Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about front parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about front parking sensors

Hi Folks,

Not sure if anybody has figured out any creative solution to automatically activate the front parking sensors when the speed falls below a certain limit. My 9 year old Mercedes has this feature and it's a great convenience when pulling into the garage or parking in tight spaces with cars or other obstructions around the car. Is there any mod available to activate the sensors based on speed?

Cheers.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

When you need press the button to activate the parking sensors
Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much are you paying? I am a mod and I'm available for the next few years as work is slack
Old 07-20-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupesh
Hi Folks,

Not sure if anybody has figured out any creative solution to automatically activate the front parking sensors when the speed falls below a certain limit. My 9 year old Mercedes has this feature and it's a great convenience when pulling into the garage or parking in tight spaces with cars or other obstructions around the car. Is there any mod available to activate the sensors based on speed?

Cheers.
So how did did the Mercedes know that you slowed down to pull into a garage or slowed down because you were in bumper to bumper traffic? I can't imagine that the mercedes turned on those front beeping sensors every time you slowed to a crawl or stopped without some kind of human activation.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My 2004 Touareg activated the sensors at speeds less than 10 miles per hour. Simple. I'm surprised the Q does not operate this way.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wass
My 2004 Touareg activated the sensors at speeds less than 10 miles per hour. Simple. I'm surprised the Q does not operate this way.
So every time you stop in city traffic and you are within 3 or 4 feet of another car that awful chime starts chirping? You've got to be kidding me. In NYC, if you leave more than 6 inches between you and the car ahead of you some good for nothing cabbie will find a way to squeeze in and then stop short for a fare. ( my apologies to any taxi drivers that may be out there) No wonder they don't work that way any more.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johncaravello
So how did did the Mercedes know that you slowed down to pull into a garage or slowed down because you were in bumper to bumper traffic? I can't imagine that the mercedes turned on those front beeping sensors every time you slowed to a crawl or stopped without some kind of human activation.
The way it works is that there is a display integrated at the top of dash and the front parking sensors get activate when the speed is below 15 mph. When the car approaches another object (car, wall, etc.) the lights start going from yellow to red. The beeps only get activated when the distance falls below 3 feet or so. It's a nifty little solution that avoids scratches and dings off the bumper, especially, if you have multiple drivers of the car. In Q5, I have learned to hit the parking button whenever I park but I'm not the only driver of the car and it's always more effective if the system kicks in without manual activation. Kinda like the back up camera that kicks in automagically without requiring pressing of the buttons. In Q5, we have all the requisite hardware and it would be great if beeps get activated if the distance falls below a certain threshold.

In the picture below, you will notice (if you squint hard enough ) that there is a small display mounted above the Nav display. The second image shows a close up of the parking sensor display from one of the MB models.
Attached Images   
Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I understand now. I do like the fact that in the Q its a feature that needs to be turned on rather than turned off if it gets annoying. Maybe they should put a master slow speed on or off option in the mmi. That is exactly what you are wishing for. Maybe it will change in the '13...ya never know.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupesh
The way it works is that there is a display integrat...............

In the picture below, you will notice (if you squint hard enough ) that there is a small display mounted above the Nav display. The second image shows a close up of the parking sensor display from one of the MB models.
I think big picture does not show the front parking sensor system, but something else.
Audi has something similar and that is:

Automatic distance control (control range 0-250 km/h); working within system limits, it uses two radar sensors and a camera to detect vehicles ahead and maintains the distance by automatic braking and accelerating; independent braking to a stop, automated restart at driver’s request; 4 distance levels and 3 driving modes (comfort, dynamic and standard) can be selected individually.

In addition to the functions of Audi pre sense basic, Audi pre sense front activates protective measures to prevent an imminent head-on collision. Working within system limits, Audi pre sense front uses the front sensors of adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go function for the detection; including Audi braking guard with warning for driver from an enhanced brake assist and preventative occupant protection in case of an imminent collision with a vehicle travelling in front provided by observation of surroundings.

Audi pre sense plus is included if Audi side assist is also ordered. In addition to the functions of Audi pre sense front, Audi pre sense plus activates the Audi braking guard in certain situations when a collision is unavoidable and initiates a full braking action to minimise the severity of the crash as much as possible.

Lane change assistant, within system limits, assists the driver when changing lanes (operating range 30–250 km/h). Displays are incorporated into both exterior mirrors. Audi side assist uses 2 radar sensors to measure the vehicle’s distance from other vehicles it has detected as well as the speed difference between them.
If Audi side assist classifies the speed difference and distance as being critical in the event of a lane change, a display will appear in the respective exterior mirror. In addition to the functions of Audi pre sense basic, Audi pre sense rear, working within system limits, uses the rear sensors of Audi side assist to detect a possible rear-end collision.

Last edited by spijun; 07-21-2012 at 06:52 AM.