Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Radiator burst.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator burst.

Let me relief my frustration ......yesterday on my NEW Q5 with 5050 miles on it, just burst its radiator on my way home.
I just picked it up from 5k service on Friday....
Audi service is a joke.....( very disappointed) they wanted to tow my Q5 to the nearest dealer ( I am in Bronx,NY )which is Classic Audi ( about 10 miles away ) On the phone w/ service people this dealer did not want to provide me w/ a loaner car, neither offer me help w/ a rental cos' I DID NOT PURCHASE MY Q5 FROM THEM !!!
So I call back Audi road side Assis. and ask them to take my car to Pallisade Audi (about 25 miles ,just 10 more miles north) which they promise to arrange something for me ( appreciated) cos' again ....I DID PURCHASE MY CAR FROM THEM!!!!. So , Audi R.A.says NO that they only going to cover towing to the nearest Audi dealer. any excess of miles will be on ME !!?? JUST 10-15 MORE MILES .
This is my only way of commute I think Audi should step up and offer me at least a rental ( free of course) for this issue on a brand new truck of $45.000 with 5000 miles on it.
Truth in Engineering ??? PROVE IT.
**** happens....but Audi needs to improve on Costumer Service. I really expected more from them.
L0ng story short..........I should stay w/ Acura or Lexus.. Like Metallica says SAD..BUT TRUE.
Any comments fellow Q5 drivers ....appreciated.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

dkaudiq7

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had my Audi tow to my purchase dealer a few months ago and I didnt even ask Audi road side assist for permission, and I never got a bill from them. Maybe you should have just tow it there and ask questions later.
Maybe Classic Audi just did not have any more loaners available. I bet Pallisade Audi would have given you a sales demo instead of a service loaner since most of the time, loaners are by appointments only. I had owned Lexus and Acuras in the pass and had the same issue about getting loaners without an appointment.
In my opinion, Audi customer service is not as good as Lexus, but then who is. Acura's customer service is about the same as Audi, but Audi generally do not break down as often as Audi, then again, Acura are not built as well as an Audi and doesnt have the same driving dynamics.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-09-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry about your misfortunes. Bummer with the radiator; but I have said it before and I will say it again; it's not the only the problem, it's how a problem is handled that can make all the difference in the world. Very shaortsighted of the dealer.

Bob
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, this is not so uncommon for anyone that has had a catastrophic event like yours...there may be NO available loaners. My dealer always makes a loaner available for [scheduled] appointments. They are a relatively small dealership and have 4 Audi loaners and 10 Toyotas. When they're gone, they're gone! Providing a loaner is completely up to the servicing dealer and as far as I know, has nothing to do with Audi of America. You are not entitled to anything and a servicing dealer that provides loaners to their customers is merely looking out for the people that purchased from them. Nothing wrong with that. I'd be more concerned about the(your) car and if you can get a loaner by paying a little bit to have you car towed an additional 10-15 miles...well, that's a no-brainer. I never have been able to figure out why some owners figure that if they spend $XXXXX.XX on a new car that they are somehow entitled to a loaner(and some think a loaner equal to or better than what they have) any time they're having service...scheduled or not. That's just not a reasonable expectation, IMO.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 02-09-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
dkaudiq7

