Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear ended in LA...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loscoz
Who is 'they'?
And don't bother with saying Carfax ... we've had 2 previous cars, both involved in different accidents and Carfax showed NOTHING of said accidents. Both went through the insurance co (we have State Farm) and were repaired by authorized dealer/insurance auto shops not some Johnny's back yard shop.
I suppose they could be you if your honest about it when asked.

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that he has a pretty nice vehicle and such crappy insurance? I've never been able to finance a vehicle without C&C. I would think you could sue him in small claims court for whatever is left over. Whole situation really sucks though.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This morning driving 101 South - on my Left side black Panamera, on my right side white S5 conv, follow by A6, next entrance blake S4 get in front S4. I was thinking - only in LA. Few exit later saw this S4 rear ended by BMW 3.
Only in LA.....
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
This morning driving 101 South - on my Left side black Panamera, on my right side white S5 conv, follow by A6, next entrance blake S4 get in front S4. I was thinking - only in LA. Few exit later saw this S4 rear ended by BMW 3.
Only in LA.....
I have driven in a lot of places/countries...and LA is by far the place I dread driving in the most! Thank goodness I only have to do so a few times each year....clutching my sweaty hands tightly on the steering wheel!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
I have driven in a lot of places/countries...and LA is by far the place I dread driving in the most! Thank goodness I only have to do so a few times each year....clutching my sweaty hands tightly on the steering wheel!
You know, before my ED, I read every post about driving in Italy and everyone state - don't go - italian drivers is crazy one. After driving in Germany and Swiss with their amazing driver culture - when I finally get to Italy and drive there - I fill like I at home in LA again. No rules, white line - just a suggestion.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

More info now that I've talked with my insurance co.

I have Mercury, not Infinity. Infinity is not exactly on everyone's recomended list, but I've not done battle yet. We are well insured with Mercury, with the "replace with new" option if our car is totalled.

My insurance company has already seen the car, and is going to waive my $500 deductable since I'm not at fault. They will submit and add to the claim (for subrogation) all my rental charges and expenses, including airfare to reclaim the vehicle.

The initial repair estimate (from Mercury) is $5000k. This is without knowing if any frame or other issues exist. This cannot be determined until the plastic is peeled away. Est: Full replacement of rear hatch, bumper, spoiler, lower tail-lights, exhaust system and paint.

Although I've talked with the adjuster from Infinity, they have not scheduled a visit to see the car. I have to wait for this to happen before the repair center can check for more damage.

My wife and I have been with Mercury since we were married 30 years ago, and they have never let us down. We've had our share of claims, especially when our daughters started driving 14 yrs ago.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OP, I’m glad everything is sorted out. It’s definitely heavy on the pocket but at least you and yours are safe. I know what you mean about being happy with your insurer; I have full auto insurance coverage with AARP-The Hartford and it has never let me down in terms of rates and services. Like you, it’s seen me through some nasty claims and a houseful of teenage drivers.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

You know, before my ED, I read every post about driving in Italy and everyone state - don't go - italian drivers is crazy one. After driving in Germany and Swiss with their amazing driver culture - when I finally get to Italy and drive there - I fill like I at home in LA again. No rules, white line - just a suggestion.
I just spent the last week in Rome, and the highways seemed pretty decent...but our hotel was in Central Rome, and the traffic/driving in the city was CRAZY! We made a game if trying to find a car without dings/scratches, and couldn't find any!

We only saw 2 Q5's and 3 Q7's...all with blemishes and super dirty! Very sad...

However, a highlight was seeing a glowing white Lamborghini cruising down Cavour St.

There were thousands of the Fiat 500's...which I love, because they look like antique toasters!

We got back to Germany, and the driving seemed so mellow! Oh man! We are going to have a hard time getting used to driving back in the States after 2 years of Europe-style driving!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So, exactly 4 weeks from the day I dropped it off, European Certified Collision (McKenna Audi) returned our Q5.

I flew down from Lake Tahoe last Thursday to LAX, and picked it up Friday (7/08). Drove back Friday night. 530 miles later, its covered in bugs.

Total bill was $9k and change. Took the dealer half a day to recalibrate the camera and sensors, so I had to wait until the end of the day. Was told it would be ready Friday morning, but pick up was at 4:00pm.

When I got it home, found that the spoiler under the bumper was loose. They forgot to tighten two torx bolts between the mufflers.

Otherwise, its great. They repainted the bumper and spoiler separately, so I don't have the same "skinning" issue that we had on the first rear end repair when my wife backed into a loaded snow-bank.

I've got $800 in out-of-pocket expenses ($600 car rentals, $200 airline) that I hope gets reimbursed. I was told that airline tickets are not common expenses.

We will see.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.... No rules, white line - just a suggestion.
TeeHee - that made me chuckle as when I was in Iran way back when, I think they believed the white line was so you could line up readying for your crash better !

re your expenses... feel pretty sure you can get that reimbursed....
if anything - give to YOUR insurance company and let them fight it....

good luck !

what a bother, right ?!?