Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs FX35

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why aren't you cross shopping BMW X3's?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Thunder22
Why aren't you cross shopping BMW X3's?
I test drove an X3 right after I drove the Q5. While I thought the ride wasn't bad, I didn't get that "Oh wow! I love this" feeling like I did in the Q5. But my biggest problem with the X3 is its design - both exterior and interior.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gat821
If you have any concerns on reliability, the later models (2011 onwards) seem to have ironed out most issues. Check out truedelta.com, and you'll see this improving reliability. If you're not familiar with this site, it relies on user data to report number of repairs per year per 100 cars. 2010 had 81, a bit higher than average. 2011 has 25, well below average.

Enjoy the test drive! For us, we knew on the test drive of the Q5 that it was the one
Thanks for the site info.
When I test drove the Q5 I felt like I was a child again and it was Christmas. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision. That's all.
I love the color of your Q5 - if that's the one in the picture.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Allraodgone
This forum is a fantastic resource, but you need to take things here with a grain of salt as those of us who frequent this site are a small minority of Q5 owners, but are highly vocal about any problems. I would not equate a few "squeaks and rattles" with "quality problems", and the newest Q5's seem to have far less issues than the earlier model years. Most of us here are Audi biased and I for one just cannot compare an Infiniti with an Audi for the intangible "coolness" factor. They are both great cars, no doubt, but Audi is something special IMO. I have been driving AUdi's since 2001 (allroad, A4 Avant and now a 2010 3.2 Q5) and the FX35 looks pretty darn funky compared to the Q5! Good luck in your search.
Thanks. I'm actually at the end of my search. I've been looking at reviews, specs, comparisons for months. My head is spinning. I had made up my mind about ordering a Q5, but I guess the last minute anxiety has given me cold feet before the "wedding".
Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
If this http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/q5/q5...rtainment.html is Audi's idea of an integrated rear entertainment system you're better off with ipads.
Oh, no, no, no! You are right, that's not something I would put in my car. Here in the US I cannot order the Q5 with an entertainment system. The system I'm talking about is an after market, integrated nicely in the headrests. My dealership has it's own vendor, but, as I said, the price is too high through the dealer. I will have to go, do my own research to find a local car audio/video place, but I'm just afraid that they will screw something up.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

moncsicsi, sounds like you made up your mind already, but I will add my two cents anyways. Infiniti in my opinion has a radical looking design, if one can get pass that radical design, then it’s not a bad car underneath. Just remember, you have to look at that radical design day in and day out for years. It might look good at first, but after a while, your opinion might change. Whereas Audi has a more traditional and classic design. Infiniti’s biggest advantage is toys and more toys. Some toys can be add in later, so electronics is usually not high on my priority list. Other things like design and build quality cannot be change, I place those items higher on my list. Infiniti is a bit more reliable than Audi, but if reliability is a major concern, then maybe you should be looking at a Lexus, not Audi or Infiniti. Handling and ride comfort wise, the Q5 have the advantage over the FX. Audi’s design intention for the Q5 is to make a well rounded SUV, one that is pretty good in all areas and I think they have succeeded in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our neighbor has the FX and it IS ugly in our humble opinion... and this comes from someone who ALMOST bought the previous FX design

Also, consider aftermarket carefully as the Q has fiber optics running throughout and may give the installer some surprises

Re my forays into:
1) a remote starter for the car (no interfaces are readily available and thus the installer has to figure it out by trial and error !)

2) The Nav maps aren't even being updated by Audi !!! much less any aftermarket...

but still love to drive the Q when I can as it is my wife's daily driver...

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 11-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just another data point .. I am a current 2004 FX35 owner. Absolutely love the car. It's been relatively reliable with only minor maintenance issues, plus the usual stuff, brakes, tires.

The only reason I'm considering a Q5 is "for a change in pace" .. try something different.

The FX35 doesn't compare to the Q5 .. it's the EX35 you would compare to Q5.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kbuck320
Just another data point .. I am a current 2004 FX35 owner. Absolutely love the car. It's been relatively reliable with only minor maintenance issues, plus the usual stuff, brakes, tires.

The only reason I'm considering a Q5 is "for a change in pace" .. try something different.

The FX35 doesn't compare to the Q5 .. it's the EX35 you would compare to Q5.
Thanks. We are testing the FX tomorrow. Unfortunately the Limited is gone (my husband thinks that is a cool looking ride), but I still want to know how an AWD FX35 drives and really looks. (Don't see very many of them here where I live).

As far as comparing the FX35 and the Q5, I don't see what is such a big deal about it. Yes, the FX35 is 9 inches longer and it's a class higher, but there are parts of if that are actually tighter, and the cargo space is quite a bit smaller than the Q5's. It's not like I'm trying to compare a Mini Cooper to an Escalade.

I'm glad to see that I could pick either vehicles and I would probably be equally happy and satisfied.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The FX drives well, even if it's not exactly beautiful. If you really like the car, you always have the option to dress it up a bit. The Lorinser FX looks much better to me.

http://www.insideline.com/infiniti/f...x-gallery.html

Quick Reply: Q5 vs FX35