Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quick, Ag on Black or Meteor on Black?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick, Ag on Black or Meteor on Black?

Ice Silver on Black or Meteor Gray on Black? This is on a 2.0 PP

People seem really mixed on Meteor. Love it or hate it type thing, but of any color I've ever seen, I can't seem to get a read on it from photos. The pictures on the Q5 homepage look absolutely nothing like any of the "real" pictures I've seen on the many threads about Meteor on Audi Forums.

Silver is a known entity, and my current E46 is TiAg on black, which I've loved, but is indeed very popular (for good reason, I think). I've always liked dark gray cars, but usually on a very aggressive looking vehicle. Think E46 M3, S5, R8, etc.

On the most part, I would say Audi's traditional designs are a little on the bland side, including the current S4, and the Q5. Classy looking vehicles, but even the S4 is not as aggressive as some of the vehicles in its class, nor is the Q5 without S-Line.

So, I'm wondering if Gray tones down an aggressive vehicle (which can look very good, especially with an aggressive interior color like two-tone black/red or something). In the case of the Q5, I'm probably looking for the opposite, to make it more aggressive. Could have gone with the 3.2 to get the aggressive front bumper, but like the 2.0 engine better.

Hmm, decisions decisions.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same dilemma, and went for the Meteor Grey. Don't compare your BMW's Titanium Silver to Audi's Silver- Audi is far less sparkling and almost a milky white in comparison. I usually have color envy when buying cars, but I don't with the Meteor Grey. It even holds up dirty pretty well.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Cosmosblau.
Last week I saw dark blue first time - looks very good.
Meteor Grey is our first choice also.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

IMO the Ice Silver looks a bit too light on this vehicle. I'm not sure I agree with you that the darker the colour tones down the visual aggressiveness, though I have the S line to help. When looking at the grey options, the darker tones seemed better to me and made the vehicle seem smaller than the lighter colours did (which I thought was a good thing). The Meteor Grey is good but it has a lot of blue in it, so I went with Lava Gray. I heard that this is a special order item in the U.S. so it might be too steep an add-on, but boy it looks good.

FYI, my understanding is that you can order the main S line exterior elements (grill, bumper, etc.) through Audi and have them dealer installed.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cprg2011
FYI, my understanding is that you can order the main S line exterior elements (grill, bumper, etc.) through Audi and have them dealer installed.
This is the plan, but slowly. I have the E46 M3 steering wheel on my non-M E46, and it's been the biggest change I've ever experienced in a vehicle. That is, you get both looks (it looks great), but more importantly, and absolutely fantastic feel every time you grip it. 10000x better than the stock 3 series wheel.

So, first will probably be the S-Line wheel, followed by the front bumper. I'm not too worried about the back actually, would maybe do some different side skirts after that...
Old 04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver for us. Traded in a Dolphin Gray A4 and the wife had her heart set on silver. I agree it's not as aggressive as the darker colors, but to me, there is a simple elegance to it. Interior is platinum so we really went light, but it somehow works. Another narcissistic reason we got silver was because they were (and still are) non-existent here in MA. Most Q5s I've seen are black, followed by blue, white, and gray.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawke94
Silver for us. Traded in a Dolphin Gray A4 and the wife had her heart set on silver. I agree it's not as aggressive as the darker colors, but to me, there is a simple elegance to it. Interior is platinum so we really went light, but it somehow works. Another narcissistic reason we got silver was because they were (and still are) non-existent here in MA. Most Q5s I've seen are black, followed by blue, white, and gray.
I'd love to see some pics of the inside and outside, it certainly sounds elegant!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reisen, check out the Q5 spreadsheet for pics. Go to random stats page for number totals of each (data gathered as posted on the forum). meteor and Deep Sea Blue very much on par after Black, white and Quartz.
Deep sea blue and meteor Grey are very "executive" in person.. classy perhaps for want of a better word.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 04-28-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Reisen, check out the Q5 spreadsheet for pics. Go to random stats page for number totals of each (data gathered as posted on the forum). meteor and Deep Sea Blue very much on par after Black, white and Quartz.
Deep sea blue and meteor Grey are very "executive" in person.. classy perhaps for want of a better word.
JFF, I hate to sound ignorant here, but where can I find the Q5 spreadsheet. I know I've seen it before, and it has a ton of info, but I can't find it anymore.

Thx.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BeachRat
JFF, I hate to sound ignorant here, but where can I find the Q5 spreadsheet. I know I've seen it before, and it has a ton of info, but I can't find it anymore.
It's that "Link to Q5 Spreadsheet" link at the bottom of his post.

Quick Reply: Quick, Ag on Black or Meteor on Black?