Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear sway bar

Having moved from an A3 sport to the Q5 I am a little sad with the handling. I know its a SUV not a 4 door TT but still...
Swapping out the OE touring tires (235/60-18) for some Performance V rated tires (255/55-18) has improved the steering load up but there is still more roll than I would like.
The only manufacturer that has a rear bar listed for the Q5 is UltraRacing and there are non to be had in the US.
Does anyone know if the OE rear bar is hollow and if it is 23 or 24mm???

Anyone tried different end-links?

I am aware that H&R has the sport springs and adding a set of Bilstein's would stiffen things up, but that wont reduce the roll all that much and I dont really want to drop down 1.5".

Looking for thoughts on how to proceed
Old 04-15-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wchp
Having moved from an A3 sport to the Q5 I am a little sad with the handling. I know its a SUV not a 4 door TT but still...
Swapping out the OE touring tires (235/60-18) for some Performance V rated tires (255/55-18) has improved the steering load up but there is still more roll than I would like.
The only manufacturer that has a rear bar listed for the Q5 is UltraRacing and there are non to be had in the US.
Does anyone know if the OE rear bar is hollow and if it is 23 or 24mm???

Anyone tried different end-links?

I am aware that H&R has the sport springs and adding a set of Bilstein's would stiffen things up, but that wont reduce the roll all that much and I dont really want to drop down 1.5".

Looking for thoughts on how to proceed
Maybe you should have bought a Porsche Cayenne or a BMW X5M if you wanted more performance. You may want to go to 20" rims for more steering feel as well.

My thought to proceed is to have gone with a different vehicle, especially since the Audi is nose heavy and feel nose heavy and is prone to understeer.

I would call an A3 very sporty either. It's not bad at all but it definitely aint sporty!

Just my .02
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default want a practical balance

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Maybe you should have bought a Porsche Cayenne or a BMW X5M if you wanted more performance. You may want to go to 20" rims for more steering feel as well.

My thought to proceed is to have gone with a different vehicle, especially since the Audi is nose heavy and feel nose heavy and is prone to understeer.

I would call an A3 very sporty either. It's not bad at all but it definitely aint sporty!

Just my .02
The addition of the H&R rear sway-bar, 45 series summer rubber, APR tune and the OE European springs and strut rates on the A3 sport yielded a fairly neutral ride. Would drift evenly when breaking loose. 268HP under foot.

Thinking that adding just a stiffer rear bar and bumping up the pressure in the rear 1-2 PSI might balance the Q5 out a little bit. I would like to gain an incremental improvement. Didn't want to spend the extra 20-30K the other vehicles would have set me back. Spending ~$250 on a rear bar and $600 on APR should net me a enjoyable and $ friendly SUV.
Any other thoughts on how to work with what I have?
The following users liked this post:
ForearmsTwo (06-07-2022)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

PS
Didn't do 20" wheels to keep down unsprung weight and rotational mass. All choices are a trade off.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm looking to do the same exact thing. An additional or larger rear bar helps a lot without destroying the ride. A helpful response would be nice rather than "you should have bought a . . . . "
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing once the SQ5 is released we will be able to get our hands on some of the OEM suspension parts - including beefier sways.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ultra Racing does have a US division now, I think Thunderdent or someone else posted a phone number for them. I've seen them sell on ebay before too.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another member coming from an A3 who got a bunch of Ultra Racing bars:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2845493

I see a rear sway bar in his pictures along with some other goodies!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rkdiddy
I'm guessing once the SQ5 is released we will be able to get our hands on some of the OEM suspension parts - including beefier sways.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have seen some kits of springs/bars for the 2.0T. Would the 3.0T really be any different?

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar