Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear ended in LA...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended in LA...

Drove from Tahoe to San Diego this last Wednesday to attend our niece's graduation, and then on Friday, we're here in East LA to see my mother, and crash. We were stopped on a residential street due to congestion, and a pick-up truck driver is playing with his cell and rear ends us.

Being a high crime area (LA is basically sewer, and I can say that having grown up here), the police were finishing up a robbery down the street, and came to our assistance.

The driver 'no hablamos Englesia'. I saw this crash coming (in the rear view), and we were ready for impact. No damage to us, but the rear hatch and and all lower fascia rear of the wheel wells is messed up. Even the exhaust is system is damaged and kinked.

Driver did have insurance, which I contacted, and the first warning I get is that he only has a $10k liability policy. So this means if this is maxed out, I have to file a claim on my own policy for the difference, minus a deductable.

I'm 500 miles from home, and need to get back to Tahoe by Sunday, and the insurance guy says any rental charges WON'T be reimbursed if the $10k is burned up.

The wife's Q5 is going to McKenna Audi (in Norwalk) where I hope it is restored correctly. Looks like I'll be flying down in a month to pick it up. I hate LA.

The Q5 doesn't look so bad since all the plastic simply gets pushed around, but the hatch is messed up, and all the internal mounts for the rear bumper are shattered.

If I had been here in my Range Rover, I'd be going ballistic. However, I didn't want to get car-jacked, and its 5.0 Jaguar engine is lousy on gas.
Attached Images   
Old 06-11-2011, 06:29 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I share your pain . . . have had to deal with that with my A4 a few years ago just a few weeks into ownership. Nauseating, sickly feeling comes to mind.
Glad both of you are not hurt! Hope your Q5 will be as good as new when repaired.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 213 Likes on 174 Posts

Hard to know but I would guess and hope it's under $10K. Be advised you will in most cases need to hire an attorney and sue to access the uninsured/underinsured part of your insurance if past the $10K.
I feel your pain, Good Luck.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad no one was injured. I too have gone through the same sort of incident. Last year I had a guy try and cut in front of me on a two lane to one construction merge and he screwed up the drivers side front end of my car. Winds up leaving the scene and then comes back 30 mins later while the cops are finishing up with me, this was in Manhattan, NYC. Felt like the guy was ditching a gun, drugs or something else equally illegal. He never even got written up for leaving the scene of an accident, incredible!

I think the damage SHOULD be under $10k but ya never know, I feel your pain too. I agree with you, L.A. sucks, big time.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
Glad no one was injured.
I think the damage SHOULD be under $10k but ya never know, I feel your pain too. I agree with you, L.A. sucks, big time.
+1! Agree with tridentnyc.
I hate this drivers that on the phone or texting - and I see this MF's every day. What is more **** me off, that my wife get a ticket, for just open her RAZR, not even speaking - just opened. $23 ticket end up cost us $96 after all. WTF!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good to hear you are ok.

Similar situation but seems it didn't go as far in as yours...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2806704

Cost about 8k so prepare to talk to attorney as 10k is not far.

Last edited by kleinbus; 06-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You might want to post on the LA forums to see if there is a recommendation for a body shop to use.

Sorry for your lost. When I was in the Bay Area - several friends were rear ended and the people bailed out of the cars
Old 06-11-2011, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Reggie
You might want to post on the LA forums to see if there is a recommendation for a body shop to use.

Sorry for your lost. When I was in the Bay Area - several friends were rear ended and the people bailed out of the cars
+1! I can recommended grate shop, that unfortunately get to know in march - really liked what they done to my rear bumper.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ugh...just wanted to say sorry. What a total PITA!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got rear-ended in San Diego 4 years ago, by a guy from TJ...and he didn't have any insurance.

It was only $400 bucks worth of damage, so there was no point making a claim because our deductible was $500. The cops wouldn't come because it was a non-injury fender bender...so there was literally nothing we could do, we just had to suck it up....which sucked! :c

Sorry to hear about your Q, how frustrating, but better that it gets injured rather than you and your passengers!

Quick Reply: Rear ended in LA...