Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear ended in LA...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

We made it home. One-way rental car from Hertz was $218. The Hertz guys gave me a Cadillac DTS, with a full tank, but put 1/8th fuel on the paperwork, so I saved about $50 not having to do a final top-off.

When I was talking with the McKenna Audi's people (really called European Certified Collision), they also voiced some concerns with Infiniti. They mentioned that Infiniti also insists on "used" parts when required for replacement parts. Recommended that I eat the $500 deductible on my policy, and let my insurance company fight (subrogate) Infiniti for the repairs.

Means I eat $500, the rental car ($218), fuel used by the Caddy ($120), flying back to LA for the Q5 ($180 SWA), and my time. Kind of an expensive graduation weekend.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AWF Axis
Thanks for the responses.

We made it home. One-way rental car from Hertz was $218. The Hertz guys gave me a Cadillac DTS, with a full tank, but put 1/8th fuel on the paperwork, so I saved about $50 not having to do a final top-off.

When I was talking with the McKenna Audi's people (really called European Certified Collision), they also voiced some concerns with Infiniti. They mentioned that Infiniti also insists on "used" parts when required for replacement parts. Recommended that I eat the $500 deductible on my policy, and let my insurance company fight (subrogate) Infiniti for the repairs.

Means I eat $500, the rental car ($218), fuel used by the Caddy ($120), flying back to LA for the Q5 ($180 SWA), and my time. Kind of an expensive graduation weekend.
I am not a attorney, but I think it's against CA law to install "used" parts with out let customer agreed on this. I understand - it's hard for you for out of state repair. Call Infinity and ask. Remember - you in US - not in Russia - you have a RIGHTS!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, if you think all of LA is a sewer, you grew up in the wrong part of LA. Sorry, but born and raised here and while some of LA might be considered a "sewer", I have never lived in one. Good luck with the car.

p.s. Looking at the police car, it's not even LAPD. So where exactly were you?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably just me, but the title of this thread brought a totally different image

Sorry to see the damage to your Q. Don't worry, it can be fixed.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

?'s...
1) Infinity - is that your insurance company??
2) did the police issue the other driver a ticket for being on HIS phone? as that is illegal in CA right?(Maria Schriver can attest to that one a few months ago)

Last edited by loscoz; 06-13-2011 at 04:30 AM. Reason: type-o
Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be fair, not all of LA is a sewer. I grew up in East LA, or Bell/Cudahy to be specific. The police car is a Bell Gardens unit. This incident occured on Clara St, near Eastern Ave. My mom still lives in Cudahy.

40 yrs ago when I was growing up here, it used to be a different landscape. I wife and I met there 30 yrs ago (we were 15), and we both barely survived the hood (my wife has had her house shot up, as her family was one of the few whites living on their street). I've been pummeled many times because I refused to get involved with the 18th Street gangs (I'm half Japanese, but look hispanic). It's a long list of things. We moved to the mountains after the Rodney King riots. Even though we lived in Downey at the time, the smoke from the fires blew over our house for days.

There are nice areas if you have money, but having been a LASD deputy in my earlier years, you see the crap under the facade. I'm long gone from that career, and do admit it twists your view on things.

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, if I offended anyone.
absolutely not!
like I state before, if you have friend or friends friend in the business - ask them, if Infinity legally install not OEM parts with out your permission.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Probably just me, but the title of this thread brought a totally different image

Sorry to see the damage to your Q. Don't worry, it can be fixed.
given your avatar - I wonder why ?!?!?!

Bummer on the Bum buster !!! Momma would be crying if that happened to her new one...

Totally agree you have the right of first refusal on the repairs.... had it happen to me once...and State Farm gave back my deductible once they collected from the other guy's insurance... (FYI, most of your expenses can probably be claimed as well...save all receipts - I had bad diesel in my Excursion and got repairs, towing, rental, etc... even the fuel paid back...)

re your sewer comment - the truth is sometimes not seen by some
Human nature to try to forget the bad stuff,
but when you see the bad stuff EVERY day, you ASSume it will continue...

if poop flows down the street, it won't change direction by itself
Old 06-13-2011, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hypothetically speaking this is why RF phone jammers were built. It is a riot to see people banging their phones because hypothetically speaking they don't work within 150 ft of my vehicle.

PS if you can don't forget to get diminished value return. This is the off set value that your car will lose as it has been in an accident.

This means that when you go to trade it in, or sell it they will say your car has been in an accident and immediately reduce the value. DVR covers that cost.

Last edited by Evlengr; 06-14-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Evlengr
... This means that when you go to trade it in, or sell it they will say your car has been in an accident and immediately reduce the value. DVR covers that cost...
Who is 'they'?
And don't bother with saying Carfax ... we've had 2 previous cars, both involved in different accidents and Carfax showed NOTHING of said accidents. Both went through the insurance co (we have State Farm) and were repaired by authorized dealer/insurance auto shops not some Johnny's back yard shop.

Quick Reply: Rear ended in LA...