the q7 but then the price goes up substantially. One thing I have against the MDX, is that it's a little too large. MDX without the 3rd row and corresponding adjustment in size would be perfect. Same for Q7.
It's not really an SUV, it's a crossover. The Q7 is probably more of an SUV.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
I'm surprised that you didn't need to buy a small semi-truck!

I'm just about 5'10, and my hubby is 6ft, and we checked out how comfy it would be on our test drive....and with the rear seat sliding to it's furthest position, there was plenty of leg room for both of us! However, from what I've read, not all countries/ models have the rear sliding seats?

We have a Ram Mega Cab 4X4 Diesel for towing...and that has some crazy leg room and miraculously gets 20mpg!
Its not that bad drove one I rented on a 12 hour road trip to England at it was quite comfy. Impossible for and adult to sit behind me but they won't be making the payments so oh well. You are right its an option over here for the Rear sliding seats. Also my Q5 will be used for towing and it should get around 40-45 mpg doing so!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stuttgartrob
Its not that bad drove one I rented on a 12 hour road trip to England at it was quite comfy. Impossible for and adult to sit behind me but they won't be making the payments so oh well. You are right its an option over here for the Rear sliding seats. Also my Q5 will be used for towing and it should get around 40-45 mpg doing so!
I wish I could have gotten the TDI...but they don't have the US Spec one!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PotOdds
I'm in the market for a new car. Currently have a Lexus RX300.

Test drove the x3, q5, rx350 and mdx.

Love the taut handling of the q5. Very nice interior. So I decided to do my rear seat test. I'm 6'2" and set the front driver seat to a comfortable position which usually means fully extended back. Then I get out of the car and sit in the rear seat. I was a bit shocked when my legs were basically scrunched against the front seat. Just trying to sit down in the back seat required twisting my legs to squeeze in the back. The back seat were fully extended backwards. The audi salesman moved the front seat up a bit. I was then able to move the back seat forward so the seat wasn't suck, it was all the way back.

It's strange because the x3 which supposedly has similar dimension, was fine when I did this test. Front seat set to a comfortable position for me, then myself sitting in the back. x3 doesn't have the ability to adjust the rear seat.

Having a 2 6-footers in front and back isn't gonna work for this car.

Plus what's up with the hump in the back? All the other cars have flat rears.

I'm guessing that the Q5's front seat goes back more than the X3. When I clean the Q5 interior, I am always surprised just HOW far back the front seats can move on their tracks. A long, long way. At the expense of the back seat passenger.

What hump?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The hump he's talking about is on the floor of the rear middle seat. My parents' Lexus RX330 doesn't have any hump on the floor back there. Takes away from the available leg room.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, what's up with the rear middle seat's seatbelt? You can't move it out of the way and it just sticks out there. I can't see that being comfortable for anyone sitting in that seat.

Quick Reply: Q5 terrible rear leg room