Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Valentine 1 hardwire installation w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished my install last night. Big thanks goes to ELEVENS for making this a very easy task. After powering on the car and the radar, the detector picked up a very weak rear K while i was in my garage, I suppose this was the side assist or the parking sensors. After disabling POP, that radar warning went away. Then I proceeded to drive around in a very residential neighborhood and the weak rear K was still following me around for a bit. I suppose that was all the interference in the neighborhood from garage doors, alarms and what not. This continued on for a short part of the highway and then went away. I would say that for the most part of my test, the rear K was not bothering me so I assume that disabling POP solved the issue. I will report with more accurate results after a longer drive tonight.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the V1 concealed display and wanted to run it hard-wired from the fuse box, just like I had in my '01 S4. Does anyone know what open fuse slot (in the '11 Q5) would work for the V1? I've tried simply inserting the flat metal power line into the fuse directly (no fuse taps), but can't seem to get power to the V1.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by westbay
I have the V1 concealed display and wanted to run it hard-wired from the fuse box, just like I had in my '01 S4. Does anyone know what open fuse slot (in the '11 Q5) would work for the V1? I've tried simply inserting the flat metal power line into the fuse directly (no fuse taps), but can't seem to get power to the V1.
I couldn't find one to use either. Instead, I spliced into the wire coming off the fuse for the HomeLink.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to splice into wires, safe-n-sound1.com has a direct wire with fuse and a blade fuse tap to plug into an existing fuse. Was cheaper and more convenient than getting a direct wire cable and a separate add-a-line accessory.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you all for the post. I was about to go to Vortex to look for this .
Could anyone post pictures of connecting the concelaed display after getting powerr from the Home Link?

BTW, I think putting the V1 so high up on the windshiedl would decrease it's performance. What do people think?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdifan
Thank you all for the post. I was about to go to Vortex to look for this .
Could anyone post pictures of connecting the concelaed display after getting powerr from the Home Link?

BTW, I think putting the V1 so high up on the windshiedl would decrease it's performance. What do people think?
Wrong wrong wrong! For Radar the higher up the detector is placed the better. This way it can scan the road for radar better, it can sniff it out. V1 says this on their website.

If you are going the route of concealed display I would try to wire it to the fusebox instead because you're going to be running quite a few wires.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Up high, near the center of the windshield, but below the tint is best.

http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/rad...ormounting.asp
Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for posting this DYI.
I just bought a Q5 to replace my A3 and have been looking for a hardwire DYI so my husband can hardwire my V1.
The homelink in my A3 was in the visor, so he had to wire it from the fuse box. It worked fine, but this looks like it will be a better install.
I (almost) never leave home without my V1 . . . . .
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ran the hardwire down to the drivers side fuse panel, used one of the open slots by modifying a crimp plug to fit into the fuse slot. This was before the research done here in this post. If I did the install again, I would use the method in this post.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Elevens, thanks very much for this simple write-up. I figure it saved me a ton of time. I installed my V1 this afternoon and prefer to get power from the overhead console. My A4 appears identical to your vehicle right down to the color-coding of the "switched" hot lead on the HomeLink module. I installed an in-line fuse and then connected with a Quik-tap. I picked up my ground on a stud coming off the roof towards the driver's side of the car. This could not have been simpler
Cheers !

Quick Reply: Q5 Valentine 1 hardwire installation w/ pics