Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 w/ factory tow hitch, looking for a picture

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, that s-line install is very clean (and what I would do if my next Q5 has the hitch). In order to get to the electrical hookup I assume you'd have to pop the panel off....

-tgt

Originally Posted by wrcardon
That is the cleanest job I have seen done yet. How do you access the 7 pin electrical trailer connector?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardmember

With this super clean install, how do you access the electronics for the trailer?
Also, how did you cut it? What tool did you use?

Love the look and want to do the same with my SQ5.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cardmember

This would be perfect for folks who rarely tow, especially if you have the SQ5 so you wouldn't have to chop the left lower fin off to accomodate for the electrical harness. Just remove the panel when you do tow and have the clean look for the other 364 days.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is my hitch with the opening for the electrical connector.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are the S-Line rear bumpers the same for 13-14 as the 09-12? I found this factory bumper cover for the port-installed hitch, p/n: 8R0 807 819 J 1RR but it's listed for the 09-12. For a $920 hitch, you would think this would be provided with the S-Lines...
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is how my 09 Q5 looked after the dealer installed my hitch. They insisted I buy the European bottom lower bumper cover with the hitch cover plate. I think most other dealers were just making a cutout on the original lower bumper cover (and some looked pretty bad on a $40K+ SUV). I never tried to do the cutouts on the removable cover, so my Q5 looked pretty bad with that large unfinished look about it. I wanted the hitch, so I lived with it.
I think Audi designed these cover plates to use with the European hitch, which was only rated for 2500 or 3000lbs, and they actually swing up and so you could just pop on the cover plate. They never thought about the American market hitch that doesn’t swing up in there designs. I forgot how rough and ugly my 13 Q5 cutouts looked up close and was really embarrassed to show it here on the board. Some day when I have some time I’ll take the plate off and try to clean it up.
Attached Images    
Old 09-12-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcutchall
Are the S-Line rear bumpers the same for 13-14 as the 09-12? I found this factory bumper cover for the port-installed hitch, p/n: 8R0 807 819 J 1RR but it's listed for the 09-12. For a $920 hitch, you would think this would be provided with the S-Lines...
Looks like the uncut plate that came with my hitch
Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wrcardon
With this super clean install, how do you access the electronics for the trailer?
Also, how did you cut it? What tool did you use?

Love the look and want to do the same with my SQ5.
You access them from under the vehicle and inside the trunk, from both where the spare is and the opening in the right side. I cut it with a wiz wheel then filed it down.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Factory Hitch Cover Available

So good news for those who have the hitch installed on the MY13/14 Q5's with the 3.0T gas or 3.0 TDI (w/ S-Line package). After extensive research and arguements with the Audi parts folks, there appears to be a factory orderable trim piece with the clean cut lines.

The weird part is, I had them order 8R0 807 819 J (based off the 2009-2012 models), but when it was delivered, the back of the trim piece said -H, rather than -J. I'm pretty sure the un-cut piece is 8R0 807 819 H and since I turned it in with the new one, I'm not able to verify. The impression I'm getting is that the factory is factory cutting the -H and selling them as -J's, so the p/n on the back still has them as -H.

At any rate, I recieved the factory cut trim for free with a little persistance. The service manager was really cool about it and even mentioned he never even knew they existed but something Audi should definitely include with the hitch option. So for those who don't feel comfortable about cutting down their trim, like me, now you don't have to. If you have the 2.0, you're still on your own

Also, for those that still have the uncut piece, can you verify the part number. Again, this is for those with the S-line style bumpers. I should also note that I have a US model so I'm not sure if they differ from other countries or not.
Attached Images     
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

So good news for those who have the hitch installed on the MY13/14 Q5's with the 3.0T gas or 3.0 TDI (w/ S-Line package). After extensive research and arguements with the Audi parts folks, there appears to be a factory orderable trim piece with the clean cut lines.

The weird part is, I had them order 8R0 807 819 J (based off the 2009-2012 models), but when it was delivered, the back of the trim piece said -H, rather than -J. I'm pretty sure the un-cut piece is 8R0 807 819 H and since I turned it in with the new one, I'm not able to verify. The impression I'm getting is that the factory is factory cutting the -H and selling them as -J's, so the p/n on the back still has them as -H.

At any rate, I recieved the factory cut trim for free with a little persistance. The service manager was really cool about it and even mentioned he never even knew they existed but something Audi should definitely include with the hitch option. So for those who don't feel comfortable about cutting down their trim, like me, now you don't have to. If you have the 2.0, you're still on your own

Also, for those that still have the uncut piece, can you verify the part number. Again, this is for those with the S-line style bumpers. I should also note that I have a US model so I'm not sure if they differ from other countries or not.
It is true that part 8R0 807 819 J replaced with 8R0 807 819 H

Name:  ScreenShot198_zps6b620531.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  45.2 KB

Quick Reply: Q5 w/ factory tow hitch, looking for a picture