Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 terrible rear leg room

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to agree with some of the others. Are you buying the car to drive it or sit in the backseat? I could understand if you constantly had 6 foot tall people in your car, but how often does that occur? Are you buying the vehicle for you or for those people who may or may not at some point need a ride in the backseat? Get the vehicle YOU like the most, not what someone else who may ride in the backseat once would appreciate.

If the front was too small for you then I could completely understand.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PotOdds
Prob not too often but being that it's a luxury car, I want my passengers to have a sense of abundance (in this case, space) when they are in my car. It IS an SUV which is supposed to exude size.

It's really too bad. I thought the sport handling was a little bit better than the x3 28i (haven't tried the 35i yet).

I might consider the q7 but then the price goes up substantially. One thing I have against the MDX, is that it's a little too large. MDX without the 3rd row and corresponding adjustment in size would be perfect. Same for Q7.
The way I look at it, this is your car and not your passenger's, and you are not a limo driver. If you happen to have another 6'2"+ passenger, he or she can sit in the front. What are the chances you are going to have four 6"2"+ passenger?
The MDX drive pretty big and the Q7's handling is much worst than the Q5. Maybe you should look at a X5 or a VW Toureg.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I compared the dimensions closely before I went for a test drive.

As I mentioned, the way I did the test was to adjust the front seat so that it was comfortable for me, then sat in the back seat. x3, rx350, mdx all had some extra space between knee and front seat's back. Absolutely no space with the q5. Felt like the 3rd row in the mdx. Also I tried to adjust the seat but could only move it FORWARD. It was as far back as it could go.

There is a DEFINITE hump in the backseat. I think Audi intentionally hides pictures of the back floor. Can't find one good picture of the rear seats on Audi site. Car is new enough that there aren't a lot of eBay photos either.

I just think this is one case where the dimensions don't truly show how things are laid out. I don't have a bias with either BMW or Audi. Either one will be my first German car.

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
The X3 is re-engineered but it's basically no bigger than the Q5, wheelbase is only 3mm bigger (yeah you read that right), even when you check the available space the measurements are roughly the same. I can only assume that the seat back angles where different between the two tests because otherwise the differences between them is very small.

You said the bench seat at the rear was fully back but are you sure, maybe something was blocking it at the time and wasn't noticed and stopped it going fully back.

P.S.

What hump in the rear are you talking about.

I see not noticeable difference between these two rear bench seats, or am I missing something?
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, it's like your home, when you have guests over, you want them to be as comfortable as possible.

All these luxury vehicles pamper the driver. Don't want to have to scramble when I have friends who need a ride.

Originally Posted by sjuhawks19
I have to agree with some of the others. Are you buying the car to drive it or sit in the backseat? I could understand if you constantly had 6 foot tall people in your car, but how often does that occur? Are you buying the vehicle for you or for those people who may or may not at some point need a ride in the backseat? Get the vehicle YOU like the most, not what someone else who may ride in the backseat once would appreciate.

If the front was too small for you then I could completely understand.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The x6/zdx would be a perfect example of car to get if you have the attitude of "screw the passenger". Coupe-like SUV.

Originally Posted by The G Man
The way I look at it, this is your car and not your passenger's, and you are not a limo driver. If you happen to have another 6'2"+ passenger, he or she can sit in the front. What are the chances you are going to have four 6"2"+ passenger?
The MDX drive pretty big and the Q7's handling is much worst than the Q5. Maybe you should look at a X5 or a VW Toureg.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The x6/zdx would be a perfect example of car to get if you have the attitude of "screw the passenger". Coupe-like SUV.
If you want your passenger to ride in comfort, you should be looking at a Lexus RX or something like that. The Q5 doesnt exactly have a comfortable ride with its stiff suspension.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
What hump in the rear are you talking about.

I see not noticeable difference between these two rear bench seats, or am I missing something?
im 6'3" so i get what he means and typically i sit in the back of any car we look at but not because i think i wont buy it if its not enough room for someone my size, i just want to see how much if any trouble i have sitting back there and trying to translate that to someone of average height

generally anybody my size wouldnt sit behind me while i drive. they would sit in front passenger or at the very least in the rear passenger while my wife moves up

as for the "hump" i think he is referring to the floor where both side rear passengers have more foot room but then the floor in the middle is raised.

i believe that if you look closely you can see the raised floor in the middle when you look at top picture (thats the audi pic yes?)....whats funny though is that when you look at the other picture with the girl (the BMW?) you see that while she is sitting on one side, her feet are hidden by the same middle "hump."

as was stated, no noticeble difference
Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

salesman told me the hump was there because of the fact the Q5 sits lower than the rest, so they wanted to have more ground clearance. driveshaft is there.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I compared the dimensions closely before I went for a test drive.

As I mentioned, the way I did the test was to adjust the front seat so that it was comfortable for me, then sat in the back seat. x3, rx350, mdx all had some extra space between knee and front seat's back. Absolutely no space with the q5. Felt like the 3rd row in the mdx. Also I tried to adjust the seat but could only move it FORWARD. It was as far back as it could go.

I just think this is one case where the dimensions don't truly show how things are laid out. I don't have a bias with either BMW or Audi. Either one will be my first German car.
Apologises, you are quite right here and the dimensions do explain why the X3 offers more room in the rear for guys like you which are taller than average.

The X3 and Q5 offer the same wheelbase and basic gap between the seats but the X3 offers an extra 22mm (almost an inch) in overall height and it's front seat sits higher to begin with, so you are having to keep the seat lower in the Audi and move it further back as a result of this.

It's a case of style over practicality in the Q5.

There is a DEFINITE hump in the backseat. I think Audi intentionally hides pictures of the back floor. Can't find one good picture of the rear seats on Audi site. Car is new enough that there aren't a lot of eBay photos either.
This I do disagree with, both the Q5 and X3 has very similar hump in the rear floor area, the centre passenger will always find it difficult to find room for their feet.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it's like your home, when you have guests over, you want them to be as comfortable as possible.

All these luxury vehicles pamper the driver. Don't want to have to scramble when I have friends who need a ride.
This car is orientated to the driver. Most of the people who buy it put that first. As someone who had 6 BMWs and jumped ship for the Q5 due to the poor ergonomics/ cramped DRIVER accommodations of the X3, I would urge you to put yourself first.

Also, I found the new X3's back seat has an uncomfortable upright rake, and they do not recline. The Q5's rear seats are a little roomier than my '08 535i, so for my family, that's a plus.