Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear lid ghost operation

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear lid ghost operation

On three occasions now, the rear lid has mysteriously opened while the Q was parked in my driveway or garage. Unfortunately, not realizing it I opened the garage door and it put a couple of scratches on the lid . Trying to do the best I can with touch up kit.

I think I have finally figured out what it causing it. I keep my keys in my front pocket and apparently activated the button leaning up against the sink counter (yes, for more than 2 seconds).

Since I have been hanging the keys on a hook, it hasn't happened, so I'm pretty sure that was the cause.

Just wanted to pass in a word of caution so no one else winds up with a scratched lid on their new Q - I'm pretty numbed about it.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the Tip

I feel your pain. I had the volume turned up on our then 6-week old Avalon's JBL 6-CD in-dash system and did not realize that the garage door had only gone partway up, backing into it as I was trying to leave. The door suffered more than the car, but I still have a dimple and a gouge as a reminder. That was almost 9years ago.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, just this evening I said why did someone leave all the windows open on my Q7. Wife and daughter relpied together. You did! While you were working in your garage the lights flashed and all windows went down (EU version hold on unlock, VAGable US).
Old 06-03-2011, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=Jusforfun;24152423]LOL, just this evening I said why did someone leave all the windows open on my Q7. Wife and daughter relpied together. You did! While you were working in your garage the lights flashed and all windows went down (EU version hold on unlock, VAGable US).[/

I was fumbling around at the gas station with multiple things clutched tightly in my hand, and managed to set off the alarm....but it took me a few to realize that it was actually the Panic button I was inadvertently pressing!

I had a good chuckle at my own expense!
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stillgoing
On three occasions now, the rear lid has mysteriously opened while the Q was parked in my driveway or garage. Unfortunately, not realizing it I opened the garage door and it put a couple of scratches on the lid . Trying to do the best I can with touch up kit.

I think I have finally figured out what it causing it. I keep my keys in my front pocket and apparently activated the button leaning up against the sink counter (yes, for more than 2 seconds).
Uggh, I did the same thing, twice, while the Q5 was in my garage. Then, when we inadvertently opened the garage door, it caused a ruckus. A little reminder to me, but thankfully no major gouges...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did the same thing once in my garage and put a couple of scratches in it. Luckily I noticed the back was open before I hit the garage door opener.

Worst was I was sleeping in a hospital waiting room, got up, looked out the window at my car and the back was wide open. Was more than 50 yards from the car when that happened. Luckily it was very late and not many people at the hospital. Nothing was missing.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jtie
... Worst was I was sleeping in a hospital waiting room, got up, looked out the window at my car and the back was wide open. Was more than 50 yards from the car when that happened. ...
YIKERS!!
In this case are you sure the rear is completely & properly locking/ catching at closure?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes it was completely closed beforehand. I was looking out the window quite often because I didn't have anything else to do. Just had been laying on my side with my keys in my pocket for a while.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think I am king Doofus

Not with the Q, but with my large car... it only fits in our third garage where I can go straight in and it's tall enough that I don't SEE the rear hatch unless I look for it....

Yep... left the hatch open when I closed the garage and as the door came down it pushed the hatch down enough so the garage door closed all the way, but was perplexed when I opened it the next day and it jammed.....

Minor problem and damage, except... that's the only door into that garage !
Had to cut a hole in the top panel of the door to release the door and push the hatch down...

A new door panel and paint for the garage and touch up on the rear hatch...

Wow
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's amzing we're not seeing more cars with 4 or 5 doors opening and closing without the owner around. Ain't technology great?!!

Quick Reply: Rear lid ghost operation