Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tune

So, I'm thinking about trading in my Q5 for an S4, and I have an appointment on Sunday to get the car appraised. My question is...do you guys think the dealer will be able to detect my tune?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by burdoogo
So, I'm thinking about trading in my Q5 for an S4, and I have an appointment on Sunday to get the car appraised. My question is...do you guys think the dealer will be able to detect my tune?
i heard they can find out even if you used a Vag Com. But they hardly plug anything into the ECU.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by burdoogo
You raise an interesting point. If you have been "TD1'd", what happens to the powertrain warranty? My understanding is that whenever a car is brought in for service or repair, it is now being connected to the Audi mothership. Even if you haven't yet been flagged, what happens when the new owner does get identifed as having a tuned car? I very much doubt that the dealer will hook-up your car during the appraisal and if it has already been flagged, they will bring it up during the negotiations. But this also makes me wonder about the effects of TD1 on trade-in value.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
You raise an interesting point. If you have been "TD1'd", what happens to the powertrain warranty? My understanding is that whenever a car is brought in for service or repair, it is now being connected to the Audi mothership. Even if you haven't yet been flagged, what happens when the new owner does get identifed as having a tuned car? I very much doubt that the dealer will hook-up your car during the appraisal and if it has already been flagged, they will bring it up during the negotiations. But this also makes me wonder about the effects of TD1 on trade-in value.
They will likely only check Car Facts so If thats still clear you should be fine.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
+1

During the appraisal phase the used car sales manager will look at the CarFax and conduct a road test. I wonder if they will also connect it to their system to detect ECU tunes. Uncharted territory since the recent letter from AoA.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They might figure it out. But if they want to make an issue of it then just tell them that you can take your Q5 to CarMax instead. It would probably behoove you to get a quote from CarMax anyway. That way you'll have something with which to compare the dealer's appraisal.
IIRC, CarMax will give a quote while you wait and if you own the car outright(and have the title in hand) they will stroke you a check on the spot. If not, then they will take care of the pay-off and mail you a check for the difference.
It's very easy and they usually offer more than a dealer will allow in trade.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NHman
+1

During the appraisal phase the used car sales manager will look at the CarFax and conduct a road test. I wonder if they will also connect it to their system to detect ECU tunes. Uncharted territory since the recent letter from AoA.
Carfax does not show any tune whatsoever. They will not check the ECU for any tunes upon appraisal at all. all they do is a test drive and physical check up. If any bolt on parts that a left on the car they hardly know until the next owner find outs.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A quick test drive (which is part of any appraisal) will indicate a tuned car if at an audi dealer that is familiar with similar cars...

( I can certainly tell whether the tune is in or not in the wife's !)

but others probably would not notice...
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
Carfax does not show any tune whatsoever. They will not check the ECU for any tunes upon appraisal at all. all they do is a test drive and physical check up. If any bolt on parts that a left on the car they hardly know until the next owner find outs.
I agree with that as CarFax would only should accidents, service records through the dealer and ownership history. I did proof-read my post but I should've added that it is customary for the Used Car Manager to look at C.F. and conduct a road test which may not reveal a ECU tune. However I wonder with Audi's new policy associated with the TD1 flag if the dealer will connect a potential trade-in to their system. Otherwise they are on the hook for the reflash or selling a car without a factory warranty.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Should I bring the car into CarMax first? Also, I have the port switcher from REVO, so I was planning on switching it back to stock before the appraisal.

Quick Reply: Question about tune