Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Transmission Issues

I have a new 2012 Q5 2.0T. I just had my 5000 mile check and reported that I experience acceleration lag on start up and also what seems like a downshift slip when braking. I was told that this is a known problem (recall) and it will be fixed at this visit. Well - it was not fixed and I had it in again and was told (rather condescendingly) that the vehicle does have an 8 speed transmission and that another Q5 in their rental fleet drives the same way so I should expect this to be normal. I am so disappointed in this response. I want to love this vehicle but it does not drive like an Audi. Anyone else having this issue?

PS - she is a beauty - glacier white metallic with gray interior...Love that!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ask to drive their rental one to ck it for yourself,
Old 02-01-2012, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

New 2012 Q5 Girl
I agree with audi01a6, test drive another Q5 with the service department and see if its the same. Just wondering, did your last car have drive by wire and if this is your 1st Audi?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drive a new one off the lot and see if it behaves the same way.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome !
I'd first go back to the svc writer and have a private 'heart to heart' to see if you can turn him around first...
That attitude may warrant a discussion with the svc mgr...
if that doesn't resolve it - there's always other dealers that would love your business...

once his attitude is 'refined' tell him to look up campaign 37g1
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=37g1
which addressing the 8 speed...

also note that there is a learning curve and adaptation the tranny needs to go through... our 2011 Q shifts flawlessly !!! one of the primary selling features that got me to buy the car.

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 02-01-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
also note that there is a learning curve and adaptation the tranny needs to go through... our 2011 Q shifts flawlessly !!! one of the primary selling features that got me to buy the car.
Is this learning curve automatic? or is there something you need to do to guide it during the break in period?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobMate
Is this learning curve automatic? or is there something you need to do to guide it during the break in period?

Thanks.
It's automatic, and happens over the life of the car. It usually takes a few hundred miles before it begins to learn your driving style.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check Your Repair Statement

See if it shows the 37G1 campaign being performed (at No Charge of course) on your vehicle.

I noticed the difference right away, and haven't had the same problem you have had, in the next 1,000 miles since it was addressed.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cabo de Hornos
See if it shows the 37G1 campaign being performed (at No Charge of course) on your vehicle.

I noticed the difference right away, and haven't had the same problem you have had, in the next 1,000 miles since it was addressed.
Definitely check if 37G1 was done (as advised by Cabo de Hornos), and you may consider driving the car with the transmission 'S' mode to see if there is a difference (S mode changes the shift points)

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by The G Man
New 2012 Q5 Girl
I agree with audi01a6, test drive another Q5 with the service department and see if its the same. Just wondering, did your last car have drive by wire and if this is your 1st Audi?

This is the first Audi I have owned - the only one I had driven regularly before this was the A4. I don't know about the drive by wire on that one - what I mean is that I imagine it did have it but I was not the primary driver so I am not sure how that would work with its learning capability. That said - I did not know if I should have expected the Q5 to drive like the A4 (I loved the incredible responsiveness)but I was not expecting this very obvious weirdness with the lag and downshift.

i am going to try the test drive - that is a good idea!

Quick Reply: Q5 Transmission Issues