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had my Audi tow to my purchase dealer a few months ago and I didnt even ask Audi road side assist for permission, and I never got a bill from them. Maybe you should have just tow it there and ask questions later.
Maybe Classic Audi just did not have any more loaners available. I bet Pallisade Audi would have given you a sales demo instead of a service loaner since most of the time, loaners are by appointments only. I had owned Lexus and Acuras in the pass and had the same issue about getting loaners without an appointment.
In my opinion, Audi customer service is not as good as Lexus, but then who is. Acura's customer service is about the same as Audi, but Audi generally do not break down as often as Audi, then again, Acura are not built as well as an Audi and doesnt have the same driving dynamics.
I leased my '06 A4 and am currently leasing my '08 A4 from Classic. I have not had any negative service issues with them at all, but I never have requested a loaner car. One of the main reasons I leased from Classic is that their service facility is one block from the commuter railroad station I take. So, when I drop the car off I take the train into Manhattan as I normally would, hence no need for a loaner. Since the OP lives in the Bronx and is potentially in Classic's universe of customers, they may be saying "bring it back where you bought it, since you live near enough to have bought it from us and chose not to." That may be a petty view but I would kind of understand. I see consumers go an hour out of the way to save a few dollars on an appliance, then try to return it to the store around the corner when it has a problem. I feel that when you make a purchase you should consider all the factors; bottom line price may not be the intelligent way to go at all times.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkaudiq7
So I call back Audi road side Assis. and ask them to take my car to Pallisade Audi (about 25 miles ,just 10 more miles north) which they promise to arrange something for me ( appreciated) cos' again ....I DID PURCHASE MY CAR FROM THEM!!!!. So , Audi R.A.says NO that they only going to cover towing to the nearest Audi dealer. any excess of miles will be on ME !!?? JUST 10-15 MORE MILES .
I had MB tell me the same thing. They wanted to take it to the nearest dealer which was were I bought it and had previously had such poor service. I said no way in hell so they gave me the same speech about how I'd have to pay the difference (it was towed another 15 miles). Needless to say I never saw a bill from them. The best part though was I had used the service in the car that's the same as on-star (can't recall what it's called at the mo) to get a tow truck. They said they couldn't send one unless I got them a call back number (didn't have a cell at the time). What the heck is the point of having that service if I need a freaking phone? It's not like they don't know where my car is to tow it.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hmn4858
The best part though was I had used the service in the car that's the same as on-star (can't recall what it's called at the mo) to get a tow truck. They said they couldn't send one unless I got them a call back number (didn't have a cell at the time). What the heck is the point of having that service if I need a freaking phone? It's not like they don't know where my car is to tow it.
That is so retarded
Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update : Just picked up my Q5 . problem was a faulty water pump which was replace . luckly I stop the car on time w/ no damage to the engine,because the car lost all radiator fluid. Hopefully is just bad luck and is not a part problem.
To all out there, attention to the dashboard , if a temperature light is blinking make sure you STOP .
PS : don't just go by the temperature gauge on the left side. yesterday when my light (temp.) was blinking, the temp. gauge was still in the middle (normal temp)
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To date its the most common problem with Q5 at 6 reports.
2nd at 5 reports currently is DRL fail (usually right side) due to control module.

The most common complaint is probably the transmission shunt 2nd to 1st when new, but only 1 we could call a fail.

Glad to report these issues are very rare and not occuring in recent production.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I leased my '06 A4 and am currently leasing my '08 A4 from Classic. I have not had any negative service issues with them at all, but I never have requested a loaner car. One of the main reasons I leased from Classic is that their service facility is one block from the commuter railroad station I take. So, when I drop the car off I take the train into Manhattan as I normally would, hence no need for a loaner. Since the OP lives in the Bronx and is potentially in Classic's universe of customers, they may be saying "bring it back where you bought it, since you live near enough to have bought it from us and chose not to." That may be a petty view but I would kind of understand. I see consumers go an hour out of the way to save a few dollars on an appliance, then try to return it to the store around the corner when it has a problem. I feel that when you make a purchase you should consider all the factors; bottom line price may not be the intelligent way to go at all times.
Any Audi dealer should have taken care of the original poster's problem regardless of where it was purchased. As for the loaner , even if they did not have one, certainly they could have arranged one through Enterprise or similar. What if the OP had just moved to the area from some far off state? Would he be expected to have his car serviced where he bought it? Of course not. The dealer is compensated by the factory for warranty work. Dealers who threaten owners with poor service if they do not purchase the car from them should be disciplined by Audi. All Audi dealers represent the Brand and because of this should bend over backwards to treat Audi customers well.

Quick Reply: Radiator burst.