Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Tow Hitch now available

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found it myself - 4000 lbs trailer / 400 tongue
Old 08-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Curt hitch appears to mount below the bumper supports as opposed to the factory one that replaces the bumper bar and protrudes through the bumper cover. Much simpler (and cheaper) but probably the reason for the reduced load rating. What's not clear is the interface to our "prewired" electrical provisions. I'd also like to know the resulting hitch height for both.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My hitch was successfully installed yesterday.

IAmAudi took pictures of the install from start to finish. Complete details can be found at: http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-tow-h...ports-service/
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MCNIERNEYC
My hitch was successfully installed yesterday.

IAmAudi took pictures of the install from start to finish. Complete details can be found at: http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-q5-tow-h...ports-service/
So what's your opinion about the fact that the lower cover had to be cut out?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by edwyun
So what's your opinion about the fact that the lower cover had to be cut out?
I was aware that it needed to be cut and was a little hesitant. After seeing the finished product, I think it looks fine.

Looking from a standing position looking down or a distance you can't really tell that it was cut after the fact. The cover is black throughout. On close inspection, it is evident that it was cut; there is no trim piece to hide this fact. If it really bugged me, I think a little touch-up paint would make it look factory.

My other worry about having a hole was accumulation of water, snow etc. But, the bumper cover is pretty much hollow where the cut was made, so there is nothing to rust, corrode, etc. The water will just run out the underside. You can test this theory by sticking your hand up and under your bumper cover; just a big hollow spot until you get up by the park sensors where the actual crash bumper is installed.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by B5AudiVW
Does the Curt provide a tow rating?
4000#'s GTW 400#'s TW. I installed it on my Q5 looks good, no cutting of the bumper. No bumper removal.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i...ch-p-2112.html
Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttr2002
4000#'s GTW 400#'s TW. I installed it on my Q5 looks good, no cutting of the bumper. No bumper removal.

http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i...ch-p-2112.html

If you use it only for the bike rack then I understand but if you are really towing trailer and your tranny fails then don't bother to complain about the warranty as you didn't use OEM hitch with its computer that also adjusts the tranny for towing.

My OEM hitch is waiting at dealer parts and next weekend I'll install it at my own garage, have no issues to cut the bottom of bumper as you barely see the bottom anyway.

Last edited by kleinbus; 08-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
If you use it only for the bike rack then I understand but if you are really towing trailer and your tranny fails then don't bother to complain about the warranty as you didn't use OEM hitch with its computer that also adjusts the tranny for towing.

My OEM hitch is waiting at dealer parts and next weekend I'll install it at my own garage, have no issues to cut the bottom of bumper as you barely see the bottom anyway.
You are correct, I don't plan on towing a boat with a small car like the Q5. I installed the Curt for my bike rack. The Q5 does not offer much option to carry a bike other than on the roof. You are looking at $400 for the roof rack for 2 bikes. You can not even attach a Trunk (back lid) bike rack because of the spoiler. $200 for the curt was the best option. Both hitches are attached to the same frame rails so I do not see how it is or is not going to damage the trans. I believe the Q5 is rated to tow a 4400# load, Audi claims "Best in Class". The Audi trailer wire harness does turn on and turn off the back up assist when the trailer lights are plugged in, but I do not know how it would change the trans shifting when it does not know what the additional load is on the vehicle. You can always shift yourself with tiptronic.
Just could not justify $800 plus installation (from what others are saying $1200-$1800) for a hitch from the Audi Dealer. Even my Audi salesman recommended I go to U-Haul to have a hitch installed. U-Haul will not touch a car with back up sensors that requires the bumper cover to be removed.
I agree with others, why doesn't Audi offer a hitch as a factory installed option (at a reasonable price?) on the Q5?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTR2002:

Do you have pics of your install including electrical.

I only need a hitch to trailer 1-2 motorbikes on a very light trailer (which actually disassembles and fits in the trunk). While I understand that the OEM ECU+hitch includes connections for trailer brakes and what not, I think I would only miss the revised transmission/shifting that supposed to come with the OEM ECU.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It appears there are tow choices:

Audi

1. ECU that contains a trailer brake controller and integrates with park distance control, stability control, electronic brake distribution, and the transmission.

2. Full 4400 lb capability

3. No loss in ground clearance

4. No loss in safety functions because the hitch replaces the rear bumper and supports the same load characteristics as that bumper as well as crash behavior in the event of a rear collision

5. Peace of mind - installed and warranted by Audi technicians

Curt

1. Cheaper cost and and quicker install

2. Generic wiring kit that will needs to be somehow connected - no current T-connector listed in Curt's application guide - I guess the wiring would be spliced or tapped into the brake light lines - not sure how this would affect the brake light diagnostic circuit

3. 4000 lb capability

4. Reduced ground clearance - the hitch protrudes under the bumper cover

5. Changed crash profile - not sure if this matters, but based on my install photos, there is a gas tank behind there

6. Curt warranty only for the hitch - no warranty if other systems are affected by the install

If I was only going to attach a bike carrier and really did not need a light circuit, the Curt hitch might be the way to go. However, I tow a trailer and opted to go with the Audi hitch, even though the cost is much higher.

Quick Reply: Q5 Tow Hitch now available