Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

q5 trailer module and harness wiring question?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Added the additional coding to my previous link.

Last edited by apoelistas; 01-01-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"It is all here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...trical-171730/
NO Coding required! "

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.
That link makes it clear that it is only for a 4-wire basic trailer kludge, not a factory installation. Among other things, a four-wire kludge does not give you any reverse lights on the trailer, the factory 7-wire system does.
And the coding isn't required to make those 4-wire systems work, but without coding you do not get the factory changes in the ABS, ESC, transmission cooling, engine cooling, alternator programming, and whatever other changes Audi makes to accommodate trailer loads. Not "necessary" but be aware the coding is not just cosmetic.
The following users liked this post:
JonMah (10-25-2021)
Old 01-04-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 132 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"It is all here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...trical-171730/
NO Coding required! "

DANGER WILL ROBINSON.
That link makes it clear that it is only for a 4-wire basic trailer kludge, not a factory installation. Among other things, a four-wire kludge does not give you any reverse lights on the trailer, the factory 7-wire system does.
And the coding isn't required to make those 4-wire systems work, but without coding you do not get the factory changes in the ABS, ESC, transmission cooling, engine cooling, alternator programming, and whatever other changes Audi makes to accommodate trailer loads. Not "necessary" but be aware the coding is not just cosmetic.
I got a 13 pole electrical wire control module system. The price difference was minimal compared to 7 pole and my information booklet says use SVM code at audi dealer to program control module, same procedure as original audi trailer control unit.

however I have coded manually the aftermarket Germal made trailer 13 pole electrical control module as per my guide. In my case 13 pole or even nthe ones with 7 pole systems coding is required.

Last edited by apoelistas; 01-04-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irish100p
Hey everyone,
I have a friend with a 2009 Q5 premium plus that has a trailer hitch installed on it, but when he got the car, it did not have the wiring for the trailer at all. He ordered 8R0971541C (hitch harness) and 8K0907383D (control module) and I have VAGCOM and was ready to install and code it for him, but the end of the harness that I presume is supposed to plug into the control module, doesn't fit in either of the 3 plug spaces. I know the Red plug that's on his factory harness in the rear should go into the middle port on the module, but my question is, am I missing something? There is only one part number I could find for the harness, and the plug isn't even close to what would plug into the control module. Can anyone offer some insight???

Thanks!!!
James
OK here are pics of the module (PN in first post) as well as the plug that is the issue I'm having.

Plug

Female part of Module

Module
Irish,
I am having the same issue. Did you figure anything out? I suspect the harness 8R0971541C is a Euro spec harness and requires a different control module. I wonder if the Q7 harness would work for us.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drück
Irish,
I am having the same issue. Did you figure anything out? I suspect the harness 8R0971541C is a Euro spec harness and requires a different control module. I wonder if the Q7 harness would work for us.
Unfortunately, the only way I found for it to work was to order the Audi trailer hitch kit through Audi (or ecs) as it has the correct module and harness. I couldn’t get it to work otherwise. I tried to order the correct module separately, but Audi usa doesn’t offer it outside of the kit.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unfortunately, the only way I found for it to work was to order the Audi trailer hitch kit through Audi (or ecs) as it has the correct module and harness. I couldn’t get it to work otherwise. I tried to order the correct module separately, but Audi usa doesn’t offer it outside of the kit.
I have searched high and low for the OEM kit with no luck. Were you able to source one?
Old 03-08-2020, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have searched high and low for the OEM kit with no luck. Were you able to source one?
there were 2 at my local Audi dealer, and ecs had a few. ecs was cheaper (shocker)
Old 03-08-2020, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The more I am looking into this I think the Q7 harness may work. Does anyone have pictures of their Q5 harness that came in the kit so we can compare it to the Q7 harness? Below is what I found on the web so far,. They look similar but not sure if the pin out is the same on both connectors.

Comparison:
Separate ground wire - They both appear to have a separate brown ground wire
Small Connector - Wire colors match. However I am unable to determine if the connector is the same
Large Connector - The both have the same wire count and color (Green, Yellow, Brown, Black, Red, Red2). However the Q7 has a Red/White going to another connector that I am not sure about

Correct Q5 Harness from hitch kit 8R0092115 (US Spec):

Q7 Harness 4L0971124F :

Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more I am looking into this I think the Q7 harness may work. Does anyone have pictures of their Q5 harness that came in the kit so we can compare it to the Q7 harness? Below is what I found on the web so far,. They look similar but not sure if the pin out is the same on both connectors.

Comparison:
Separate ground wire - They both appear to have a separate brown ground wire
Small Connector - Wire colors match. However I am unable to determine if the connector is the same
Large Connector - The both have the same wire count and color (Green, Yellow, Brown, Black, Red, Red2). However the Q7 has a Red/White going to another connector that I am not sure about

Correct Q5 Harness from hitch kit 8R0092115 (US Spec):

Q7 Harness 4L0971124F :

I'm curious to this as well as I'm runnign into the same issue finding cables.

Another issue I'd like some feedback on is the trailer modules. Currently I have a module from a 2010 Q5 3.2 Prestige (8K0 907 383 B ) but my vehicle is an 2016 SQ5 with a different transmission. I'm wondering if this module will work with the newer ECU or if I will the need the updated module (8K0 907 383 D) with 3 tabs. Anyone chime regarding updated platform B8.5/SQ5s?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MVDP
Another issue I'd like some feedback on is the trailer modules. Currently I have a module from a 2010 Q5 3.2 Prestige (8K0 907 383 B ) but my vehicle is an 2016 SQ5 with a different transmission. I'm wondering if this module will work with the newer ECU or if I will the need the updated module (8K0 907 383 D) with 3 tabs. Anyone chime regarding updated platform B8.5/SQ5s?
I would not use a B8 module on the B8.5, not only is the transmission different but that engine is completely different.

Quick Reply: q5 trailer module and harness wiring question?????