Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 Warranty and Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Warranty and Maintenance Costs

Hey guys, I'm considering a Q5 purchase here in Westchester County, NY. I'd like to know a few things before I go ahead and buy:

1. Is it worth getting the extended warranty?
2. What maintenance costs should I expect? Are the "true cost to own" estimates found on various websites realistic?
3. Are the reliability issues mentioned on other threads still true for the 2013/2014 Q5 model?
3. Do I have room to negotiate for a 2013 now that the 2014 model is on the horizon?

Thank you for any information you can give me to help here.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome. I'm also in N.Y. and see you're shopping in the Westchester area. We've purchased two Audi's and both were purchased in the N.J. area. Two very aggressive dealerships are Bell Audi in Edison N.J. and Newton VW/Audi in Sussex N.J. They'll save you $$ if you're willing to do the leg work and possible drive.

If you purchase Audicare for around $800, it'll cover oil and filter changes, brake fluid change, software updates/upgrades, loaners and a bunch of check this, check that. For 5k(included free) 15k,25K, 35k and 45K.

As for extended warranty, it's a peace of mind thing...I'm a gambling man and therefore skipped the ext. warranty on both our '10 Q and S5. Have, luckily no need for it on the Q5 and despite the first year German car no no's of buying them. The Q5 had the water pump issue/ replacement and DRL's modules. Many of the 3.2's have had carbon build-up issues but that engine is no longer available. Our Q with 65K has been splendid and is still a great driver. If you can swing the 3.0, do so. It's a superb engine...you won't regret it. If gas mileage is more important, then the 2.0 will be better but with possible oil consumption issues.

Shop around, if you do your due diligence, you could get a 3.0 at an aggresive dealer for only a couple of hundred more than a 2.0 at a lame dealer.

Here is a link to dealers in our area. There are many and therefore competition is a good thing for the buyer. GOOD LUCK.

http://www.tristateaudidealers.com/locations/index.htm
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, but what about specifics about maintenance? Does the $800 more than cover for the maintenance costs that I would otherwise incur?

Does Edmunds give good numbers for maintenance costs, or am I in for a treat?
http://www.edmunds.com/audi/q5/2013/tco.html

And what about complaints like the ones on ConsumerAffairs.org, where the first dozen I've read say that the service often refuses to honor warranty claims?

What about the KBB Fair Purchase Price - is this a fair estimate of the fair price of the car? This is about 3.8% below MSRP, whereas most dealers so far have given me 2-2.5% off the MSRP.

(As I now own a Toyota Yaris, the 2.0 will be more than enough for starters. )
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audicare $750 was enough for us for 45k miles. YMMV, as driving habits, traffic, roads and many other factors will determine your maintenance costs. We're still on our original Michelins and brakes. Yes, the brakes have 65k on them as well as the tires. (wife drives lots of Highway)Tires and brakes will likely need replacing before winter arrives. Only out of pocket so far has been an oil and filter change at 55k for $147. Another is due next week for our 65K service.

Don't know enough about Edmunds maintenance costs. Others will have to chime in about their 2.0T.

As for consumerAffairs.org complaints. No one goes on there other than to complain. Most everything is expected to be negative complaints/comments.

As for the KBB fair price of 3.8 below MSRP, again you'll have to work the dealers against each other in order to get your best price. Use sites such as AMEX/ZAG, USAA and build your Q and start with that price. Get them to give you an OTD (out the door) price on their business card, this helped me get a couple hundred over invoice, rather than a couple thousand/hundred under MSRP.

Finally, if worried about Audi complaints, maintenance costs, depreciation, insurance etc. as a current Toyota owner,it's probably better to stick with Toyota/Lexus and look into the RX-350 IMO.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audicare and Audi's approach to maintenance are subpar compared to some other brands. I purchased Audicare for my S4 per advice of the sales guy who misled me by saying it covers all aspects of maintenance, much like BMW does with their free scheduled maintenance. On few occasions, I've found out that it's simply untrue. My issue with warped brake rotors, which cause the car to vibrate during higher speed braking, not covered, though BMW did a full brake job free on my previous car. On my most recent visit to Audi, the SA said my car needs power steering flush and injector cleaning, again none of which are covered by Audicare maintenance plan. Was looking into purchasing a Q5, but calculated that it would cost me at least 3k more in maintenance vs BMW X3 in the first 50k miles of ownership. Beautiful cars, wish I could stick with Audi, but for a premium brand, it seems the only premium is coming out of your wallet. Read through my post on AZ: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ience-horrible
Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is my experience with a 2009 Q5 3.2

Purchased 5/09 – just traded it in for a 2013 Q5 3.0 w/48.5K miles on the 09

Paid $750 for AudiCare for 15k, 25K, 35K and 45K services
Paid $89 each for oil change/inspection at 10K, 20K, 30K and 40K
Paid $450 for front pads/rotors at 44K
Only problem I had with the Q5 – both LED front lights stopped working – one on the second day I had it and the other one at 5K (a day or two before it was going in for the free 5k service.

The Q5 has been a great SUV with a LOT less problems (and costs) than a 2004 RX 330 and 2006 Acura MDX that I owned.
One more thing…. It retained 54% of its original cost at trade–in time.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

AudiCare is now $830 for the Q5.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jakefromchi
Audicare and Audi's approach to maintenance are subpar compared to some other brands. I purchased Audicare for my S4 per advice of the sales guy who misled me by saying it covers all aspects of maintenance, much like BMW does with their free scheduled maintenance. On few occasions, I've found out that it's simply untrue. My issue with warped brake rotors, which cause the car to vibrate during higher speed braking, not covered, though BMW did a full brake job free on my previous car. On my most recent visit to Audi, the SA said my car needs power steering flush and injector cleaning, again none of which are covered by Audicare maintenance plan. Was looking into purchasing a Q5, but calculated that it would cost me at least 3k more in maintenance vs BMW X3 in the first 50k miles of ownership. Beautiful cars, wish I could stick with Audi, but for a premium brand, it seems the only premium is coming out of your wallet. Read through my post on AZ: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ience-horrible
So you got suckered by the dealership (power steering flush and injector cleaning) and that is Audi's fault?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakefromchi
Understand that when you buy a car, you pay for all warranty items in the price of the car upfront, no matter what you want to believe. Neither is Audi nor any manufacturer going to fix YOUR car on their nickel. Same with maintenance, either you pre-pay it via Audi Care, or you pay as you go. The buyer always pays the maintenance costs, one way or another. Companies are not in the business to give you anything. They estimate the cost of all warranty repairs on their cars, and average that over all the cars they sell, then add that to the purchase price of a car. Therefore your "new car warranty" is really an insurance policy for repairs for which you have already paid the full premium. If you believe differently, you are deluding yourself.

As for Audi Care, it covers items listed in the maintenance schedule, not otherwise. If an item is not listed, it is not covered because it has not been pre-paid. Pretty simple, huh? I can't find fuel injector cleaning on the list for my 2013 Q5, therefore you know upfront they will not cover that under Audi Care, because you have not pre-paid for that service. This is easily solved by adding a can of Chevron Techron ($10), and always using a major brand detergent gasoline. Also, I do not see that regular maintenance covers steering fluid flush, nor is it suggested anywhere in the schedule for up to 130,000 miles; I guess Audi considers it "permanent." So if you need it, then you pay for it at that time, because you have not pre-paid it. Are you starting to get the picture?

As for brake rotors, if they are defective, then they are covered in the warranty period. If you can't demonstrate they were deffective, then they are not covered. Brake pads are not mentioned in the maintainance schedule, so guess what, they are not covered (pre-paid) in Audi Care. You pay for pads when you need them.

We all know that Service Departments have recommended additonal service not suggested in the factory maintenance schedule. This makes extra profit for the Service Department. I reject all such suggestions. For example, fuel injector cleaning (have you noticed that your car is running rough?) and steering fluid flush seem to fit that model.

I have owned 4 Audi's, ran the first one 135,000 miles with no significant issues with either warranty or maintenace. The second one I ran 60,000 miles and sold it to move up to an A7 (25,000 miles), and now my Q5. I have had no warranty or maintenance disputes on any of them. Audi is as good as any, and better than most in my experience. By the way, I do not buy (pre-pay) the extended warranties or Audi Care Plus. I self-insure for those miles, and budget for maintenance.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q5

hi

Quick Reply: Q5 Warranty and Maintenance Costs