Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quattro vs X-Drive--on ice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Let's not get too heated about this but instead let's concentrate on the facts.

The Q5 is only related to the Tiguan by the fact that they both come from VAG.

The Q5 is based on the A4 platform (longitudinal engine, front diff in-front of engine to enable engine to be mounted more rearward than previous A4 incarnations).

Tiguan is based on the Golf (transverse engine - say no more!)

This adds to the fact that no transmissions are shared between the two - they are totally different! Not to mention that the chassis and suspension is totally different.

VAG has two 2.0 turbo engines currently in use in their vehicles. One has belt driven cams the other has chain driven cams (the chain driven one is the newer of the two). People better have a look what is under the hood of their 2.0T before they start to claim that Q5 and Tiguan use the same engine.

Finally, the Jetta is also based on the Golf platform. The Passat is based on the A4 platform (previous generation).

If you want to compare apples with apples then you'd better wait for the Q3 to be released as this is the sister vehicle to the Tiguan - the Q5 is not.
I have never meant to come off heated just a discussion... and with all do respect some what you say is incorrect.

Without rehashing a repeat I'll just stick to a few main point and we can agree to disagree I guess...

The engine is identical with different power rating. The older 2.0 belt driven you are talking about was dropped mid 08. And yes it is transverse mount in Tig.

The current Passat is based on the Golf platform too. The pre 2006 Passats were based on the older A4.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mitch105
Different chassis same drivetrain.
Let me see...

I owned one of the very first Tiguan 4motion when it was released in States.

Year later I traded it in to Q5, again one of the very first available.

Last time I checked, Tiguan is HALDEX while Q5 is mechanical Torsen.

Different chassis and different drivetrain.

Last edited by kleinbus; 02-20-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

The engine is identical with different power rating. The older 2.0 belt driven you are talking about was dropped mid 08. And yes it is transverse mount in Tig.
Golf R released in 2010 uses the EA113 (belt driven cam) so this engine is still very much in production and in current VAG offerings.

Both Tig and Q5 use the EA888 then eh - I could be convinced... But the Audi has variable valve lift.

The current Passat is based on the Golf platform too. The pre 2006 Passats were based on the older A4.
My bad -I stand corrected!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Both Tig and Q5 use the EA888 then eh - I could be convinced... But the Audi has variable valve lift.

Yes it does. I think since it is Audi, they had to modify and change the power ratings for marketing purposes as well as offer the highest tech available. Also the VW is cheaper too so probably a cost thing involved.

I do notice that my A4 Avant, despite being heavier than my Tiguan, has noticeably stronger midrange performance. Both cars move very well, as this is an exceptional powerplant but that torque increase is nice.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im liking this discussion because im learning alot from it. I do not think anyone should be mad at another. everyone is making points i agree with. to me this dialog is great if we dont get into splitting hairs or get defensive

if i can add my 2 cents

to some a car is a car ... a red wine is a red wine... they r not into more subtle things ..

to me

Audi is a not fancied up VW
Lexus is not a fancied up Toyota
Acura is not a fancied up Honda

"The Whole Is Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts"

would i spend my hard earned $ on a Tiquan YES every time i drove it i loved it would i spend up for a Q5 .. maybe

yes all manufactures have a parts bin to pull from and it is wise for them utilize it in this fashion. that said... maybe w some models the manufacturer could have done a better job to differentiate .. as in many things it depends on the execution of the whole manufacturing procedures

now some generalized statements

all manufacturers know that the game is a long one

audi seems out to dethrone the benz brand or maybe at least in the minds of people and it be on a nice roll *styling growth/acceptance of quattro etc
i think it could have done a better job minimizing its under-steer issue/perception over the years

bmw prob being a smaller co. feeling the pinch most w audi success.. u aren't crazy to criticize the Bangle design .. u have to feel sorry for the owner w 1st gen iDrive trying to put 5 series into valet mode... BMW should have handled their flagship 7 series a bit better.
its performance biased side gets challenged more and more when awd is chosen over rear wheel drive .. and bmw could have done better at accepting awd and introducing x-drive earlier

maybe this rwd awd fight will be over in the future when cars ride on magnet tracks

maybe world economics will hit the german marques harder then the rest and the world ends up buying more Tatas and Hyundais

maybe it matters who accepts/executes fuel cell energy or another new energy source first

for now its not perfect but i love my a6 quattro 4.2

Last edited by MainlandMig; 02-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
to some a car is a car ... a red wine is a red wine... they r not into more subtle things ..

to me

Audi is a not fancied up VW
Lexus is not a fancied up Toyota
Acura is not a fancied up Honda
Nicely said but in Australia, we do not have the Acura brand so the NA Acura models are sold here as Honda's....

So what does that make Acura?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely said but in Australia, we do not have the Acura brand so the NA Acura models are sold here as Honda's....

Same here in England, the Honda Accord here is sold as Acura in North America (The exact same car) lol
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... maybe a brand not yet introduce to the world market.

One car does not make the whole co/brand.

I still stand by what i said.. i did say "maybe w some models the manufacturer could have done a better job to differentiate .. as in many things it depends on the execution of the whole manufacturing procedures" and i could have added that some cos. could do better to differentiate the premium brand... in the case u highlighted maybe Honda undercut Acura US long term interests with that move... we can pick out Acura even more though... here in the US when Acura wanted to break into the SUV market but do it quickly...it struck into agreement to re-badge Isuzu Troopers as the SLX while it worked on their MDX..