Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reliability - Q5 vs. X3 vs. GLK vs. Evoque

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability - Q5 vs. X3 vs. GLK vs. Evoque

So after countless hours of research and test drives, I have made up my mind on buying one of the following 2013 vehicles:

Bmw X3 35i
Mercedes GLK
Range Rover Evoque
Audi Q5 3.0

All vehicles have everything I want. They all are great vehicles. I would be happy with either of them.

My BIG question is RELIABILITY. I will be keeping this vehicle 8-10 years. I would prefer not to purchase an extended warranty because i dont feel they are good value. So for all four vehicles, after 4 years I would be off warranty.

In your opinion, which vehicle do you think would be the most reliable? I have heard some horrid stories about Range Rover, but also seem to constantly read problems here for the x3s. I really don't want to spend $50-$60k and not have a long term reliable vehicle. I currently drive an Acura, so I am used to bulletproof build quality. I am just very scared that my four choices for my next SUV might be terrible for long term reliability. Thank you for your time.

Nick
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here are my experiences with the three other brands

Never had an X3, but did have an X5- lots of small nagging problems, the car was always in the shop, but it never left me stranded on the side of the road
Did not have an Evoque, but I had an older RR- when the car had about 70K it would not pass smog inspection, the dealer mechanic took me aside and told me I'd be best off to trade it in, I did
I had an ML, not a GLK- the ML was as solid as a rock, never had a problem, just not an exciting vehicle to drive
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by normp
Here are my experiences with the three other brands

Never had an X3, but did have an X5- lots of small nagging problems, the car was always in the shop, but it never left me stranded on the side of the road
Did not have an Evoque, but I had an older RR- when the car had about 70K it would not pass smog inspection, the dealer mechanic took me aside and told me I'd be best off to trade it in, I did
I had an ML, not a GLK- the ML was as solid as a rock, never had a problem, just not an exciting vehicle to drive
Funny, this prob sums up where I am at.

My first choice is the x3. It just makes you smile while driving it. But when I was test driving them we took out a 2011 and it died on us. I thought, wow, this thing is only 2 yrs old!

So at this time i think im leaning towards the GLK. Its a bit more boring, but still does and has everything i want, and i just get this sense that i will have less headaches over 10 years with it.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nickcdn
Funny, this prob sums up where I am at.

My first choice is the x3. It just makes you smile while driving it. But when I was test driving them we took out a 2011 and it died on us. I thought, wow, this thing is only 2 yrs old!

So at this time i think im leaning towards the GLK. Its a bit more boring, but still does and has everything i want, and i just get this sense that i will have less headaches over 10 years with it.
What about the Q5? Nothing was said about that.

I love my Q5 to the point that I could probably live in it. And I pretty much do - I do a lot of commuting and it is an incredibly comfortable car to go long distances in and has plenty of space for all my crap in the back.

Some of the main things I like about it - the cabin is noise proof: you can be barrelling along at 80 mile an hour and hear nothing but your breathing. The car gets noticed - even without my hood stripe the Q5 turns heads, especially with the S-Line package setting it apart from all the other grocery getters. Its reliable - I have NOT ONCE heard a stutter, difficulty, chug, or squeak out of my Q5. It's never in the shop for any reason other than oil changes and what-not covered under AudiCare. My favorite of all though is the AMI music interface - I could strap one of those to a bicycle and be happy, it's super easy to use with an ipod and even the stock sound system is great, don't bother with B&O unless you listen to a lot of rock, I'm more of a pop or dubstep guy.

Give the Q5 a shot, I promise you won't regret it.

-Alex

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
What about the Q5? Nothing was said about that.

I love my Q5 to the point that I could probably live in it. And I pretty much do - I do a lot of commuting and it is an incredibly comfortable car to go long distances in and has plenty of space for all my crap in the back.

Some of the main things I like about it - the cabin is noise proof: you can be barrelling along at 80 mile an hour and hear nothing but your breathing. The car gets noticed - even without my hood stripe the Q5 turns heads, especially with the S-Line package setting it apart from all the other grocery getters. Its reliable - I have NOT ONCE heard a stutter, difficulty, chug, or squeak out of my Q5. It's never in the shop for any reason other than oil changes and what-not covered under AudiCare. My favorite of all though is the AMI music interface - I could strap one of those to a bicycle and be happy, it's super easy to use with an ipod and even the stock sound system is great, don't bother with B&O unless you listen to a lot of rock, I'm more of a pop or dubstep guy.

Give the Q5 a shot, I promise you won't regret it.

-Alex

Q5 is def up there for me. I like reliability of Audi over BMW. But GLk is highly discounted compared to Q5, and with finance incentives thrown in, similar specd Q5 is close to $6,000 more than GLK. So that makes GLk very appealing since it is still a great vehicle.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Alex,

I did not comment on the Q5 as I have not owned one or driven one extensively. That will have to wait until January 21st, can't wait!

Norm
Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, not being harsh, but you are in an Audi Q5 forum and most of us, sans you two MB fanboys , have Q's --- what would you think we might suggest ?!?

Mfg's discount their cars because of supply and demand - in all scenario's it works quite well - until the gooberment skews things !

Either the MB's are not selling because of lack of popularity or
the Q's ARE selling because of popularity...

We chose the Q for my wife's daily commute after looking at the IOHO - butt ugly GLK and in the first 2 years of hard 40k miles, we've not had a hiccup...

with ANY vehicle, you can only judge reliability generically - because unless the mfg does not change anything on the car, it is a different car

someone's 2009 is NOT the same car as our 2011 and is not the same car as the 2013's...

good luck, and are discounts from an arbitrary retail price, really discounts?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are all different cars.

I still don't trust the BMW X3. I think people lease those and turn them back in and they get crushed somewhere in the midwest.

I think the GLK 350 is a nice car. I like the interior of it a lot. It was just too small for my liking. Back seat and cargo areas were very cramped. But I think for reliability, you can't go wrong with the GLK.

Stay away from Range Rover. I can't comment on the Evoque but Rover is historically British crap and always in the shop. Electrical problems, stupid things keep going wrong. The only Rover people should drive is one with a high ground cleareance, right hand drive, and spare tire mounted to the hood. That's it.

And you're on an Audi forum so of course I'm going to say go for the Q5.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see how anybody would love the interior of a GLK.

It just looks so cheap on a 40k plus vehicle.

Maybe you're talking about the '13 if it was improved..but the ones I've been inside. Not very good.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MB did make changes/improvements to the interior of the 2013 GLK. We were close to buying one and were impressed with the new interior. Of course, opinions will vary on something like this.

Quick Reply: Reliability - Q5 vs. X3 vs. GLK vs. Evoque