Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Re: Rear entertainment system in Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear entertainment system in Q5

Hi,
I just bought my Q5 a little over 2 months ago. Yesterday I had the Invision SL Series rear entertainment syetm installed in the headrests. I do like the actual system, however, the headrests they used are massive and they do not quiet match the texture of the seats. The color is ok. I asked a lot of questions from the Audi dealer and he reassured me that they would match perfectly and would fit "perfectly". They told me they simply replace the headrests with those of a Q5 that have the dvd system already custom installed. So my impression was that it would be the same headrests. When I had it installed, I asked them about why they are this way and they told me that simply that is how they come. The Q7 system looks very nice and have the same headrests I believe. They told me the reason for them to be so big is because of the required extra padding by the Department of Transportation. Has anyone had this issue? What do you guys recommend I do? They just look out of place in my Q5. They did offer to remove them at refund my money, though they asked if they can further look into this. Please help!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Audi does not offer a factory option for rear entertainment, so whatever you get through the dealer will be aftermarket. I was in the same boat as you and passed on the dealer options because they could not match my Cinnamon Brown interior. I ended up going with the Rosen AV7500 system and got it installed at a local car audio shop. They are a near-perfect match for color and texture with my seats. Only thing is they are slighter bigger than OEM to accommodate the screen size, but it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. The Rosens were the only model I could find that came in the Cinnamon Brown at the time (just over a year ago). It was costlier than most too, but well worth it I think for that factory look. I can post some pics later if you want.

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/av-ad0123.aspx
Old 03-22-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I paid $2600 for mine w/ install. If you can post what it actually looks like in the car, that would be great.

Originally Posted by BigBluu
Audi does not offer a factory option for rear entertainment, so whatever you get through the dealer will be aftermarket. I was in the same boat as you and passed on the dealer options because they could not match my Cinnamon Brown interior. I ended up going with the Rosen AV7500 system and got it installed at a local car audio shop. They are a near-perfect match for color and texture with my seats. Only thing is they are slighter bigger than OEM to accommodate the screen size, but it hasn't bothered me as much as I thought it would. The Rosens were the only model I could find that came in the Cinnamon Brown at the time (just over a year ago). It was costlier than most too, but well worth it I think for that factory look. I can post some pics later if you want.

http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/av-ad0123.aspx
Old 03-23-2011, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow! I thought I paid a lot for mine at $1700 installed. And Rosen offers new car warranty matching if you get it installed at an authorized installer within 1 month of your vehicle's delivery date. I'll try to get you some pics tonite.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same system as you SilverAudi. Mine was $2400 installed + tax. The head rests are bigger and do offer a lot of padding. You will get use to the size of the rests. Do yourself a favor and go to the invision website and register your headrests. The serial numbers are behind the fold down screen.

Also I have found that no matter how hard I try, the USB stick method of playing a video just doesn't work. We resorted to using an iPod with a video connector from the apple store. Works a charm! If your kids are very young and can't wear the headphones, check out the Jambox by Jawbone. It's a wireless Blue Tooth speaker that will work with Bluetooth ipods and works a charm.

In the end I love our invisions. They work well and are generally not all that noticible. If you want to adjust the angle of the headrest to make it more comfortable for your head, click it forward all the way and it will then be able to fully angle back. From there you can go one click at a time until you find the correct placement for your own safety.

Last edited by GenSpec; 03-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

sorry...kept forgetting the pics, but here they are finally. the headrests and screens are both tilt adjustable, independent of each other.
Attached Images    
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigBluu
sorry...kept forgetting the pics, but here they are finally. the headrests and screens are both tilt adjustable, independent of each other.
looks great!!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks a lot better than Audi's Optional Entertainment system
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would not accept those. Texture is off and they are...well..HUGE.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mp906
I would not accept those. Texture is off and they are...well..HUGE.
bigbluu ... did the installers use the original headrests or are these completely new/separate?
if they are separate can you hold one of the originals side by side to the new one to compare the actual larger size?

the larger size is understandable to maintain all the wiring for the screens functionality AND for your front comfort but just how much bigger are they really?

Quick Reply: Re: Rear entertainment system in Q5