Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs. X3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
xmm, I think I lost few pounds after that pics...
What, did you shave the beard?
Old 10-22-2011, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geronimosan
Of all the Quattro systems in your examples, (except possibly the second last and last ones) none actually bear any relationship to the Q5 - the others use different centre differential systems.

The video's of the Q5 genuinely depict how the Q5 performs under these roller circumstances but if you knew what you were doing, I'm sure you could get the Q5 off the rollers with very little trouble - just takes a bit of intervention by the driver.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Good thing my wife doesn't have to drive on rollers that often ;O
Never a truer word was said!

Last edited by CrustyNoodle; 10-23-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by geronimosan
What, did you shave the beard?
yes, and I take a shower and cut my nails.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Of all the Quattro systems in your examples, (except possibly the second last and last ones) actually bear any relationship to the Q5 - the others use different centre differential systems.

The video's of the Q5 genuinely depict how the Q5 performs under these roller circumstances but if you knew what you were doing, I'm sure you could get the Q5 off the rollers with very little trouble - just takes a bit of intervention by the driver.

Never a truer word was said!
Wouldn't the traction control system get power to the single wheel on the ground in this situation? I thought the Q5 had EDL (electronic differential lock) on the front and rear axles that would apply the brake to the spinning rear wheel?
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure you can make any awd system look superior to another, provided you have control over the variables.

xDrive's darkest hour:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x7nGXpqb3FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-23-2011, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jjandersonn
Wouldn't the traction control system get power to the single wheel on the ground in this situation? I thought the Q5 had EDL (electronic differential lock) on the front and rear axles that would apply the brake to the spinning rear wheel?
Very good point and very good thinking. Unfortunately in this test, both front wheels are on the rollers which unfortunately means that the torsen centre diff unloads and is unable to send enough torque to the rear. Somewhere around only 30% of the torque being sent to the front would have gone to the rear and as the fronts are spinning with no resistance, there is basically no torque going to the front so say, 10Nm to the front X 30% = two tenths of stuff all to the rear axle and not enough to push the car off the rollers - even with EDL active. In fact they could have had both rear wheels on the ground and the poor Q5 would have been stuck (under those conditions and they way they were driving it).

All it should have taken to get the Q5 off the rollers was a bit of light brake pressure to load up the front axle and get some torque transferred to the rear - simple!
Old 10-23-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting, I didn't realize the center differential worked this way in the Q5. I thought it would lock to get the torque to the rear where it was needed. I'm also surprised the traction control system didn't do the needed braking on the front axle, I assumed with all the traction system electronics the Q5 would manage a way to get the power to the wheel that needed it.

I guess I'm used to my Jeep that has 3 locking differentials, it would hardly even hesitate with three wheels on rollers. It's also a purpose built 4x4 for off road and it handles and rides like a tank on the road.

I assume on snowy, icy roads (rather than rollers) the Q5 rarely gets stuck? Our first winter with the Q5 is just around the corner...
Old 10-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDI2T4IOK4

This video is very interesting to me, although, I didn't understand anything that they were saying, but from the looks of the test, you can tell what in the world they were talking about
Old 10-24-2011, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice video - I wish I understood German!

I think this demonstrates that in the real world (or at least under the conditions in the video) the Q5 is not at a disadvantage. So as HotRodW intimated: stay away from single axle rollers when driving your Q5 to pick up the kids!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Nice video - I wish I understood German!

I think this demonstrates that in the real world (or at least under the conditions in the video) the Q5 is not at a disadvantage. So as HotRodW intimated: stay away from single axle rollers when driving your Q5 to pick up the kids!
Thanks!
I wish there were someone that can translate to give us just the main points.

Quick Reply: Q5 vs. X3