Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs FX35

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Infiniti does throw a lot of tech into their cars. IMO, it does not improve the driving experience. Alhough the rear entertainment is nice to have, I'm sure it's bundled into a package that will raise the price significantly.

Infiniti's tend to think sport = hard ride. You will find the Q5to have a firm ride but well damped. You will not experince the crashing from road impacts like you will when driving an FX.

The AWD systems are completely different. I'll keep is short- Quattro is time tested and mechanically superior.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by besyugan
In terms of rear entertainment, I would not pay top dollar for factory rear enterntainment system but would rather buy an Ipad clip for the rear.
I can't second this enough. For the price of a low-end entertainment system you can get separate ipads for the kids that will keep them occupied en route and at their destination.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

You guys are helping me a lot. Thanks!
I've set up and appointment and I'm test driving an FX35 this Friday. After that I'm going back to my Audi dealership and take another look at the Q5.

@HaveBullDogWillTravel The analogy is totally funny and correct! I still like the design of the FX35 though. So but you would have bought an Infiniti, if your wife would have liked it?

@besyugan I've been to that website and I'm well aware of that the two vehicles are in different classes, but I don't really understand why. Size wise they are very similar and actually the FX35's cargo area is a lot smaller. Maybe the larger engine puts the FX35 in the Midsize category.

I'm using my bank's car buying program, which gives a very nice discount on Infinities, and an OK discount on Audis. A fully loaded FX35 would cost me $53,300+taxes and fees. A 2012 Q5 Prestige S-line with Luxury Package would be $55,418 (including taxes and fees), but I would still have to spend about $1500 on the entertainment system (I have to have the integrated look, so the iPad solution won't work for me).

I'll report back after my test drive.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you have any concerns on reliability, the later models (2011 onwards) seem to have ironed out most issues. Check out truedelta.com, and you'll see this improving reliability. If you're not familiar with this site, it relies on user data to report number of repairs per year per 100 cars. 2010 had 81, a bit higher than average. 2011 has 25, well below average.

Enjoy the test drive! For us, we knew on the test drive of the Q5 that it was the one
Old 11-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by moncsicsi
OK. I think I simplified my question too much, so I feel I owe you a little more details.
First of all, you guys need to know that I'm trying to make a move from a mommy-car (2008 Odyssey) to something more "fun" and luxurious. I test drove a 3.2 Q5 a few weeks ago and totally loved it. I never drove an FX35, but, based on the reviews I saw, it's a really nice, sporty ride as well. I’ve read many of the posts on this forum and that’s what sent me back shopping. I see there are some problems with the Q5 - like rattling seats, squeaking armrests, and other quality problems. And that darn audio streaming via Bluetooth! I can’t believe Audi doesn’t make that available. It wouldn’t be such a problem either if the connector wasn’t in the glove box. Although I’m letting the family car go, the family is still there. I have two young kids who enjoy watching movies on long trips. Lifesaver! Unfortunately a rear seat entertainment system for the Q5 is not a factory option. The dealer I’ve been in touch with want to sell me a system for $2500, but I don’t want to pay that much! This option is available in the FX35 for “only” $1500.
Now my concerns with the Infiniti are bad gas mileage (I know, it’s a bigger engine) and lack of cargo space. I thought the Q5 was already small, but the FX35 is even smaller. Oh and no gorgeous panoramic sun roof.
So anyone test drove and FX35 before decided on the Q5? What were your reasons for taking the Q5?
@Chris No, I haven’t joined an FX35 forum. But I visited one or two and have read some very bias posts, so they were really no help.
@ dsackman Thanks for your effort, but you could’ve just kept your sarcasm to yourself. Plus I’m not a dude.
This forum is a fantastic resource, but you need to take things here with a grain of salt as those of us who frequent this site are a small minority of Q5 owners, but are highly vocal about any problems. I would not equate a few "squeaks and rattles" with "quality problems", and the newest Q5's seem to have far less issues than the earlier model years. Most of us here are Audi biased and I for one just cannot compare an Infiniti with an Audi for the intangible "coolness" factor. They are both great cars, no doubt, but Audi is something special IMO. I have been driving AUdi's since 2001 (allroad, A4 Avant and now a 2010 3.2 Q5) and the FX35 looks pretty darn funky compared to the Q5! Good luck in your search.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=moncsicsi;24221155]@besyugan I've been to that website and I'm well aware of that the two vehicles are in different classes, but I don't really understand why. Size wise they are very similar and actually the FX35's cargo area is a lot smaller. Maybe the larger engine puts the FX35 in the Midsize category.

QUOTE]

Size wize they are not similar at all, FX @ overall lenth of 191.3 vs Q5 @ 182.2. and I bet if you ask your kids they'll go with an Ipad.

I have supplier program from from work as well and wold have gotten a very good deal on any infiniti (dealer invoice, less 1500, less any incentives). I test drove both FX35 and EX35 and was not amazed with the ride nor the build quality. Infinity to me felt nothing more than Nisan with a luxury badge.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just thought I would let you know I have a 2009 FX35 and have been extremely satisfied with it. Love all the tech features and have not had a problem.
But I get auntsy for something new every 2 or 3 years, that's why I joined this site. I'm not sure whether to wait and see if an engine change is in the future for the Q5 (a bit more power) or get a new FX50 next year.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@HaveBullDogWillTravel The analogy is totally funny and correct! I still like the design of the FX35 though. So but you would have bought an Infiniti, if your wife would have liked it?
Can't say for sure but we at least would have test-driven one.

We were out testing several vehicles and the wife happened to remember a commercial that she had seen with all of the SUVs in the parking garage and 1 Q5 that kinda stood out. So we checked it out and the 2 of us were sold as soon as we were done with the test-drive.

There have been very few cars that I've owned that after 2 years of driving...(if my Q5 were to get totaled or stolen tomorrow)...I'd go find another one just like it...except I'd probably get 19" wheels instead of 18"s. That's how pleased we are with this car.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using my bank's car buying program, which gives a very nice discount on Infinities, and an OK discount on Audis. A fully loaded FX35 would cost me $53,300+taxes and fees. A 2012 Q5 Prestige S-line with Luxury Package would be $55,418 (including taxes and fees), but I would still have to spend about $1500 on the entertainment system (I have to have the integrated look, so the iPad solution won't work for me).

I'll report back after my test drive.
If this http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/q5/q5...rtainment.html is Audi's idea of an integrated rear entertainment system you're better off with ipads.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Our other car is a G35 and I'm still in love with it. It's been fantastic - very fun to drive and ridiculously reliable. Its replacement will probably be a G37X. One time, I got an FX35 as a loaner and was all excited about it - I thought they were pretty cool looking/intriguing. However, it understeered and handled sluggishly, with a very bumpy, truck-like ride. It was also small inside, horrible on gas and hideously/needlessly expensive, not at all worth the extra 10 grand over a G.

I've heard the latest FX generation supposedly drives much better, but I still don't have any urge to pick one up. YMMV though. We have no regrets whatsoever about getting our Q, and I'd absolutely buy another one of those when this one gets a little too old for us. It's so well done in just about every respect... except for that durned sliding center console/armrest

Quick Reply: Q5 vs FX35