Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs. Acura RDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 vs. Acura RDX

I'm in the market for a new small SUV and have it down to the Q5 and the Acura RDX. I currently own an Audi TT and previously had an A4. So I obviously like Audis in general.

I'm also currently leasing a '07 RDX. The lease is up soon and I'll be trading in my TT to purchase a new SUV. I like the RDX. It's fun to drive, but nothing special.

I've driven the '10 RDX and '10 Q5. I'm looking at a Q5 Premium Plus and MMI Nav vs. an RDX AWD with Tech package.

Here's my comparison:

The Q5 drives better, but it's not a huge difference. The Q5 is nicer inside, but again I don't think greatly so.

The Q5 has a hard drive built in with 10G of space. The RDX does not. But the RDX has a USB connection and a 16G flash drive is only $30. So I don't see that as an issue. Both have IPod integration. (RDX is through the USB connection).

The Q5 has a power lift gate and the RDX does not.

The AWD on the Q5 is probably better than on the RDX.

Both require premium gas and gas mileage is similar.

The Q5 is a little nicer looking.

The RDX warranty is a bit better. It's basic is 4 years 50,000, but the drive train is 6 year 70,000. On the Q5 it's 4 years 50,000 for both.

Price: I can get the RDX for invoice or slightly below ($35,800). In Northern Virginia I have a couple of Audi dealers at $1100 over invoice on the Q5 ($43,200). With the $1,000 Audi loyalty that's $42,200.

So here's my problem. I like the Q5 better, but that's a huge price difference ($6,400). Am I missing anything in the comparison? I'm trying to talk myself into the Q5, but that price difference is so big...
Old 03-28-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Isn't Acura coming out with a new body style for the RDX as a 2011 model? I'm not sure if you could wait that long though.

Anyway, I've also switched back and forth between the RDX and Q5. I'm on my 2nd Audi, and that's why I'd choose the Q5 despite the price premium.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd been in a similar situation, evaluating the RDX and the Q5. I'm coming off of a lease on a TL, so I'd been thinking about the RDX because I really wanted to get back into a vehicle with AWD. Prior to the TL I'd had a TT, so I was missing the Audi "experience". I know it's just a matter of taste, but I actually think the interior on the RDX is too "plastic-y". I don't think it's near as nice as the interior on my current TL and nowhere near what you get with Audi - either in the TT or the Q5. So for me the interior is a hands down winner in the Q5.

As far as the driving experience, I have to admit that driving the RDX was fun. It reminded me very much of my TT in fact. There isn't anything that comes close to the acceleration rush you get when a turbo comes on boost, and because of that the RDX actually has much higher torque than the Q5 and it's a lighter vehicle. That being said, it doesn't feel nearly as refined to drive and, for me at least, even with the fun factor, I felt that the Q5 was more engaging to drive. I was able to drive both the RDX and the Q5 in a recent snow storm here in Colorado and they both felt confident on slushy, ice covered roads, but again, the Q5 seemed to be a little more stable and controlled. My TT was actually a little tank in the snow (with snow tires of course). The Q5 was every bit that and more due to the larger size and higher ride.

I'm an Industrial Designer by trade and I think the final kicker for me was the styling on both vehicles. I like the back end of the RDX, but I really don't care for the nose at all - across the brand actually. I think my older style TL is much nicer looking than the newer TL. My wife even comented that they "look like Pontiac's". For me at least, the Audi looks more refined and elegant with very well thought out proportions.

I'm getting the Q5 (in a few weeks acording to my dealer), and I don't have any regrets.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

The power lift gate is worth every cent of the $6400...come'on you can open it with a click of a button...

j/k...on a serious note, I think it's all personal preference. As MiTT stated it's about the fun factor. Drive both and see which one you feel good and most comfortable in. I test drove both the XC60 and X3...fell in love with the Q5 more than enough to break out the extra cash.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just made the last payment on my 07 RDX Tech. Still haven't decided for sure what I'm going with next, but leaning heavily toward the Q5.

Test drove the 2010 RDX to see what improvements have been made. The ride was slightly less jarring (which is good). However, the turbo4 engine is just as coarse sounding as before. The car will scoot and handles very well. The engine just doesn't seem up to the task unless you are really pushing it and the sound that it produces resembles a Civic.

I didn't really notice any upgrades to the interior materials at all. Still the same hard plastics everywhere. Same road noise too.

I know the MDX is a much bigger vehicle, but it seems more like the Q5 competition (price-wise too).

Pricing is really the only thing giving me pause about the Q5, but I guess if you put it up against the MDX, it makes sense. I think I just ruled out the RDX and (for me) it's between the MDX and Q5. I've got 30 days to decide, but leaning more and more towards the Q5.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jbppsu
The Q5 drives better, but it's not a huge difference. The Q5 is nicer inside, but again I don't think greatly so.

The Q5 is a little nicer looking.

The RDX warranty is a bit better. It's basic is 4 years 50,000, but the drive train is 6 year 70,000. On the Q5 it's 4 years 50,000 for both.

Price: I can get the RDX for invoice or slightly below ($35,800). In Northern Virginia I have a couple of Audi dealers at $1100 over invoice on the Q5 ($43,200). With the $1,000 Audi loyalty that's $42,200.

So here's my problem. I like the Q5 better, but that's a huge price difference ($6,400). Am I missing anything in the comparison? I'm trying to talk myself into the Q5, but that price difference is so big...
If you think the Q5 is only a little better in all those areas, then there is no way you can justify the $6400 difference, go with the RDX and save a few bucks.

The Q5 much better built than the RDX, I can tell the difference on my 1st test drive, if you cannot, then you will be wasting your money if you end up buying the Q5.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you think the Q5 is only a little better in all those areas, then there is no way you can justify the $6400 difference, go with the RDX and save a few bucks.

The Q5 much better built than the RDX, I can tell the difference on my 1st test drive, if you cannot, then you will be wasting your money if you end up buying the Q5.
You took the words out of my mouth!

Is the Q5 bigger than the RDX? The Q5 is like nothing i've ever driven before. Especially on the highway and especially at speeds near triple digits. Even if you don't get that high, at lower speeds its great too. I'm also pretty sure the Q5 gets better gas mileage. To each his own though. Enjoy your Honda! JDM!

Last edited by Coolieman1220; 03-29-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Something I've never mentioned before when writing my experiences on these two vehicles. When I first got into the RDX I hit my head, so once inside I confirmed the seat would be where I felt comfortable with it while driving which was all the way down and fairly far back. When I got out I hit my head again forgetting to be careful while exiting. Walked back into the showroom saw a model on the showroom floor that was in a color I liked (oooh something shiny! Of corse still hurting from my previous two incidents but not being mindful of them) Got in again forgetting to watch my head and smucked it again. Well that was enough for me with the RDX, closed the door and the chapter on the RDX for me. Never had that problem with the Q. I'm 6' tall and everyone enters a car in their own manner. My manner was not conducive to the design of the RDX. Had no problems with the Q5 Q7 or the MDX.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GenSpec
Something I've never mentioned before when writing my experiences on these two vehicles. When I first got into the RDX I hit my head,
I thought I was the only only one who keep hitting my head while entering the RDX, much be a design flaw.

The Q5 is great at high speed, much more stable than the RDX. I love a car that is stable at a 100 MPH, that would mean I can do 80 MPH and feel like I am doing 55 MPH.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbppsu
The AWD on the Q5 is probably better than on the RDX.

The Q5 is a little nicer looking. <--

Get with European Delivery - get your 5% off + expirinese that you never forget!!!!

Last edited by TIME89; 03-29-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs. Acura RDX