Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about 2014 Q5 + Audio

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about 2014 Q5 + Audio

Took my first test drive in the 2013 2.0 Q5 and loved it. Now I'm debating between the 2.0/3.0/TDI! I've never had a diesel car before...

However, this question is more about the audio options for a 2014 Q5:
1) The ipod adapter - is it still in the glove box? Is it still the non-lightning connector? I believe you can get adapters, but do you LOSE any functionality by not having the actual lightning connector? I imagine it's not nearly as future-proof?
3) Does it have AUX-in?
4) Looking at the 2014 info guides and such, I can't quite determine what gets/has bluetooth audio streaming. How do I determine whether the trim/option has bluetooth calling, bluetooth audio streaming, or both?
5) The B+O soundsystem is a $1k upgrade. I've currently got the stock speakers on my 2007 Accord. I'd ASSUME the base on the Audi Q5 are going to be better, and it'd be unimportant for me to consider the upgrade?

FYI, this is for the Canadian Q5...
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
1) The ipod adapter - is it still in the glove box? Is it still the non-lightning connector? I believe you can get adapters, but do you LOSE any functionality by not having the actual lightning connector? I imagine it's not nearly as future-proof?
Yes, yes, and I've heard that video isn't available. I think it was snagitseven who had a big post on the options over in the A6 forum (and linked it in a thread over here). I'll see if I can find that.

EDIT - Here we go: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907 (as mentioned it's an A6 post, but he talks about the different cables and support on different iOS devices)

3) Does it have AUX-in?
No, you'll need to use an AMI cable for that (1/8" AMI cable, for example). Not as convenient as a jack in the dash or whatever.

5) The B+O soundsystem is a $1k upgrade. I've currently got the stock speakers on my 2007 Accord. I'd ASSUME the base on the Audi Q5 are going to be better, and it'd be unimportant for me to consider the upgrade?
I've got a 2009 Odyssey Touring (higher-end system), so probably have speakers that are slightly better than your Accord. The base system in the Q5 seemed decent enough, though I had to lower the bass because it was a bit boomy otherwise. B&O was a lot cleaner and I plan on going that way (especially since the pricing on the TDI was more reasonable than I was planning for), but if you've been happy with the Accord setup then I would expect you'd be fine with the base Q5 setup.

You can always try and see if there's vehicles available at a local dealer with base and B&O to do a demo with whatever music you like to listen to (I brought an SD card with some songs that would be likely to have issues in a lesser system), though at least near me it's hard to find non-B&O vehicles.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, our older cars are a 2000 Mercedes ML with their premium Bose system, and a 2007 Acura RDX with their premium ELS system. It was disappointment with both of these systems that I decided not to get the B&O when we ordered the Q5. I listen to classical music, and in both mine and my wife's opinion, the Q5 base system is far and away better.

One feature you might also consider is HD Radio. In the US Q5s, it comes with the Navigation system. For something that was not even on my radar screen, it was a very pleasant surprise. The sound quality is much better than satellite, approaching CD.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 81Coupe
FWIW, our older cars are a 2000 Mercedes ML with their premium Bose system, and a 2007 Acura RDX with their premium ELS system. It was disappointment with both of these systems that I decided not to get the B&O when we ordered the Q5. I listen to classical music, and in both mine and my wife's opinion, the Q5 base system is far and away better.

One feature you might also consider is HD Radio. In the US Q5s, it comes with the Navigation system. For something that was not even on my radar screen, it was a very pleasant surprise. The sound quality is much better than satellite, approaching CD.

Hope this helps.
I believe the nav in canada includes HD radio too, though I don't believe HD radio is nearly as big in canada...