Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 Warranty and Maintenance Costs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much. There was at least one post with actual numbers. It seemed lower than Edmunds, so I don't know what to make of it.

Like you're all saying, maybe I need to deal with the maintenance as something normal. It's just hard to accept that a luxury car could cost thousands of dollars down the road to maintain. I want it to perform if I feed it good food (gas, oil, etc). I hear instead that repair costs can grow steep. I don't know, is it wrong to think of luxury as synonymous with reliability?

Anyway, I went to the dealer today and had my deposit refunded. I don't want to pay on a 2013 the -2.5% price that was negotiated a month ago, not this close to the end of the season. True, I want a specific configuration, but I also have the "luxury" of waiting and getting the 2014 model. If nothing else, it will help with resale price, especially if I have to sell early because of reliability issues.

I may look closer into the Lexus. This was my first choice after all when I first looked at these babies a couple of years ago.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi Pure one Protection

Here is a previous link on the Audi Pure One Protection (warranty).
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2832653

I purchased mine mostly for peace of mind, but the clincher for me was the fact you can cash it in at the end if you did not use it, minus a $50 processing fee.

If you decide to purchase, check and double check that the dealer is in fact selling you the Audi plan. Verify on the back page that it has the cash out option in it.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Default I have a 2002, Audi A4

Originally Posted by viridium
Hey guys, I'm considering a Q5 purchase here in Westchester County, NY. I'd like to know a few things before I go ahead and buy:

1. Is it worth getting the extended warranty?
2. What maintenance costs should I expect? Are the "true cost to own" estimates found on various websites realistic?
3. Are the reliability issues mentioned on other threads still true for the 2013/2014 Q5 model?
3. Do I have room to negotiate for a 2013 now that the 2014 model is on the horizon?

Thank you for any information you can give me to help here.
with 61K miles, now yes that's not a lot of miles, I had a set of ignition coils replaced under waranty in 2002, everyone did as it was a corporate disaster.

Then 1 set of brakes, 2 sets of tires, and 1 battery, nothing else. Car looks like new, in fact, the tech evaluating the trade-in said do I really want to give up this great car. The 3.0 engine never burned any oil, pulls super strong, no steering issues, no funky transmission gear selections, no injector flushing, same brake fluid 11 years later and great pedal feel and stopping power, no stumble or hesitation after instantly starting at any temperture just a flawless well built car.

Now I ordered a Q5 and expect the worst, as it sure looks like Audi engineering has gone downhill with oil consumption, carbon buildup, electric steering issues, funky trans issues, etc., etc., etc...........

A parking brake cable for a 2002 A4 is about $100, the Q5 electronic parking brake system (controller, 2 motors) is $2K!!! Why do we need an electronic parking brake?

I do my own maintenance so those costs are minimal, if you don't do your own then it just might be worth the maintenance package cost if you plan to keep the car for 50K miles.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-28-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
with 61K miles,
Now I ordered a Q5 and expect the worst, as it sure looks like Audi engineering has gone downhill with oil consumption, carbon buildup, electric steering issues, funky trans issues, etc., etc., etc...........

A parking brake cable for a 2002 A4 is about $100, the Q5 electronic parking brake system (controller, 2 motors) is $2K!!! Why do we need an electronic parking brake?

I do my own maintenance so those costs are minimal, if you don't do your own then it just might be worth the maintenance package cost if you plan to keep the car for 50K miles.
Petruska. Intesting post, but makes me wonder why you are considering buying another new Audi. They must be doing something right.

My experience is a 2007 Audi A6, 3.2, bought new. I also bought Audi Care. I had not a single issue with the car when I sold it to my son at 60,000 miles in 2011. The car was perfect. All maintenance costs were convered under AC, except a one set of tires at 37,000 miles. My son has had front axle rotors and pads done at 70,000 miles, and a new set of tires as well. We both continued to do recommended maintenance by the book at cost after 45,000 miles. The electronic brake system works perfectly. There have been no unexpected maintenance costs to date, and no oil comsumption. I bought an A7 in 2011, 25,000 miles now, no issues, nada! I just bought a 2013 Q5,3.0T, and so far only 2,000 miles, nothing to report.

Luxury cars are just that. Parts and labor cost more than less expensive makes. My guess is that AUDI, BMW, LEXUS maintenance costs are about the same. That's what you get for the luxury of owning and driving luxury.